Globe Tattoo - Not for a Mac!

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by ricocamus, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

Got a Globe Tattoo prepaid USB to use on the go with my macbook and discovered just how NOT Mac friendly this is, among other NOT customer friendly aspects.

My first pet peeve - you can't re-load using a prepaid card unless you take the SIM out and put it in a phone. That's being customer friendly! NOT! If you read the instructions on the prepaid cards it says dial 223 and send. But there is no way to dial from the Tattoo USB dongle.

My second pet peeve - I called customer service and asked how am I supposed to reload and they told me the same thing "dial 223 . . ." I asked them how do I dial from this modem and got a moment of silence. Then they said take it out and put it in a phone and dial 223. Something tells me they really thought things through when they developed this. NOT!

My third pet peeve - the customer service person then told me that I can dial from the modem if I get an upgrade, just download from the site. Now this was progress. When I went to the site it shows where to download the firmware upgrade, but gives you three choices of usb modem firmware to download - different depending on the model. No model number on the box or on the documentation. Finally looked at the USB modem and in really small letters on the back is the modem number. Would have been nice if they showed you where to look for it on the website. Scratch any plus points for customer friendly thinking.

Last and biggest pet peeve - so I start the download then I see at the bottom of the page, not compatible with Macs. The firmware upgrade is an .exe file.

All in all 4 big minus points - not customer friendly and certainly not Mac friendly.

Sure there are lots of ways to get the load in (pasa load, load in a cellphone) but Its a pain to do.

This service does not deserve patronage from Mac users.

2. tjgato

tjgato Active Member

was able to download a driver in the globe visibility post here included the software for 3 telecom to use with it. Try that

3. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

@TS

Regarding reloading, that's the same with Smart Bro. Even if you're using Windows, you either take out the sim and reload using a cp or have it loaded thru an e-load retailer. I'm not sure with Sun but I think its the same way too.

Regarding firmware upgrade. Firmware upgrade is the responsibility of the device manufacturer, not Globe. So if a hardware manufacturer only releases a windows only firmware upgrade, its the manufacturer's fault, not Globes.

Basically your pet peeves apply to all telecoms not just Globe. So I guess its unfair to label Globe only when those same faults are can be seen with other telecoms.

4. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

not sure about globe but SUN has an app for managing the modem. initially, i had the same problem with my SUN. i went back to the SUN center and had them fix the modem to work with my MB.

i think globe has it too.

best to go to a globe center and have them update the modem for you.

5. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

I only tried Tattoo so just relating my experience.

I disagree with you that the fault lies with the manufacturer. I bought a Globe Tattoo broadband service and it included a device from whatever manufacturer they chose. Therefore whether there is a Mac friendly set up for it or not is up to Globe.

The least they could do is tell Mac users that they should go to a Globe center to get the firmware upgraded rather than just be silent about it. Mac users deserve better treatment.

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I ditched my dongle in favor of a Nokia N78 with Joikuspot Premium. With 3G sharing over wifi, it's more practical. I have one account for both phone and internet. I don't have to bring an extra device. I always have my phone anyway. Wifi works for any wifi device like my iPod Touch. When I go out for coffee, I just have my N78 and iPod Touch. Its Software Update proof.

7. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

You can have the autoload in your prepaid globe tattoo and check it but its still not comfortable.

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

What I do is simply do a pasaload from my Globe phone to the Globe tattoo.

Leo

9. _geo_

_geo_ Member

Yup this is what I do too. Never had any problem with my tatoo.

10. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

I disagree. A customized firmware from Globe, still comes from the manufacturer. They only change the skin and maybe add or remove functionality as requested by the Telecoms buying the unit.

Globe or Smart or Sun is not in the position to create a firmware for a device because a firmware is a proprietary piece of software for the hardware manufacturer. A hardware manufacturer will do everything to protect its investment and that includes prohibiting other people from hacking or overcoming their device as originally intended.

And as a manufacturer, you spend more money on software where a majority uses. With over 80% of the users using Windows, you know where they'll spend more money first. Apple only has around 10% marketshare (and that's in the US). Worldwide, their marketshare is much lower.

As such, hardware manufacturers may entirely ignore OSX altogether or send less programmers to work on software for the OSX. Let's face the reality that Mac OSX isn't the number one priority despite being superior to Windows.

Case in point, Nokia has an Ovi Suite for Windows. But while Nokia phones are compatible with OSX with respect to synchronizing contacts and other multimedia content, Nokia phones can only be updated using the Ovi Suite. And text messages on Nokia phones can only be saved with the Ovi Suite in Windows.

Considering that Nokia has more money and resources than Huawei or ZTE and other device manufacturers that provide broadband internet devices to Globe, Smart, and Sun, you can see what the trend is. They spend less money on development for OSX than they do for Windows.

As such I feel its unfair to blame Globe for something that's the responsibility of the manufacturers of the hardware.

11. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

I thought the new Globe Tattoo allowed you to make calls from your computer? Doesn't this mean that you can in fact load up by calling 223 through the modem software?

I don't have experience with the Globe dongle, since I'm on SuperSurf and use Sun Broadband Wireless as my backup. In SBW's case, you can load through text. But the bundled software only allows you to text the number to load and no other numbers.

12. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

I use Share-a-Load to load my Tattoo prepaid internet USB dongle thingee. Also enrolled for loading to be charged to my Citibank credit card. Works for me. :)

13. mcsix

mcsix Member

How do you do this? You don't need to put the Tatoo SIM in a mobile phone? thanks.

14. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

I forgot how I registered... it's probably on the Globe site, but nowadays I just text AMOUNT space MPIN and send to 2+TATTOO CEL# from my postpaid line.

Ex. 100 MPIN 29052321446 (load nyo ako!) ;)

No need to put Tattoo sim in a mobile phone. (This presumes of course you have 2 lines, a post-paid (source) and Tattoo (destination)).

15. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Regularly doing this also, no problem works perfectly everytime.

16. mcsix

mcsix Member

Thanks NoisyCricket and pctan1584...will try the pasa load =) Yup, got a post paid Globe too.

17. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

The facts you cite are probably correct and they only reinforce the point I am trying to make. Too often companies don't provide enough support for Mac users. The example of Globe is a clear case of just not bothering - there is no firmware update available for Mac users, so too bad.

Is it too difficult to put on the website the different alternatives to loading or as mentioned by coolpix32, the way that Sun does the update at the service center?

So I still disagree with you. The blame lies on the company that sells the product.

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I feel your pain. Often it's up to the Mac user to find solutions in Google. Globe being concerned with a Mac user is like Oral-B being concerned with a person without teeth. It just doesn't make good business sense to spend exert effort.

As far as the hardware manufacturers go, they too are in a bit of a predicament. It is no secret that Apple is very uncooperative when it comes to their codes. They are very selective with whom they allow to interface with their machines. So unless a manufacturer is accredited by Apple, don't expect much.

19. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

My point here is that I disagree with you blaming Globe. Globe can rant and rave all it wants and demand Mac software but if the broadband manufacturer won't issue software for Mac, there's nothing Globe can do.

Similar to the case where Mac users always get their version of Microsoft Office a year late. There's just a little less emphasis or even none with respect to some companies in development for the Mac and for the PC.

What I think is that you should put your blame where it should go, the manufacturer and not the reseller. Blame the real culprit.

20. joserey_salvio

joserey_salvio New Member

how do i remove the globe tattoo application in a Mac? i want to remove all drivers installed by the globe tattoo usb stick... i've switched to smart bro postpaid :D