Go Pro HD Hero

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by pilgrim28, Jan 11, 2011.

1. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

#1 pilgrim28, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i thought of getting one when i was active in MTB. but cameras are not allowed in triathlon races, so less use for me.

i know a few guys who have it, and many seem to like it. there's also contour HD, which has similar capabilities, but is less popular locally.

3. elbert

elbert Active Member

4. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

this is what we use during our rides. quality is great, but the downside is the battery life. recording on full hd will also eat a lot of memory, so be prepared in buying 16-32gb mem cards. it's also a hit and miss thing bec the interface is terrible and won't let you preview. be prepared in buying extra mounts too. nonetheless, it's a great gadget and captures great vids naman and serves its purpose well.

the countour looks promising though, which has the option in streaming videos to your iphone. saw the countour from a friend a few days ago and asked him if he could try bringing it in the country. he will try daw.

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

contour hd can now stream to a smartphone via bluetooth, so you can actually see what's being recorded. for instance, the camera can be mounted on your helmet, while the smartphone is mounted on the handlebar.

much like anything else, value depends on your usage context and budget. but if user base matters, go pro has a larger community.

but ultimately, it's what you do with FPV cameras (first person view) that will get people to take notice. so let her rip! :)

7. bribri

bribri Member

borrowed it from my friend for our tagaytay funruns. its nice and cute but doesnt have any playbacks.
    [​IMG]

get one today and be a hero!
    [​IMG]

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

Personally, I don't mind the crudeness of not being able to preview or review the footage on the GoPro. That allows it to be more rugged and packaged in a small form.

The battery isn't all that great, but really, how much footage do you need? If you keep it running for a couple of hours straight, editing that footage becomes such a chore. I've set my HD Hero to a lower scale to extend the battery life. I shoot at 720p/30fps wide (it also does 1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps).

The GoPro is everywhere. When the SLS was first introduced as the new F1 pace car, it had a GoPro mounted on its roof. Many car reviewers, including Top Gear UK, use GoPro.

9. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Guys, thank you for the replies.

@ Rbenzon and Randy - I saw the comparison video of the contour HD and the HD Hero and seems that the GoPro video quality and color is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpvQwSAv2Po

@Elbert - That was a bumpy and fast ride! Was it the mounting? Thanks for the contact, I initially called Aquamondo over at Amorsolo, Makati and they gave me a good price, will give Carlo a call.

@bribri - any videos you have uploaded recently? shameless plug huh? :D

10. supacow

supacow Member

11. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Nice video, for the Helmet Hero, is the kit provided enough to mount it on your bike or did you have to modify/add brackets?

Did you get yours locally or abroad?

[​IMG]

12. supacow

supacow Member

the open helmet strap can be mounted virtually anywhere with parallel poles/bars around. In the video, I mounted it under my aerobars, and beside my rear tire. Held OK on its own. I wish I had a C-Clamp mount so I can mount it on any tube on the bike.

The kit only comes with mounts for the helmet but you can improvise like what I did in the video. Gopro does sell a separate handle bar mount but I think you'll have to get that online.

Got this used from my uncle and I think I got it abroad. How much do these guys go for locally?

13. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Still deciding between the Helmet and Motorsport HERO, the difference from the Naked version is just around 1.3k so it makes sense to get the additional mounting options rather than Naked + Mounts. The price i got was around 12k for the Naked and 13.5k for either Helmet or Motorsport.

This one is in my bucket list, indeed amazing!

[​IMG]

and a cool underwater video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJEBllcrwIM

14. supacow

supacow Member

wow. that's pretty cheap. Who sells them at that price?

15. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

16. supacow

supacow Member

Thanks! I'll check them out. I hope they also sell mounts!

17. supacow

supacow Member

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

does anyone here know if GoPro mounts use a standard-sized *bolt*? that is, can i use GoPro mounts to mount other cameras?

EDIT: i guess the answer is no. just found out that GoPro sells tripod mounts, which implies that a tripod bolt isn't enough. correct?

19. shotgun

shotgun Member

I've got the non-HD version, used it on some rides, but the type of cycling i do is loooong and frankly boring to look at video. It's simple to set up, and as long as you like editing videos afterwards I think it's a good buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifo3GWu4XZA

20. pure_performance

This is a great product. I mount it on our jetski and go underwater with it all the time with no problems. A much cheaper alternative to underwater cases for HDSLRs.