globe's bogus/unwanted data charges

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by bhoyetjumpay, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Nicky

Nicky Member

Graduate ka na? Congratulations! :)

PS: May mini panic attacks pa rin ako whenever I receive and open my Globe e-bill. Force of habit. :p But for the past several months, so far so good.

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

hahaha, graduate na at last pero malamang mag masteral o doctorate pa ako:p let see if still happens when i will activate my data next month

3. gabobito

gabobito Member

Wow we have the same dilemma. Exactly the same. I was charged 2 days of unlisurf roaming data, but my cellular data was off. And I also started to doubt myself if I accidentally forgot to turn it off, but the days they charged me was on my 2nd week of travel and the time was 4am in the morning!
    The usage was also 1440.00. Plus, I didn't receive my bill for that billing period and now, for the current billing period, I was surprised to see that I need to pay an additional 1000++ over my 1799 bill.

I just called 221 to have it reversed, they say I should email globe so I did. I hope they reverse it. Kung 100 php ipapagpaliban ko na yan pero 1k is quite big!

blessie15 likes this.
  4. gabobito

gabobito Member

Just an update on my situation, as expected, Globe answered my email very vaguely. In the end of the email, all I can get is that they will not reverse their wrong charges on me. Here is the email conversation that we had:

From me:
    To whom it may concern,

I would like to request for extraction of usage in my Globe Postpaid Bill #26 (billing period 13 June 2015 - 12 July 2015). My account number is xxxx and my mobile number is xxxx.

I was billed an additional amount of P1,069.64 for roaming charges which I did not avail. I was out of the country during that time but I never requested for Roam Unli Surf for July 6 and July 8, 2015, which was what stated in the bill. I already called Globe's hotline 211 today and was able to talk to a customer service representative named Jay. He told me to email my concern to globe via this email address. He also advised me to just pay the usual monthly fee of P1799 as of now, while this issue is being sorted out.

Then they replied:
    Good day!

Sorry for the inconvenience this may caused you but in as much that we would like to address your request, this is already beyond our scope. We are unable to provide a list of your data usages because transmission of data is done in a secured manner and there is no way for us to retrieve it from the system. Thus, we don’t have an access to view it while we are only to provide the total size in KB/total duration in minutes of your data transactions. Please refer to your statement of account.

So, I tried calling 211 again and the agent who answered me said he will file for another request for my concern. He checked the system and said that the data on my phone was turned on then turned off during those days. But I refuse to believe it because I always turn off my data before leaving the country. Anyway, to make the long story short, he said he will try to half the charge (I don't know if this will work), but I requested that the whole thing be reversed because I really didn't use it. But he said that is all that he can do. He told me to wait for someone to call me within 24 hours. But checking my bill online, it is still the same bill, no reversal or changes have been made.

Now, 24 hours have gone, and no call from Globe yet. So I decided to call 211 again. Gave them the ref number that I was given yesterday and to my surprise, my reference number was actually for a gadget care plan which I don't even have! Ano ba yan? So I complained again, said the same story to this new agent. She now said that she will call me back this afternoon. I don't even believe she will call back.

Anyone have any suggestion on what I can do now?

#184 gabobito, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. Nicky

Nicky Member

^ Keep fighting until you get your way, whether it's by 211 or in person at a Globe Store. You are bound to find a CSR who will accommodate you.
    Sadly, you won't get a resolution until a few months have lapsed.

And remove your Globe SIM from your phone next time you're out of the country.

6. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Don't waste any more sanity for Globe. Just don't pay it. Keep a note of these transactions handy when Globe follows up.

7. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i'm sick and tired (b***s**t!) regarding globe's bogus/unwanted data charges, for the past 17 months of calling 211, going to globe stores, messaging thru twitter and emailing and yet globe didn't give any resolution, (at least they give me rebates:)) so i have to change my plan from my fully loaded plan to my lifestyle plan since they assured that data charges will be accurate o_O

8. gabobito

gabobito Member

Thanks for the replies. I really have no intention of paying it. Patigasan na lang. I will continue to follow up the concern to them but I will not pay it. My contract ends with them on December, so let's see what happens by then.

9. gabobito

gabobito Member

Well, tried my luvk again this morning with 211... And i was able to speak to an accommodating CSR. They finally agrEed to waive the bogus charges off! Very thankful for that. At first they wanted to just waive 50% off the charge, but I said, can't they make it 100% since I didn't use it anyway. Then they finally said that okay they will waive it off since we have been loyal globe subscribers who paid their bills on time and this was the first time we requested for extraction of usages.

I am thankful that this has come to a good ending. But I am still disappointed in the way globe handled the issue. They should be taking care of their subscribers, and not trying to make us feel like idiots when they say that we might have accidentally turned the data on without knowing...it is really hard to turn the data on "accidentally" for the iphone because it needs to clicks to turn it on.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

ROAM UNLISURF 599 is the default service when you go out of the country. When i was in HK last month, i accidentally switch on my cellular data for about 3 seconds.. 5kB i think is consumed in that span based on data counter.

