going pro. advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by raze94, Sep 25, 2009.

1. raze94

raze94 Member

hello, i currently own a 2.4ghz unibody and im thinking about upgrading to either a 2.53 ghz 13" pro or a MB470 2.4ghz 15" pro. side by side the specs are about the same, and with the new 15" pros out now the 2.4ghz previous model has become quite affordable. actually the 13" pro and the MB470 are the same price. which would you guys recommend and why? thanks in advance peeps your help and input are greatly appreciated!

miguel

2. algonzales96

algonzales96 New Member

the mb470 has a dedicated video card... the 13 has an internal batt (good or bad depends on you) i have both... i like the 15 for the screen and video card but i like the 13 for portability... so i really depends on what you are gonna use it for :)

3. RC

RC Active Member

I'd take the latest model whenever upgrading to a new platform...

Being that the latest one here is "more portable" gives me another reason to like it more...

My vote goes to the 13" Pro

4. raze94

raze94 Member

i just realized that the MB470 only has 2gb of ram, but has a dedicated video card which saves about 250mb of ram. hmmmmm.....

@RC i really like your point!;)

5. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

i love my MBA 13" but still have this itch for the MB470, so i say go for the 15" since their almost the same price, you get the benefit of the discrete graphics. :D

6. joy08

joy08 Member

my vote is for 15" mbp more power and bigger screen .

7. noldy

noldy Member

Go for 15 inch if you are not travelling too much with your laptop. Almost the same price, bigger screen, and excellent graphic.

8. macbuboy

macbuboy Member

15inch for me too.. 13inch is, yes, portable.. but i want a bigger screen. :)

9. raze94

raze94 Member

thanks for all the input peeps. its looking like the 15 inchers are winning this one. its funny though a lot of the mac users i meet are using 13" macbooks though. hmmm?

10. glennp00

glennp00 Member

Go for the 13",for me its just the right size and after several years we can just upgrade the ram to 8gb when it becomes affordable

11. notoryus

notoryus Member

If your upgrade can wait for another six months, it is much better. Mobile i7 processors are now being adopt by most notebook companies, who knows apple is pilot testing its new mbp right at this moment. hehehe btw, if you cannot wait, my vote is to get the mbp 15" with the dedicated gpu.

12. raze94

raze94 Member

this is actually really good advice. hmmmmm....... i think maybe upgrading the ram of my macbook unibody to 4gb might just hold off the upgrade to a new mac for 6 months. maybe not! i just got information that there will be bpi madness starting october 7 3x the credit limit! ahhhhhh!

13. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

get the 15" macbook pro. you can upgrade anything else, like harddrive and ram, but the screen size is priceless

14. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

here's my take on this.. if this is will be your only computer and most likely will do everything here, then take the one with the higher specs.. if the specs are close then decide if you want the bigger screen or the more portable one. if i was on your part, id get either of the two and get a 20+ inch lcd from samsung, that way i can have a portable and just plug it in on abigger screen when im at home...

15. rjsant5

rjsant5 Member

If you like portability then go for MBP 13". If you like more power and dedicated video card which is great for gaming and other video intensive software and if you don't care about the added size then go for MBP 15".

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm with the others for you to get the older 2.4 15 inch unibody because: (besides the dedicated video card)

1) Bigger and higher resolution screen
    2) Express card slot
    3) Similar performance
    4) Removable battery
    5) the 15 is only a little bit bigger then the 13 (Apple portables are pretty slim for their class)
    6) Your Macbook Pro is 15 inch and bigger then the 13 inch so people think its more expensive. :D

Edit: Oh looking at your sig, it seems you bought the 15 incher already. Congrats.

#16 Salaryman Ryan, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  17. raze94

raze94 Member

i am stuck in a state of limbo. i truly appreciate all the great advice here. ive done my research and im leaning towards the mb470. ive found at least 3 suppliers who have this model in stock and the payment options couldnt get any better. i have my choice of cash, card, and zero interest. whats stopping me now is my fear of what mac has in store for us first quarter of 2010.:confused:

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Since you already have a Unibody Macbook (sorry I mistook it for a Pro) then you are correct. It might be a waste to purchase a 15 incher now. If the rumors are true that the new Macbook Pros will get a new generation of processor then it is worth the wait but it might be longer then you think. Many speculate that the iMacs will get the upgrade first before the Macbooks.

19. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

my vote is for the 15 inch too. As stated by salaryman, the 15inch size isn't is just a tad bigger than the 13 inch. if you're a guy, i guess the weight difference will not be a big deal and you get better specs. MBPs or MB aren't really thick compared to most windows laptops, so i think the 15 inch is still sleek and light. Plus i like salaryman's reason no 6

20. pale_lips

pale_lips Member

i vote for mbp 13" too, i like slim and sexy :D