Globe Platinum

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by chicco, Dec 3, 2016.

1. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

Hi there! I'm contemplating on whether or not to upgrade to a platinum plan or not.

Currently my plan is 799 but my bill reaches around 900-1100, and I'm currently paying 3.1k monthly for my iPhone. So I spend roughly 4k for my phone needs. I relocated to the province a few months ago and the data speed of Globe is surprisingly good (i can stream YouTube and Netflix without buffering), and since i don't have an unlimited DSL connection (i have a pending 3 month application with PLDT but they wouldn't install because there are no slots left in my area), I bought a Globe at home prepaid WiFi which I spend around 1500 monthly for internet usage (Globe doesn't have an unli DSL for my area). The thing is with roughly 7-10GB of monthly mobile data and 80GB of monthly Globe at Home prepaid data, I still find it constricting and not enough as I'm an internet heavy user (PS4 downloads + Spotify + Netflix streams + online games + etc).

With Globe Platinum's All-Month Data Surfing, I was wondering will there be absolutely no data cap or speed throttling if let's say I reach a total of 500GB-1TB of internet usage per month? Will I be able to share my data to my TV or laptop with no problem at all for browsing or unlimited video streaming? And since the all-month data surfing is only available by default with sim only plans, how much would it cost to upgrade a platinum plan with a handset to an all-month data surf plan? As for the other perks I don't find it as enticing since I'm already an ARC member, I also have free lounge access in NAIA 3, I'm not sure about the priority network thing because signal in my area is already good enough, and i'm not sure why I would need a digital assistant or a relationship manager.

Would appreciate any help or input.

thanks!

2. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

no GLOBE DSL? try checking here https://shop.globe.com.ph/broadband

all data surf theres' still a limit on how much data you can consume if its too often theyll notice it.

darkgreen likes this.
  3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I suggest you keep your plan as is and get Go Big LTE @ Home Plans instead. It's such a hassle to do hotspot every time you just want to watch something on your Smart TV. I think Plan 1599/1699 offers 600GB/month @ 10mbps which is fast enough for your streaming needs. This brings your bill @ 2,500 (for both mobile and home internet) rather than 3799 for Platinum + 3,100 for your iPhone.

darkgreen likes this.
  4. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

In my case i didnt notice any throttling even with high usage constantly on my platinum. But it does get tiring having to hotspot every time you need to connect. Its seamless using my ipad and macbook via hotspot on my iphone but the other devices that need to connect like nvidia shield will need constant internet connection. I think the globe @ home solution is a good one. Fiber slots were opened up in our area and i was able to get one via globe@home. Its been a year now and i think the only downtime i experienced was once and it lasted for 3 hours, a large number were also affected by that technical problem. My long term plan too was to use my platinum line for all my internet needs since i'm the only one who uses the net anyways, but nothing beats a real dsl or in my case a fiber connection, and with the stable connection i actually ended up setting a "smart home" with all the smart lights, switches etc... Sorry for the long answer, in a nutshell yes its doable and there is no cap with platinum based on my experience, but for long term i think its best go with a dsl/fiber if its available i think globe@home has several options and speed for your needs :)

darkgreen likes this.
  5. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

Thanks for the inputs! appreciate it! :)

unfortunately upon checking they only offer the prepaid LTE in my area, because i really live in a rural place (no malls, no tall buildings, just rice fields, wet market and a 7 11. haha) and i don't think i would consume more than 1TB consistently every month as I go out of the country often.

in less than 6 months I would finish my iPhone payment that's why I'm also considering to get a platinum plan with a handset though i don't know how much would it cost to upgrade it to an all-month data surfing plan.

may i know how much data do you consume monthly? if it's more than 500GB then it's good to know that they don't throttle the speed. Currently the Globe at Home Prepaid WiFi is hooked to my airport extreme and it does the job for my smart home needs (Hue, Alexa, Smart Vacuum, AmbiClimate, and logitech myHarmony) though sometimes it wouldn't respond instantly especially with the myHarmony.

I agree that DSL is the most practical solution but my only option is PLDT and it's been MORE than 3 months already since I've applied and they still haven't installed it, as per their customer service they recently canceled my application because there are no slots left in my area WITHOUT informing me and after being visited 3 times by their technician/installer. Their customer service is so frustrating and disappointing.

6. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^yeah mine definitely went above 500gb

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

They are offering no-installation postpaid LTE plans.

If you are finishing your handset payments, you can also do Platinum + Prepaid Home Wifi set up for your smart home devices. Just keep your streaming habits confined to your mobile phone.