Globe Fiber Plan

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by CMWRay, Sep 30, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is it worth Subscribing to Globe Fiber Plan

1. Yes

65.4%
  2. No

11.5%
  3. Mixed Experience. Sometimes with issues. Sometimes good.

23.1%
  1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

been happy with Globe fiber so far. initially, there were hiccups. but it's been stable since. 1 year subscriber.

makati resident here.

2. Kritiker

Kritiker Member

Globe fiber user here as well. No problems since December when I upgraded from globe dsl account.
    I do get slowdowns (though it's very seldom) but it usually just lasts for minutes or a couple of hours tops.

My parents switched to converge (they're from globe dsl as well). But they encountered a 9 day downtime and it's not even 1 month since they switched.
    Hope it's just a one-timer for them.

both Quezon city area.

3. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Anyone currently experiencing the speed bump (glitch) from Globe?

Plan 1899 50Mbps (600GB)

[​IMG]

4. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

For actual speed try benchmarking using p2p

5. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Already tested before posting.

iperf and downloading a 10gig file from remote servers reflect the speedtest.net result.

6. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

I think both Globe and PLDT are preparing their network for the load coming the subscribers of DITO. Hence they are offering temporary speed boost. DITO doesn't have an infrastructure yet so most likely they will piggy back with Globe and PLDT network same as what Converge ICT is doing.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

The thing with fiber optic deployment is it scales to whatever the telco wants to market. This is very dangerous for consumer welfare because we can't evidently see if a telco is well equipped to be dishing out those plans.

DITO can start their plans at 100mbps for 1500 and we'd be none the wiser with their infra backhaul.

Knowing it's backed by China Telecoms, a undersea fiber to HKG or Mainland is not far fetched but that just serves the POGOs and Chinese Community which is a good thing for them since Globe and PLDT routes mainland traffic via HKG only and why most Chinese web apps isn't as fast to load as their US counterparts. They could also borrow from Converge's playbook and lease a line from major telcos to get the illusion going.

The problem with DITO is that they positioned themselves as a full telco which is a huge financial undertaking. Converge was smart to pick its battle with fiber internet because they can be cheap without looking cheap and that's because of the way they lease bandwidth from different providers and save costs on building and maintaining a proper gateway to the rest of the world. While they'll never equal the capacity of Globe or PLDT, they're able to compete in that specific space due to fiber tech.

Going up against the existing telcos means balancing cost and revenue and capacity. We don't want another Sun Cellular, the prime example of pricing themselves too low out of the market they disrupted. SUN did get what it wanted -- Market share but at the cost of not being able to sustain expansion to 4G/LTE. We all know the shift to data signaled the death of calls and text in the traditional sense and a new race was about to begin. Just like that, SUN's efforts are less meaningful overnight.

Fiber speed is a beautiful illusion that makes us feel good about our choices but in reality, YouTube still only needs 5mbps for 1080p and Netflix needs 15mbps for 4K playback. Reddit will still be slow to load because their servers are located in North America. Websites will load depending on your processor's power.

The best value plans are 20-100mbps because you don't pay for bullsh*t speed that you rarely take advantage of (unless your job requires handling of huge files over the internet).

bluedragonph, wingatu and greta87 like this.
  8. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Our 4-year old Fiber Plan 5000 50mbps (which was discounted to 2499 monthly when it was offered in Alabang) was 'automatically' upgraded by Globe to 1899 100mbps. Since we never agreed to it, I requested to have it 'downgraded' back to our old plan since Globe's 50mbps is really 100mbps (unofficially). After several weeks of complaints and calls to the hotline, we got a free 1-month rebate for the hassle and we're back to Plan 2499.

9. King

Anyone on a unlimited 1Gbps fiber connection? Is it true that it's just 9,500/month?

10. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^Im not on it yet, but yes - P9,499/month for that subscription.

11. King

Got this from my account manager

For Globe myBusiness
    Our Unli Internet is from 5Mbps to up to 100Mbps only
    100 Mbps ₱2899/month

1 Gbps Premium Fiber
    24 months contract
    1 Static IP
    Business Landline
    Free Installation
    ₱11,499/month

50% off for the first 6 months for every additional broadband line if you have Globe postpaid

May be applicable to both personal & postpaid accounts

12. rdy0329

I'm curious as to the use case of 1Gbps fiber for home. The only time you'll hit 1Gbps is if you ping Globe's server.

For medium businesses that does not require leased or dedicated connections, 1Gbps might be ideal but still overkill if your staff does not deal with large content over the internet.

