Globe Telecom to launch 5G Q2 2019

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by AVG, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

A little bit off topic. What happened with the talks of making it easier for telcos to put up cell sites? Or even having a third party company to build cell sites for the telcos?
    Red tape is primarily the reason that our telcos have been giving on why we don’t have enough cell sites. Why not get rid of that reason and see if it will actually improve? Can that not be done with just an executive order??

wingatu and OwlAlpha26 like this.
  2. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

We are not the US population. If their 4G is keeping up on good quality why not in our demographic? Yes we must progress to 5G but it is not time yet. IMHO.

raypin and prof_er like this.
  3. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about in terms of quality vs the price vs the demography.

4. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Redtape goes high up to the Senate. You need the Congress approval for a telecom franchise. Executive order will not stand if questioned in the court and most likely TRO will be issued.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....5G nodes or antennas are much smaller and they occupy a smaller footprint. Roll-out of 5G will be much quicker (attached to street lighting, sides of buildings etc.). Traditional cell towers need 28 or so different permits, from national to local government units (bulokcracy) hence the huge backlog of cell towers.

So, I m thinking that the installation of 5G nodes will be much quicker since the transactions will be between the owners of those buildings (in urbanized areas) and the telcos or the electric utilities like Meralco and the telcos or the subdivisions and the telcos. Private to private.

wingatu likes this.
  6. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I’m just talking about putting up cell sites and not having another telco player. As what raypin said putting up cell sites requires 20+ permit. Can’t the president just put up an executive order saying that instead of 20+ permit it would be just 5 or something.
    Having 5g will not really help in the congestion since 5g phones are expected to be very expensive for the next couple of years.

7. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember reading online that some implementations of 5G is as simple as a software update for preexisting cellular towers. Of course this will incur a licensing fee from Huawei or other telcom hardware provider.

5G rollout like previous LTE & 3G rollouts are initially done in areas with the highest densities of postpaid subscribers. So that would be the Makati, Ortigas and BGC CBU. They only need 1 cell site each just to claim that they have 5G.

It helps in marketing your plans to new and existing customers.

Like Petron's marketing of Blaze 100RON octane will result in a Honda City performing like a Ferrari.

We're a long ways away from topping LTE speeds as other countries are speedier by a factor of 5 than us. Not to mention how well our network is designed.

When I upgrade my iPhones I tend to lean on getting the S model rather than the non-S one that gets the first version of new cellular modems like LTE. The reason being that the Globe & Smart's network wouldnt be mature enough for the new modem to be worth buying early. Even 2 years later their network wouldn't be that widespread.

If you want Smart & Globe to rollout better infrastructure is turn the ~4% postpaid of SIM accounts with their ARPU to ~96% with the same ARPU. Remove stupid red tape preventing the rollout or telecom infrastructure from 6 months to 6 hours. Solidify legislature to be more pro consumer without ambiguous text that allows stupid loopholes. Lower the bar of entry of a 3rd telco. Allow anyone to have an international backbone other than PLDT.

The ultimate goal here is 1,000Mbps for P1,000/month for Fiber and 100GB for P1,000/month for 5G data. As someone pointed out the Thais did it and they're better for it.

I on the other hand am more pragmatic. This year I am hoping for PLDT offering unlimited 50Mbps with landline for less than P1,500. It's good enough for three 4K streams of Netflix.

#67 Adarna, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    raypin and wingatu like this.
  8. raypin

Mm...no clear leadership in the DICT. Incoming pa rin kasi si Honasan (who finishes his term as Senator this June or is he out of DICT? Ang gulo. ) so caretaker mode pa rin ang DICT. They know what the problems are with regards to cell towers. They made a lot of noise about allowing third parties in the cell tower construction business. What is the status? Only Bran the Broken knows (sorry, still in GOT mode). DICT was created in 2016 to help improve telecom services in the country. Until now, I don't know what a separate, line department has accomplished to better telecom services in the country. Two years and And a half years: what have we gotten from DICT? Zip. Zero. Nada.

#68 raypin, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Honasan might be facing an issue -- lawmakers creating an agency which they will be leading after their term as lawmaker. I think there is a law that prohibits this.

When it comes to telecommunication, DICT does not have balls. They can't make NTC regulate the telcos and make sure that they follow the laws. NTC needs to be revamped, and weed out people there who are on the payroll. ;)

raypin likes this.
  10. oaba09

oaba09 Member

I agree with the FIBER pricing but 1000 php for 100 GB mobile data may not be realistic based on worldwide trends....

11. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Today 1GB is P16.67... give it time... the price will go down further.

12. AVG

AVG Active Member

Globe launches 5G-powered Globe At Home Air Fiber

“Globe, in partnership with Huawei, has launched the first commercial 5G fixed wireless internet in SEA in the form of the Globe At Home Air Fiber 5G.

It will be available to eligible customers (initially available in select areas in Pasig, Cavite, and Bulacan) on July 2019

———
    Guess this is the start? I expected higher speeds tbh :whistle:

13. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

PLDT & Globe's DSL services are being pressured to price match fiber. 5G doesn't help this matters any.

Smart thing for PLDT & Globe to do is retire the DSL service and go all in on fiber and 5G.

May be painful at first but they will be able to deliver 100Mbps at 1,299/month with dynamic IP address and landline

They're staggering deployment to maximize profit before 3rd telco starts full operation.

14. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

They shouldn't. They should have a wide lead if they want to be able to retain existing customers and win over holdouts of the third telco.

15. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

They'll adjust pricing and contracts months before 3rd telco starts operation.

Again, if you want to solve the stupid internet and mobile phone problem follow the Thailand or Singapore models of deregulation.

This is assuming the people want it that way...

16. raypin

Mm...

so much for stupid 5G.

17. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

18. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Question is, what type of 5G are they deploying? I hope it is sub 6ghz or even sub 9ghz. mmWave 5G is a joke, specially if you look at verizon in the US.

19. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Same question. Thing is, countless press releases and "tech news sites" have already reported on the 5G launches of both Globe and Smart, yet not a single mention of or inquiry as to which type of network they're using. But I'm guessing Globe and Smart are deploying sub-6.

Shinahashirome likes this.
  20. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Yeah I hope it's sub-6 at least there are tangible benefits in terms of signal coverage. A use case for mmWave deployment is within malls, hospitals, or airports as distance won't usually be a problem. But then again, it depends on the cost of deployment on their end. So here's to hoping that regardless of which band they deploy, we get better coverage, speed, and latency as consumers.