Globe's Mobile Number Portability (MNP)

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by King, Jun 4, 2021.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

24 hours after announcement of Mobile Number Portability (MNP) I filled a request with Globe to port a Globe personal prepaid to corporate postpaid.

Their system rejected the request.

Hence we are forced to use a new number

2. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Did they tell you why it was rejected?

3. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I also applied via globe one, and after receiving an oyp, it redirected me to new plan application. I filled up the info needed , then later got a call. I told the caller that im porting my prepaid number to postpaid, but was told they dont know how that works. Ended up cancelling the application as it was only for a new line, not porting my prepaid number.

4. King

Globe's system auto rejects. So no choice but to issue a different #.

When end user receives new phone I will ask if they still make an attempt.

5. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Seems like a failure of portability lol

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…birthing pains but the telcos have been preparing for this new law for many months now. Dapat plansado from the get go.

7. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

I also tried porting my prepaid number to postpaid thru the Globe One app. It didn't work because it says my sim needed to be replaced at a Globe store. I ended up applying for MNP at the store and got the postpaid account with the old number activated a week later.

8. King

How greedy of Globe demanding we do it on premises during a pandemic. They should be called out on it.

Same thing with QR codes for eSIM. Whole purpose of QR codes is to make things easier to do. So long as documentary requirements are complete via email then it should be good enough.

Hero33 likes this.
  9. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don’t get why they can’t implement transfer of ESim electronically.

they have an app they can use to confirm I own the number. Why make us go there physically? Charges? They can charge me electronically (although transferring my e sim every year has been free for my iPhones).

10. King

My guess is to create enough friction to slow down identify theft.

max_Moon and rdy0329 like this.
  11. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

anyone able to successfully port their prepaid to postpaid using globe one?
    i tried thrice already, all failures

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

This. Globe One is not secure enough to handle the whole process. I can register a family member's account to my Globe One app and do requests from there.

They made it harder to replace a sim. 24H delay in signal loss for the old sim + call verification on the number itself to confirm with the user. Annoying but can help delay any bank account and otp raids.

Smart replacement sim cards were prone to the OTP fraud where a scammer can buy a 10 peso LTE sim and call another SMART subscriber and ask for the OTP. Once done, the signal of that number is on the new sim.

Mind you, The wording on the SMS was very clear about what will happen and even warn about never sharing with anyone.

We have to wait a bit more for seamless self-serve solution. I'm glad to see text blast of anti fraud tips/campaign from banks, NTC and even telcos. If the telcos see less incidence of fraud, they might loosen up their policies and that's only through proper education about digital identity & privacy.

#12 rdy0329, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    potpot2 likes this.
  13. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Not directly related to number porting, but both Globe and Smart had revamped the process around the self-service LTE SIM upgrades. Both networks now require that the new blank sim be inserted in the same phone as they verify the IMEI where the old SIM is being used before the new one is activated. The process is so "sensitive" that it asks you to insert the new SIM in the same SIM slot in case your phone has two SIM slots.

14. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

The level of absurdity has reached peak levels. Are fraudsters that sophisticated?

15. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

yes, they are planning how to avoid the law, and can't come up with a good plan, so after such delays, they decided to make getting the USC hardest possible that tou have to book an appointment and line with crowds at their physical store and told you their system is down, under maintenance, upgrading, etc, but porting in easiest possible via online,
    what a bulok na telcos we have and DTI that is no use at all.

16. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

actually I done changing my sim with Smart postpaid which I simply need to change my micro sim to nano sim which their system is upgrading (for almost 6 months) and I was given an upgrade sim which I thought is for prepaid only, but was told it MIGHT, take note thats from their mouth that it might work with postpaid, until I can't wait anymore I give it a try but no success many times until give up and after a month, I tried it again with another phone, guess-it works, suddenly my original sim has no signal then I insert the new sim and my line was transferred.

17. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

I just saw an internal memo on number portability. The law does not benefit DITO & hurts Globe.

No wonder Globe's foot dragging my buddy's 6 postpaids by over 3 weeks.

I spoke to a dozen persons who ported and these are their experiences.

Prepaid to prepaid is is as easy as going to Brand X's Store doing over the counter documentation then going to Brand Y's Store and completing the other documentary requirements.

X's SIM signal goes down and Y"s SIM signal goes up now with the ported number.

Postpaid to postpaid takes more time even when its out of contract and fully settled. Brand Y will not give feedback. I suggested to Brand X's account manager to have their customer write a letter addressed to the NTC with full documentation & timeline of their porting.

Porting number within the same brand from prepaid to postpaid is quick.

I have postpaids that will be ported by December & January so wish me luck.

18. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

I had ported my TNT to Globe postpaid and took 1 1/2 weeks to process.

had to escalate it to TCI before they took action.

19. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

For Globe users text USC to 5050.

Has anyone tried that?