Going to the US for the first time

Discussion in 'Travel' started by teenidle00, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

2. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

3. airmax32

airmax32 Member

i suggest you just bring your own medicine from the Philippines. Medical insurance is not offered to tourists here.

4. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

greyhound buses were pretty decent in my experience (Minnesota to Chicago and back)

5. airmax32

airmax32 Member

sir mas mahirap mag drive sa east coast kesa sa west coast. pero sanayan lang yan. may delay ng konti ang gps sa new jersey

6. dcph172

dcph172 Member

i took a 10+hour greyhound commute from orlando to new orleans. the bus was clean and the stops were on time. the problem was the "crowd". some of them were dirty, noisy. and the driver was very very rude. never again.

we have this romanticized vision of the greyhound. and how americana it seemed. same goes with the diners. the diners ive been to are dirty, icky by middleclass filipino standards. but the food are good once you get pass the fact. Amtrak i have yet to try. but ive taken short train rides between nj and ny. all i saw was trees speeding by. haha

enjoy! dont bring many clothes na, enough na lang for a few days na kasya sa handcarry. shop when youre there then come home with two balikbayan boxes for luggages.

7. airmax32

airmax32 Member

blue cross does not offer medical insurance to tourists sir. before you get a refill of your prescription you need to see a doctor here in the us. they won't sell you the medicine that you need if they are not able to get get in touch with a local doctor. they won't call your doctor also in the Philippines. so bottomline just bring a lot of your medicine during that 30 day stay.

8. qt_arvin

qt_arvin Licensed Drug Pusher
    Staff Member

Yeah agree, sanayan nga lang....i live it South Carolina and driving is a breeze here. Driving in DC,MD,PA and NY (which i did 2 weeks ago) is quite an experience, but i enjoyed it.

9. airmax32

airmax32 Member

If I can drive there I could live there :)

10. sylvia.g

sylvia.g New Member

Yes, I've heard and seen the same thing and also the Greyhound buses are somehow the meeting point of a lot of strange people. Just keep that in mind. So +1 for cheap plane tickets.

11. airmax32

airmax32 Member

if you have the budget then just take the plane. go to travelocity.com to purchase your tickets. you get good deals on that web site.

12. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

Guys, are stuff like canned Corned beef/ dried fish/ bagoong/sinigang mix allowed to be brought to US?

TIA

13. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

Bagong is definitely not allowed. Why bring these items? These are all readily available at any Filipino supermarket in the US.

14. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i wouldn't even think about it. there's tons of these available in asian and pinoy food stores all over the states. i used to bring them in the old days, but not anymore.

15. morpheuzzz

morpheuzzz Member

Sorry if this reply doesn't exactly help the poster, but my curiosity got the better of me. Why would you even think of bringing corned beef?

On topic, IMHO, unless this is a dying person's last wish, you should not bring any food at all into the US. I remember my first time to go, and I was made to bring Pinoy sweets for my relatives. I honestly admitted to the inspector that I had food items to declare, and then, all 6-feet-5-inches of his guy suddenly put on a stern face, instructed me to get out of line, move to one side where I was to open my luggage and show these items to him. Of course after seeing they were just candies, he politely waved me through. But I have to say, I was scared for a while and told myself I don't want to experience that again.

#55 morpheuzzz, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  16. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

Thanks Sir Butch.

17. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Purefoods corned beef is better than US brands, IMO.

18. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Depends on which part of the US. In the Bay Area I had no problems finding my favorite Filipino products because of good and well stocked Asian/Filipino stores. I do remember years ago bringing Filipino products to the US, there were a few items the SFO IO's asked me about.

On a side note. My dad flew into Phoenix Sky Harbor over a month ago and he didn't use TSA approved locks (don't know how he got through inspection with those). So TSA broke his locks and got into his suitcase, it appeared that they checked the rice cooker he brought for us (which contained instant noodles :D). There was a standard note from TSA explaining what they had to do, basically break the lock and inspect the luggage. We think it may be because of the Boston Marathon incident, but who knows. :rolleyes:

19. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    My sister and her husband based in the US always brings those sinigang mixes whenever they go back to the US after a vacation in Manila. Their usual stash would be bottled calamansi concentrate, mango jam, and sometimes bottled sardines.

We brought some chicharon during a trip to the US back in 2011, and it was never checked/questioned. Maybe it's more strict now.

Tapos, last May, when my daughter went to Europe (Switzerland/France), she brought along two cans of Purefoods Corned Beef inside her suitcase. Nothing untoward happened naman.

In hindsight, maybe we shouldn't have let her bring those ano??

20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......better than canned goods na Pinoy is the skill to cook. Example: IMO, mas masarap ang adobo at bistek tagalog gawang Amerika kasi mas quality ang mga ingredients nila. Mas masarap din rice nila (partial ako sa Calrose long grain). Learn to cook Pinoy standard dishes and you won't miss home. Nung bagong salta ako dun, I had to force myself to learn how to cook (walang maid or cook) Pinoy dishes. Nagpaturo ako sa mga aunts ko dun na marunong. One mean dish I learnt was catfish (walang tilapia noon sa California) cooked in garlic, onions, tomatoes (plump California tomatoes) and Thai patis. Sabayan mo ng Calrose rice, ang sarap. To cope with the home sickness, I would eat sa mga Pinoy eateries sa L.A. Pleasant memories. BTT, just don't bring any food item. It is not worth the risk of being hassled by ICE agents.