Globe replacement of defective iphone, taking too long.

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by essay, Dec 10, 2008.

1. essay

essay Active Member

My iphone has a defective built-in earpiece (no sound coming out). After researching on the net for possible solutions (plug/unplug headset, check volume level, check external speakers, restart, factory reset) which all did not work, I brought the unit to Trinoma Globe business center, and i was told the unit will be replaced.

If I remember correctly, this was in November 3 or 4. It's more than a month now, and no replacement has arrived yet.

I have made 2 to 3 follow up calls already, and I was given the same reason, no available replacement units have been shipped yet by Apple.

Does it really take this long?

What should I do next? Continue waiting? Follow up? Or write Apple?

It's very inconvenient and annoying to use an iphone using the speaker, or the wired headset, all the time.

2. chu

chu Active Member

I would complain to a supervisor/manager, if you don't, they'll just keep putting you on the back of the list.

My sister's iPhone mute switch fell off from normal use and it's covered by warranty (surprisingly a number of people around the world have had this problem with their 3G units) but Globe took more than a month and a half to give her a replacement. Towards the end, what we had to do was call as many supervisors/departments to complain, then, in a day or two the replacement unit was ready for pickup at the Shangrila Mall branch. Anyway, there really is a lot of room for improvement, we were just so happy to get the replacement unit, but in my mind I kept thinking: "I hope nothing goes wrong with my iPhone." Warranty claims with Globe is just sheer torture.

3. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I totally agree to this, somehow customer support via phone is just a shield so that we the clients would be pacified in our disgust for their slow and insentitive response, it never really helps to fix the real issue. Try to write a letter to higher management to get their attention, or askfor the store manager to get a solid and responsible timeline of replacement, not just some flimsy excuse, you as a client deserves it. Good luck! :D

4. mkyoots

mkyoots Member

Could we get defective iPhones brought from Globe repaired at Power Mac Center, Digital Hub or perhaps Microwarehouse? Repair return time could be much faster...

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member Supporter

you can't. all 3g iphone service issues are handled by globe. i suspect they just order replacements, not really fix the phone, which is why it's taking time.

6. mkyoots

mkyoots Member

thanks for the heads up sir... this makes me think twice as I was planning to get a new phone. gusto ko pa naman sana iphone so I can develop some apps on it. ipod touch nalang muna siguro hehe

i'm also thinking if using a new iphone as an app test bed (using the official iPhone SDK) would void its warranty (or if Globe would honor it if it becomes defective).

7. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

hi chu. got the same problem. i went to globe business center moa and i was told to wait. that was like eons ago pa - going 2 mos. please let me know exactly how you were able to claim it. thanks very much! -michelle

8. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

wow, if this is the case, i guess that answers the question in another thread regarding applying to for a iPhone subscription, new application is taking them months, so i guess replacements would be much much much loooooooooonger... :p

9. deepblue

deepblue Active Member

hi essay, if i were in your shoes, i'd write to apple already. no harm in doing that. :) just be sure to be very detailed and include the proper documentation in your email. good luck.

10. michelledsbona

hello. would you mind telling me please the email ad or what site should i go to in order to write apple about the iphone replacement? thanks very much!

11. chu

chu Active Member

Michelle, I was calling the person I filed the complaint with almost every day for a week demanding to talk to his supervisor. I really wanted to stay as cool as possible but I'm sad to say I had to get angry for them to finally do anything. I kept calling the globe platinum line too, complaining that it was unacceptable already. I think once they sense you're really mad, you get bumped up on their list. It's really not how I like to do things, but in this case it was necessary, I kept wishing Apple was responsible instead.

12. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

This somehow makes me think if it's better just getting an openline unit and having it fixed at greenhills if ever. Even though you need to shell out some case, you'll get your unit faster (assuming they already fix 3G iphones).

I really hope Globe improves on this. Is it possible to also contact Apple directly at the same time so your replacement can be shipped more quickly?

13. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

After such a long wait time I would have called Apple already to complain directly to them. They are the suppliers of the phones after all.

Maybe Globe is collecting phones to be replaced to a certain amount before mailing them off to Apple and that is the time only Apple will send out replacements. So, long time collecting, then sending them to Apple, then checking the units by Apple and then finally sending the replacement out to Globe. The units on stock are rather hold back for new contracts than to be given to already paying customers.

14. essay

essay Active Member

Update.

I just got a call today from Globe Business Center Trinoma. I was told replacement unit is ready for pick up and has been reserved to me already. Thank God!

I personally went to the business center last Wednesday and argued my case. The guy said he is going to update me about my phone replacement. I told him that's the same promise given to me when I first came here last November 3 and i never heard anything from them.

I also said I made 3 calls at Globe 211 hotline and I was told that they will call trinoma business center and that the business center will call me. I told the guy at trinoma that I never received any call or update. That's why I had to pay them an actual visit.

Before I left their office last Wednesday, I asked for the guy's cellphone number coz i said i intend to do a follow up everyday. The guy said I dont have have to call since he will make sure, my replacement will be attended to right away as he will place an order from the main that very moment. He promised to give me a daily update about the status... which he did!

I guess you really have to make kulit before you get your replacement.

15. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

I also have the same issues as yours. penmanila can testify about it. I just lost my patience and instead sold my iPhone 3G and telling my friend that if Globe updates me from my replacement, I'll help them get the phone replaced. I also have my case number already. My previous problem with my phone is my sim tray not popping out. In my research, I just found out that the problem lies in the sim ejector clip inside the phone which makes it pop out. That's the only part in my phone that needs to be replaced and my sim tray will work normally again. I got my case number from Globe Megamall. Goodluck to all who are waiting for their replacements. Patience is a virtue.. :)

16. michelledsbona

oh yes, i can relate to that - stay as cool as possible but then upon reading this thread, i actually berrated the customer rep that i was able to talk to a few hours ago at sm moa globe business center. let's see what happens.

17. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

I have the same problem. My iPhone is due for replacement 2 months ago pa. But until now wala pa din. When I checked with SM MOA last week, still no "seed" stocks according to them!

@michelledsbona
    Please do post here in case there is any development with yours. Thanks.

18. essay

essay Active Member

I just got mine a few hours ago.

I'm restoring all my data from my old iPhone right now.

@nwinter

I guess you really have to make a follow up. Paying them a visit will surely help and argue your case. Get the phone number of the rep there. Look for the supervisor or manager, if need be.

It's hard to believe that they do not have stocks. Mine was ordered by trinoma business center 4 days ago and it arrived yesterday which i picked up today.

You really have to push them. In what way (stay cool or be nasty), I just don't know. :)

Good luck. Two months is a loooong wait. :(

19. michelledsbona

hope i could give you a positive update very soon.

20. michelledsbona

if that's the case, i guess trinoma business center is better than globe's business center in moa.