Globe's new policy on mobile data

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by Jess, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i have 2 mobile phones, 1 postpaid and 1 prepaid. my postpaid plan is under plan 1799 with 11GB data. the past few days i observed that my prepaid mobile data was faster than my postpaid mobile data. absurd right? so i called a Globe CSR to inquire what's going on and CSR told me that there is a new policy which that Globe will throttle your speed once you reached a certain GB. what is odd is based on my account i've only used 10GB of 11GB allocation and here is my data now as slow as a snail. i used to pay 1500 (999 + 501) and doesn't experience any slowdown - my data consumption is around 10-20gb a month.

i am extremely disappointed that Globe did not even notify me of this change in policy that affects my account and that they are again penalizing loyal postpaid users and not even showing back some love. lol!

what a d*ck move Globe!

danlincoln and Sunil_K like this.
  2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

If you are constantly availing of their anti-bill shock system, they do throttle your data. Previously, it would require you to consume more than 20-80GB to have it kick in, but now it seems like either you avail Platinum plans or just deal with it (as there are no data add ons above 20GB).

This move seems to prevent users from just availing 999+501(ABS) and have parity with Platinum unli surf add on.

#2 rdy0329, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

again. they are changing the rules after they lock in your plan.

4. lekramones

lekramones New Member

I have this problem as well. I'm using ABS since 2014.
    I also called globe twice as I am not satisfied with my first call and talked to 4 CSR(2 L1 and 2 L2). They told me that their policy was updated last June 16. So I asked the CSR why Globe didn't send me a message or email about this and sabi nila it's in the contract that they can change the policy anytime they want. So I asked the CSR if they can lift the throttle of my data speed and apply it next month since I was not notified about the policy update and they told me na wala daw silang access.

5. rdy0329

How bad is bad though? 128kbps? I'd like to know since I don't go over my data allowance.

If its around 1-2mbps, I'd say its fair for Globe to do such a move as they have offers way above the 999+501ABS scheme which would have questionable value for would-be Platinum subs.

They can't lift data provisioning since those are system encoded (If they want to cater to your request, they will need to disable the whole throttling system for everyone). I'd wager they use the same dynamic throttling employed by Verizon in the US. If your tower is congested, you get the least priority over someone who is 1. Platinum or 2. Have yet to use up their data allowance and 3. Prepaid subscribers.

6. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

I overlooked my outstanding balance and paid online via their website but I entered the wrong amount, short of 6.96 petots. BUT, they don't wanna reconnect unless my outstanding balance of 6.96 petots is settled.

I am a postpaid Globe subscriber since 1999. Wala man lang konting pang-unawa.

7. Jess

it is bad man that it is unacceptable. i can't play pokemon go, downloading a 26mb podcast takes eternity. for me globe should have a mechanism that if you are not doing torrents or the likes you should be allowed and not be throttled. to compound the problem most of their CSRs doesn't know what they are saying and some will give vague answers.

8. rdy0329

If thats the case, then its not acceptable as you said. Throttle shouldn't mean unusable.

9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

i always have 2 postpaid plan and a prepaid for backup. never had issues with data throttling.

10. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

so first they remove the 999 unlimited, replaced it with 999+501 for anti bill shock unlimited, i wonder what will they offer next? 2k for unlimited surfing? i'm really not those who torrent large files but i really dont want to be bothered with keeping up with data whether i'm within the limit or not, its just added stress, i do hope they just go ahead and offer another pricing tier for their unlimited, dun din naman ang punta nyan, same with what they did before, its just a way to get more money, again. I understand its business of course its about the money, but as a "loyal" sub, its just like a thief in the night when they hit you suddenly with a cap, then ask for more money, just like paying a ransom hehe...

on a side note, for platinum, how much for unlimited internet? thanks in advance :)

11. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Additional 999 to get unlimited
    It can be deducted from the consumable

shootertwist likes this.
  12. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

My brother's line was affected by this. He is also paying 501 ABS but it is useless now.

13. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is the reason i decided to ditch my postpaid plan and go prepaid.
    It is also cheaper for me.
    500 mins+1000sms+1gb=288.00
    Additional 500mins+20sms+1Gb=42.00

Good for 30 days.
    Unused allocations gets rooled over to the next month if you renew your registration before it expires

suavecito likes this.
  14. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

i still stick with SMART they increased their ABS to 2.5k but they never throttled data. what's the use o ABS if you can't even use it. parang HK telco after 6GB monthly FUP wala na.

15. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

What does this mean for abs999 users? How do they charge them?

16. Jess

although we sign documents that allows them to change the rules in the middle of the contract, NTC or other government institutions should not allow these kind of unfair powerplays by Globe and other telcos. I am ok that they implement throttling for heavy torrent users but what if you download legit stuffs like game updates on your ps4 or a couple of the movies in your cloud?

this is another money grab.

17. rdy0329

Nothing. Most likely they'll just go on overusing without reaching the hard cap of 20-50GB. The policy extends to people who use their mobile data as broadband replacement which is what Globe is trying to discourage.

18. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

They should just remove the abs option. Once data is consumed, no more internet. You have to purchase add ons.

19. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Or perhaps they should bring back "unlimited" data and implement a simple rule (which they should be upfront about) of throttling users down to an acceptable speed after reaching a certain usage (22GB is the new norm in the US, to cite an example) when there is a network congestion in a specific area.

20. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

I've been receiving SMS notification saying that my unbilled usage has reached 1500 something. So I guess its now 999+1500

From @Talk2Globe:

For Postpaid lines, we've recently had a change in data charging. With the new Surf Guard, subscribers will now be able to consume up to 750 MB of data, equivalent to P1500 (P2/MB) on top of their Plan Monthly Service Fee before experiencing a zero-rated browsing which has a minimum speed. Compared to the Anti Bill-shock, which only has a fixed bill cap of up to P1500 (P3000 for subscribers of GoSURF 1799 or higher) before triggering the minimum speed, this offers more data allowance to spare. The previous data policy offers a more limited "extra" allocation since it is bound to a lower amount of bill cap. Have this for reference: 1 MB = P2 • Surf Guard (new): GoSURF999 8GB + P1500/750 MB = P2499 for a total of 8.75GB vs. • Anti Bill-shock (older version): GoSURF999 6GB + P501/250 MB = P1500 for 6.25GB Notice that you will be able to enjoy high browsing speed through the entire month with Surf Guard compared to Anti Bill-shock. Also, the data allocation now refreshes every first day of the month. If you have additional queries, please tell us. If none, we will then consider your concern as closed. Thank you for reaching to us!

#20 hokage6, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017