Globe Fiber Plan

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by CMWRay, Sep 30, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is it worth Subscribing to Globe Fiber Plan

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

8.3%
  3. Mixed Experience. Sometimes with issues. Sometimes good.

8.3%
  1. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Hi There:

Want to get your opinion on Globe’s Fiber plan. I’m moving condo from Ortigas to BGC where the only ISP available so far is Globe. I’m coming from Converge where the service has been phenomenal so far with only minor to no issues in the last 4 yrs. Please share your experience and answer the quick poll about Globe Fiber (planning to get Plan 1899, 20 MBS)

greta87 and Ikon like this.
  2. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

So surprised that there’s not a single response

3. jomarr

jomarr Member

4. loko__loko

loko__loko Active Member

parang no choice kahit panget service... is this at 2S?

5. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

It's quite difficult to say. My friends always finds the time to tell others just how unreliable the overall service is as well as how the customer service representatives they speak to are all gobshites.

My personal experience with Globe Fiber is the opposite. I don't get spectacular service, not by a long shot, but compared to my old relationship with PLDT it's easily a huge upgrade in both reliability and customer support. My fiber line back at home is nearing the end of its two-year contract and in that time there have been circa three or four occasions where I needed to call them for help. In the time that I did contact them, it never took longer than 24 hours to send over help to my residence. They have been very courteous with me at all times.

There was this one time when my area was unfortunate enough to get struck by a serious line problem and, to cut a long story short, only fiber customers were affected. Globe folks then were kind enough to grant me a temporary DSL line (of 15 Mbps?) in the interim.

My surmise is that it's a combination of area, the customer service representative you're speaking to, and possibly, even the sole fact that you're a fiber customer. They have a dedicated platinum hotline reserved for fiber customers.

#5 Edelheid, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    CMWRay and greta87 like this.
  6. loko__loko

loko__loko Active Member

Hopefully new condo, new copper wiring....

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Globe's actually better than converge in terms of customer service and overall connection to the outside world.

New condo, pure fiber wiring to be exact.

greta87 likes this.
  8. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

It doesn't sound like you have an option (unless you trust any of our local telcos' mobile network) :D. I recently had Globe installed at home because of abysmal service (or lack thereof) from PLDT. Right now both PLDT and Globe are running at the same time and I cannot wait for my PLDT subscription to elapse mid-month just for the pure pleasure of throwing the PLDT modem to the trash can, posting it in social media, and tagging PLDT in the process haha....

Globe has been very good so far. Stable connection (albeit short experience), a lot of freebies for the new line, no lock-in option (w/c I availed), and the biggest kicker of all, you can talk to someone if you need to follow up on something (yes, I'm looking at your useless 171 hotline PLDT).

I'd say go for it and avail of the no lock-in option, if available. That way, you can be sure you're not tied to a bad contract in case you're not happy with the service and assuming you have an alternate provider available when the time comes.

greta87 likes this.
  9. loko__loko

loko__loko Active Member

possible.. have you seen the wiring? possible fiber or copper (as dsl can boost up to 200mbps)

10. rdy0329

Pure fiber is scalable up to 1Gbps

Old condos with copper wiring can be upgraded to VDSL2 (up to 500Mbps with the latest tech). just swap out the box inside the telco room and everyone is good to go.

Globe and PLDT blurs the distinction by selling 1899 and 2899 with Fiber or VDSL tech. (That's why it's called Fibr/Globe Broadband not Fiber).

Works both ways IMO. Converge covers up the fact that their network resiliency is left wanting by boasting about being "pure fiber" in terms of deployment even if their back end is still years behind PLDT/Globe.

Converge on the other hand deploys fiber lined outside the building (cost effective) and wires it to individual units. This stays in-line with their "pure fiber commitment" while undercutting PLDT who may have sole copper exclusivity in place for older buildings. Most condo dwellers latch on to this proposition and with enough unit owners signing up, converge will actually do it for free.

loko__loko likes this.
  11. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

Hi! This got me worried as im planning to subscribe to converge. If their backend is not as up to date as that of pldt’s, somewhere along the way it might choke from too many subscribers

12. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

It will take some time I believe before that happens. I’m a 4 year subscriber and never had an issue with Converge despite residing in a condo that’s not well known (in Ortigas).

Thanks for everyone’s feedback btw. Though I’m also still confused with their DSL and Fiber plans as its not clearly indicated. Which is which. Most of you are correct also that given that Globe is the only provider we have now, I may have no other choice except not to subscribe if in case. Lol.

13. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

The no locked up though has Php 4500 setup fee. Do you know how much of this is reimbursable upon return of router?

#13 CMWRay, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  14. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

New condo in Uptown area.

15. rdy0329

They are scaling up, it's just an observation for now. They recently signed a deployment partnership with South Korea's "SKT" telecom for technical deployment of fiber throughout PH. It's a promising step to become a formidable 3rd telco IMO.

As long as they pace these capex with the speed of increasing subscribers, you should feel little to no "choking" in the foreseeable future.

potpot2 likes this.
  16. extremeshot

I didn't ask but I think the 4,500 is the cost of the modem (setup/installation fee is free). So to enable them to offer a no lock-in option, Globe is basically safeguarding themselves from financial loss due to a sudden termination by asking the subscribers to pay for the cost of the modem upfront. The rest of their infra/cabling is re-usable anyway. Makes perfect sense to me.

So my short answer to your question is I'm not sure, but I assumed I won't get my money back but I get to keep the modem. It's best to ask Globe about it if you're really concerned about recovery of the modem cost.

17. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

The whole amount will be refunded if you return the modem and telephone set along w/ your installation receipt within 15 days.

18. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Thanks, Bro.

19. jmrtlara

jmrtlara Member

I got a call earlier from an agent, offering free installation, P499 for the first 3 months. I wanted to get the 20 mbps P1899 plan. He still needs to get back to me though as I asked him if the speed is symmetrical. From the other forums, it looks like most subs are getting more than the advertised speed. Is still true today? How's your experience with their Fiber?

I am so fed up with Sky's 25 mbps already. Desperate to switch. :LOL:

20. extremeshot

You can even get that 499 for 3 months waived if you show evidence that you’re switching from another provider. I gave them a copy of my PLDT bill and viola, I won’t be paying a single centavo to Globe for 3 months (apart from the upfront modem fee during installation).