Globe Telecom to launch 5G Q2 2019

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by AVG, Jun 8, 2018.

1. AVG

AVG Active Member

"Globe Telecom Inc. said it will commercially roll out its fifth-generation wireless technology service with speeds of up to 100 megabits per second by the second quarter of 2019.

Globe president and chief executive Ernest Cu said the 5G technology would enable Globe to use Air Fiber technology in relation to deployment of fixed wireless broadband that would benefit individual customers at home and business clients."

Source: Manilastandard.net

----
    Thoughts anyone?

2. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Why do I think this will be WiMax and LTE@Home all over again, where the network will eventually get congested and not reach their promised plan speeds.

5G wireless also sounds like an excuse not to roll out the trusted and more reliable fiber optics to the countryside.

rdy0329, cybersniper and AVG like this.
  3. AVG

AVG Active Member

This is what I'm thinking as well. My experience with their 4G network is really bad unlike when it first came out it was fast (maybe because few device has 4G enabled phones and sim back then). I think it's wise to strengthen their 4G LTE first or even adopt VoLTE, WiFi Calling, esim? (So Apple watch cellular would work here)

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's all about RF spectrum utilization. The LTE RF spectrum is almost close to full capacity.

5G allows access to millimeter frequencies (anywhere from 6Ghz to 100Ghz RF). The higher the frequency, the higher the available bandwidth, the higher number of channels, hence, it can accommodate more devices per square meter of space at higher data throughput.

5G, because it's using SHF to EHF frequencies, RF range is reduced. This allows telcos to place cell sites closer to each other, further increasing device density.

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

THIS! xactly! - these mofos are just finding ways to cover up their incompetence in providing the real thing in places.

6. oj88

Is there evidence that they’re ditching (no pun inended) fiber optics for 5G?

7. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, fiber requires ROW permits and can take time. While deploying 5G on existing sites will be faster. However, at the end of the day. Globe will need to put up more sites especially when IOT matures. Building permits then becomes another issue. A wireless site can only handle so much subscribers, when more subscribers latch to a single site experience suffers.

8. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

No evidence, but Ernest Cu’s statement makes it sound like they’re going that route.

http://newsroom.globe.com.ph/press-release/corporate/2018-06/globe-brings-5g-technology-to-ph.html

9. oj88

neilrg likes this.
  10. King

King Well-Known Member

I see the time and cost advantage of rolling out 5G.

No one in Philmug would willingly brave Philippine red tape

#10 King, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    pctan1584 likes this.
  11. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Having wireless is better than nothing at all. :D

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's a good thing but for all the wrong reason, that's why we're bitching about it. Keep mobile data as mobile data, it should be fast and reliable for on-the-go and NOT as a replacement for fixed wired services. Worst case, it should be a last-mile solution for far flung barrios and barangays, NEVER a replacement for fiber technology (even with RED Tape). AFAIK, we're not the ones in the telco business, they should man up to the bureaucracy since we're actually paying them for this.

13. oj88

We all want the same thing, but that's easier said than done.

If you've dealt with the public sector, you'll know that what you just said is a pipe dream.

If the telcos had their way, we'd all be swimming in fiber. There's nothing they want more than to get as much subscribers as they can.... only their pockets would dictate how much investments they're willing to make. That's why the government has to step in with antitrust/competition laws, among many others, down on to the LGUs, to regulate the telcos. You can't just 'skip' bureaucracy.... unless you're thinking of paying off whoever is in the way.... which is illegal in so many levels.

While we wait, I'd give 5G a fair shake.

When we went from 3G to 4G, the performance increase (speed and client density) was like comparing an econobox to a supercar. Well, 5G would be like the Falcon 9.

14. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

Forget 5G just give me a decent consistent LTE signal from Makati to QC without getting dropped I’ll be fine.

wuyckie likes this.
  15. oj88

Imagine how many LTE-capable phones are sold everyday and added to the system.

It's not that they're offering bad LTE service. It's more to do with user density and RF spectrum exhaustion. LTE can only handle so many users at a given area. But the thing is, you can't just add another cell site to share the load. Doing so without considering the RF overlaps would cause interference, which then leads to worse LTE performance. It's a physics problem.

These are just a couple of the things 5G is going to solve.

16. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I've dealt with some LGUs, some are really forward thinking while some are just stubborn because they're ignorant. Find ways to educate them about the overall benefits and stop bitching about it. Find ways to bypass them by lobbying with higher government. Press releases about "red tape" is just bitching about it formally.

Again, it's a right step.. in the wrong direction.

/IMHO

Sometimes, I just switch to 3G and get better speeds *ehem* Greenbelt *ehem*

joethemobile01 likes this.
  17. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

Which only those with 5G phones can enjoy.

It’s back to 8110 days when you have to keep resending SMS!

18. oj88

Well, duh, :) of course... for the same reason you need an LTE phone (with the correct frequencies for usage within the respective country or zone) to connect to LTE towers. With the speed at which mobile device manufacturers are releasing new models, it's almost a certainty that a 5G model will come out within the next 2 years. We'd probably even see them at CES 2019.

But having a 5G mobile phone is just half of it. I'm particularly excited with how it will eventually benefit IoT and wearable tech. Think smart watches that doesn't need to be tethered to a smartphone, etc.

19. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Huawei will be the telecom equipment for this roll-out

20. oj88

True. And this is both good news and bad news.

Good... These equipment from China are dirt cheap (relatively). For that, hardware refresh/upgrades will be swift and will span larger areas.

Bad... Huawei makes so-so network and telco equipment.... you simply get what you pay for. This is evident in PLDT's migration from Cisco, Nokia, et al. to predominantly Huawei equipment back in 2012 or whereabouts. After that 'upgrade', DSL reliability went down drastically, primarily due to low SNR (based on my own observations).

But to their credit, Huawei has gone a long way since the time they were accused of copying Cisco's IOS (codes, manuals, including spelling mistakes, but later attributed to a "rogue" 3rd-party company), and I genuinely hope that their newer generation equipment will be up to snuff.