good speakers

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Martin, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jeffwii

jeffwii New Member

Sir, since you have both AudioEngine and Bose, ano mas maganda? I tried AudioEngine A5+ with the subs and Bose Companion 5 sa Greenbelt parang mas maganda Bose. Researched online, mas marami boto sa AudioEngine. Nalito tuloy ako. Not sure if I'm missing out on anything.

Any comments?

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

^ while i have no doubt that Bose will pull off amazing ear-pleasing tricks with their truespace software, i've always had a bias towards flat, zero enhancement, full-range reference monitors paired and balanced with a decent sub.

the A5+ has glowing reviews but strangely, TechHive doesn't classify it as a studio reference monitor, like M-Audio claims my AV40 set is. any idea why?

Audioengine's A5+ is a fun, affordable speaker system | TechHive

3. nazia

nazia Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

I connect my iPhone 4s to a Mackie 16 channel 1604 VLZ3 board through a Hafler SR2800 stereo amp (1400 watts per channel) out to 6 Community IHP1599 mains and a Rane AC22s crossover to a pair of Community VLF208 subwoofers powered by a QSC 2540.

Maybe not "best" but I like the way they sound

4. dopster00

dopster00 Member

I use this. It is as good as advertised. Bang for the buck bookshelf speakers.

If you plan to use it on an iMac, better get the D1s as well.

5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

got myself an early Christmas present :)

[​IMG]

quiet expensive even at discounted price but i'm sure it's worth it. besides, it replaces my 7 year old logitech speakers. purchase justified! ;)

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....wow...Focals. I saw that at Shang mall. Pretty nifty 2.1. Too rich for my blood so I settled for a pair of Audioengine A5+ (with discount, same price point as a mid-priced speaker dock (but better SQ). Like you, I like 'em flat (minimal coloration). Congrats.

7. C9

C9 Active Member

Auditioned the A5+ but was not impressed, especially at that price. Bookshelf speakers like even just the 6k Wharfendale diamonds with an integrated amp would have better sound quality? Had a NAD amp and KEF bookshelves before and I remember the sound to be crisper and better balanced. Still have the NAD amp but the KEFs have dulled thru time (had them serviced but they still lack clarity), so might just buy a new set of bookshelf speakers.

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....yes, I agree but the A5+ has one important advantage: footprint. I bought mine because I wanted a really compact system with minimal footprint that I can use for my bedroom audio/video activity (to lull me to sleep, to listen to some pleasant music, to watch old black and white films with a compact projector etc.). Wharfedales /amplifiers are much too big. Since the A5+ are self amplified and has provisions for both wired and wireless streaming, there's not much to add except source (from smartphones, tablets to CD/DVD players). Minimal clutter.

9. totolabradog

totolabradog Moderator
    Staff Member

Try your NAD amp with PSB Alpha bookshelves! Great match!

10. C9

C9 Active Member

Thanks for the tip, will check them out. My other old setup is a NAD 1300 preamp and and a big B&K st-202 amp. Sadly the KEF reference speakers paired with them have been neglected and needs replacement as well. Any tips for floor standing speakers, though more reasonably priced than my dear departed pair.

11. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

I'm planning to buy tabletop speakers for my room. Ideally a one or two piece setup w/ bluetooth so I can take it to parties without much rewiring. Budget is around 15-20k.

Planning to use it as well when I buy a TV soon. Are there any sound bars locally that fit my budget?

12. erictwendell

erictwendell New Member

Well presently I am using I ball speakers. The output is quite satisfying. But I was just wonder is there any newly launched better than mine are available???

13. morphine

morphine Active Member

i am currently breaking in a Harbeth p3esr for my system......

for my imac, my psb b6 will be ready until such time I can find myself a better DAC to connect to a vintage amps

i dont fancy tube amps

14. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^those (p3esr) are not good speakers, they are excellent! ;) My focals bow.

15. aries405

aries405 Member

[h=1]i use infinity primus 6 1/2 bookshelf speakers. great sound![/h]

16. morphine

morphine Active Member

accuphase + harbeth = silk.....

17. emsy

emsy Member

Harbeth for me!

18. specialbrew

specialbrew Member

From Bose Companion 3 Series 2, I'd switched to the old Altec Lansing ACS45.1. I think this model is from the 90's. Used just for my mac mini and my small room though. And the classic Bose 601 Series 3 speakers.

19. ZenFrancis

ZenFrancis Member

Can anybody give me reviews on the Braven Brv-X Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker? I was thinking of getting one but im not sure yet.. Any recommendations on good portable Bluetooth speakers designed for outdoors?

20. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Anyone here know where to buy this Marshall Acton Speaker?

[​IMG]