Hotels and restaurants can even make do with 100mbps and just do speed allocation to avoid speed hogs.

13. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

That is only partly true, and mostly if you're only accessing a single site at a time. But if you have multiple bandwidth-heavy users, they can altogether easily saturate the 1gbps pipeline accessing different sites (or creating different sessions).

Take torrents/P2P as an example. The idea behind it is that your torrent/P2P client opens up multiple sessions to different computers (or seeders) to download the same file or group of files in bits and pieces, concurrently. Hence, if your single computer (on gigabit LAN) with the torrent client can access enough seeders, it will saturate that 1gbps pipe, unless you tell it not to.

For the great majority of home internet users, it's less about the need to go gigabit than it is about the cost. If telcos started selling 1gbps bandwidth at P2k per month, people would be subscribing to it, en masse.... they don't care if they need the bandwidth or not. I'm sure I wouldn't

Those who have a genuine need for gigabit internet speeds like commercial or corporate institutions, they may be able to go by paying for the premium as an enabler for productivity (office environment) or customer satisfaction (hospitality). At any rate, this cost is operational expense and is typically passed on to the end customer, one way or another.

For the elite, well, cost becomes less of a factor. They can afford to splurge so it's not our place to tell them otherwise.

jayparalejas and Quest4dgoodlife like this.
  14. rdy0329

I've only heard: Content Creator (Vloggers, News Org), Works with super large files that needs to be sent back and forth as valid reasons to go gigabit. 4K videos can get super large so I get that and creators know upload speed is vital to their upload sched.

But Peak speeds are only achieved when you have large downloads or uploads, otherwise streaming and video calls can occur at the same time and still work smoothly.

P2P Torrent for the most part, will utilize 1Gbps but isn't an ideal use case nowdays, due to streaming and other media sources.

Aside from gigabit speeds, it is expected that customer service and repair requests must be prioritized much like Globe's Platinum offers. Liza Sobreano-level resolution would be ideal. when there's outage.

15. King

Use case for 1Gbps would be from 67 to 200 concurrent users.

Would be a suitable replacement for Metro Ethernet on hardware VLAN that costs more than 2x.

I talked to an IT admin for a top 3 Uni that has a student & faculty population of 4,000+ and they prefer fiber ethernet as it can handle hundreds of thousands of connection load.

I've used tabbed bookmarks & browsing when Mozilla (Firefox) introduced it in 2003. Great way to maximize DSL & Fiber speeds.

Logic being that while I read the loaded webpage the other sites will load in the background on a multi Mbps connection.

As for p2p file transfers you're limited by the seeds. If the seed's free upload capacity is 1Gbps then great but chances are it's less than that.

If ISPs were to offer 1Gbps at 2k/month I'd opt for the cheapest plan that will preserve my 4 decade old landline. Consistent unlimited 15-75Mbps fiber at less than 600/month with a landline would be awesome.

I've talked to some clans or close group of friends who live within the same compound sharing the cost of 1Gbps with a failover 200Mbps account. Each household has a 1,350/monthly fee with peak speed of 1Gbps and no household going below 15Mbps.

#55 King, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Quest4dgoodlife likes this.
  16. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Question: Got my fiber plan installed last Oct 2018, that time I paid the router so I get the no-lock up plan. If I upgrade my plan, will I get locked out?

Trying to see if anyone has experienced this as its super difficult to get in touch with anyone from Globe right now (....worst customer service ever)

17. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Has anyone tried upgrading their plan via app? I did and the plan details in the app changed after a day but my speed did not change at all. Anyone who can share experience or help?

18. mojacko

mojacko Member

Hi,

I have Unli Fiber Plan 1899 connected last December in my condo unit. No other choice in our building, as it was just newly constructed.

Connection is fast but my major problem is that I cannot connect to the VPN of my work. I can connect when I’m at our house with PLDT DSL. Moreover, when I use Globe data in my condo unit, my work VPN is working.

I already tried contacting their CS several times to fix the issue, had a technician visit my unit twice but issue is still there. Technician just confirmed that this issue is being experienced by other users and that he will escalate it. But when I followed up they said my ticket was already closed. It’s just so frustrating that I cannot work on my condo unit. So I just stay there on weekends. If only there’s any other provider in our unit.

Anyway, anyone has experienced this with Globe Fiber, problem with connecting to work VPN? Any leads in solving?

Thanks.

19. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

Ask them about NAT restrictions and port forwarding. You need to request for STATIC IP ADDRESS to connect to your work VPN. Globe Fiber has strict NAT.

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Is this normal (for local Fiber) -> the upload speed is NOT matching the download speed?