When i got my bill, i was charged 599 for that 5kb of data. I try to complain thru globe hotline but the CSR said that ROAM UNLISURF 599 is the default service when you use data abroad.

11. gabobito

gabobito Member

Babayaran ko naman yung unli surf kung ginamit ko nga sya or accidentally turned on the data. But the problem is hindi ko sya na-on because the log they had listed that it happened 2am in the morning.

Clearly a glitch in their system and they won't even try to correct it and would make their subscribers pay for it, unless magpursige si subscribe na ireklamo ito sa kanila. Hindi ko sya fault so nagmatigas ako.

I also don't buy their suggestion na kung mag out of the country, kailangan mo pang itawag sa kanila na i-off ang data mo. Para saan pa yung sa phone na on/off toggle kung useless din yung feature na yun. Pero dahil they tend to mess up, better safe than sorry na lang at itatawag ko na lang next time to turn off my data.

12. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

quick solution take out your sim when going out of the country period.

13. essay

essay Active Member

But this won't allow one to call and text while overseas. While abroad, I use viber, FB messenger, or email to communicate for free. But I need my globe mobile for emergency text and quick calls.

(I' ve been a victim of this erroneous billing twice already. Glad the CSR I talked to reversed it 100% in both occasions.)

It's globe's shortcoming for charging us erroneously, why would I "punish" myself by deactivating even the most basic call and text abroad.

:)

14. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

just get a local prepaid sim where you're going. i usually have local sims of singapore and HK.

15. Nicky

Nicky Member

On the flip side, why would you punish yourself for calling Globe's CSR for reversing charges, a process that should have been needless in the first place.
    But I guess you like to have the emergency calls/texts option to have peace of mind. Your prerogative. :)

16. DATC

DATC Member

I experienced this recently. My latest billing showed P599 of roaming charges in HKG but I was pretty sure that my data roaming was off. I used the free wifi at the airport at that time.

The first CSR I called insisted that I activated my data roaming, and that the charges are system generated so he couldn't do anything about it. I then asked for proof that I activated it. After putting me on hold, he corrected himself that I automatically got charged when I started using data. I then insisted that my point exactly was that I never turned on my data roaming. Fortunately, he offered to reverse my charges at that point, except that there was a system problem so he couldn't perform the reversal at that time, and asked me to call back after giving me a ticket number. On my next call, the CSR simply confirmed that my P599 charge would be reversed. A few hours after that call, I received a text message from Globe confirming my P599 bill adjustment.

17. gabobito

gabobito Member

Good for you that you weren't given a hard time getting a reversal. In my case, I asked how they said that it is a valid charge and all they said was since it was overseas, it is up to their partner company abroad and they cannot say how The data suddenly turned on.

But as the others here said, just keep on trying until you find the CSR who is willing to reverse the charges.

It is sad that we still have to resort to removing our sims or asking globe to turn off our data when we go abroad. The phone has the function to turn on/off data for user convenience and we paid for this convenience when we bought the phone (which is not exactly cheap). It should be then up to the carrier to make sure that their subscribers get the best service because we are paying them for it, whatever our plan or even for prepaid subscribers. Having to do things like removing your sim, calling globe etc means that we are not getting the best service from them and there is a lot of room for improvement (and not just from globe, but from all telcos in the Philippines).

18. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone who had the same experience as mine regarding data consumption that showed just after 2 days of your billing cut-off? My data allocation reset to '0gb' used but right after 2 days, it showed that I already consumed/used 2GB of data. I always monitor my data usage since globe stop their unli data plan. I make sure that the cellular data is always 'off' since I'm always on wifi and I just turn it 'on' when I needed it most. Auto update was 'off' even background app refresh. I noticed it recently since after my cut-off date, for 2 days, i was only at home. I experienced this I think for 2-3 months already since February of this year.

19. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

it looks like globe will never fix this issue with their system. this has been happening for a very long time and is really a money grabbing scam.

gabobito likes this.
  20. DATC

DATC Member

So I got hit with these unwanted data charges a second time. In my last post, I got one day of P599 charges which Globe agreed to reverse.

On another trip, I got two days of P599 charges. I called Globe, and they insisted these charges were valid, but offered to reduce the charges by 50% which I outright refused, since I simply did not use the data roaming. After some back and forth, they agreed to reverse all charges, but with a warning that "this would be the last time....".

I asked the CSR to explain how it is possible that even with my data roaming switched off on my phone, I was still getting hit with these charges. She couldn't explain it, but said that other customers call Globe to deactivate roaming before travelling. I think it's a ridiculous solution to even suggest, since we also need that option to use data roaming, if and when we need it.

Is there anyone here from Globe that can tell us if this is actually a system error?

From my 30 minute conversation with the Globe CSR, it was evident she was not aware of their product. She didn't seem to be aware that the P599 data roaming is charged automatically when data is first used abroad, good for 24 hours. She was trying to tell me that I should just register for the P599 unli surf plans from *143# before I leave for abroad. I gave up at that point, since I already got my charges reversed anyway.