Globe eSIM Available End of 2018

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by neilrg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

Exactly! I hope globe and smart will try to consider having one slot openline to either networks.

2. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I don't understand why you need to go to their store to get the eSIM. Might wait for them to provide an app to get this activated, like the others.

3. Escritor

Escritor Member

hi sir, i guess this new feature will depend on the person's need

in my case, I have 2 Globe sim cards
    1. for personal
    2. work/business

honestly, it has been almost 4 years since the last time I have used an iOS. I had to switch to the other brand due to its "dual sim function".

Please don't get me wrong, I love the ecosystem and quality of Apple products. I actually use a MBP as my primary laptop.

This is why I am really looking forward on this new feature because after almost 4 years, I can finally go back to iOS.

Advance Happy New Year and Cheers!

#163 Escritor, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Theus and iamtonypet like this.
  4. iamtonypet

iamtonypet Member

Same here - I’ve had my personal Globe prepaid number for 11 years and I’m glad that I can use it now with my postpaid line - all in one iOS device. #HappyCamper

Escritor likes this.
  5. dacci

dacci New Member

Having read a lot about how esim works, I guess there are different approaches on how carriers do the activation/transfer to esim.

1. Via EID - carrier uses EID in leui of the ICCID(sim card number). In this process, users give phone EID to carriers. Carriers then update the ICCID on their system with the EID. User will then manually input or scan QR with common SM-DP+ server address to activate on iPhone. Upon activation user will then be assigned with a new ICCID compatible with the carrier. You can find this on the Settings>About. See https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/a4507u/esim_works_heres_how_to_activate/

2. Via IMEI - carrier uses IMEI. In this process, users give IMEI to carriers. Carriers then tag IMEI with an ESIM ICCID on their system. User will then manually input or scan the common SM-DP+ server address to activate on iPhone. Upon activation user will then be using the ICCID where the IMEI was tagged. You can find this on the Settings>About. See https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/a3l7yl/i_successfully_activated_esim_on_verizon_through/

3. Via ICCID - carrier uses ESIM ICCID. In this process, carriers update users' ICCID on the users account with a new ESIM ICCID on their system. Users will then scan a unique QR containing SM-DP+ address and ESIM ICCID to activation on phone. Upon activation user will now be using the ESIM ICCID Again, you can find this on Settings>About.

4. Via APP - carriers and users use the app to activate esim automatically using any method above.

From my understanding GLOBE uses approach number 3. Since they didn't get my phone's EID or IMEI. I can say each QRs are unique from GLOBE. My brother and I have diff QRs. Each having diff ICCID at the back of QR code card provided by Globe.

neilrg likes this.
  6. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone tried at sm north?

7. suburbia

suburbia Member

Agree. Got word from Talk2Globe that they can only provision e-sim to Globe issued XS Max.
    Saddening that the dual sim functionality of the phone doesn't served its purpose then, considering they only offer it to Postpaid.

8. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Active Member

@dacci - Will this mean that if I have used this QR code now in my current phone and I have a new Phone with eSIM, can I use the same QR code to activate my account on that new phone?

9. shootertwist

What talk2globe told you was inaccurate. Check the posts before you, some even have screenshots of the dual sim functioning on both globe (esim) and smart on unlocked phones issued from different countries. If you are new to globe better get used to it, their people are not the best to ask with regards to their products which is ironic hehe.. they give you all sorts of various replies and answers you wonder if they really work for the same company haha anyway sorry for the off topic :)

prof_er likes this.
  10. suburbia

suburbia Member

Sorry for the confusion, they can only provision to Globe issued and openline units. (sad to say mine was issued by Smart)
    Here's the weird part, when I went on beastmode they are now asking for my plan details. Just as you mentioned, they are inconsistent and provide all sorts of reply depending on the anger level of the customer lols.

11. dacci

dacci New Member

I don't think so. This is according to the writing at the back of the esim qr code card which says you cannot use it on another phone. Maybe because it's already tied with the EID. And ICCID cannot be reused. But I want to believe you can use it again on the same phone in case you restore your phone as the profile is not saved on backups or iCloud. It is also written on the esim card to keep the card to register again the profile.

12. sillimanian

sillimanian Member

I got my esim this morning smoothly. I told the customer service representative that I wanted an esim for my iPhone. After verifying that I am on a postpaid plan, she processed and released to me the QR card with a reminder to update my iPhone to iOS 12.1.2. I noticed shortly thereafter that my physical sim had been deactivated. Hassle-free customer service from Globe Dumaguete. Im using the esim now.

#172 sillimanian, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone from Visayas or Mindanao who got an esim already?

14. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

39A47743-D374-4B72-AC79-A13DED2D8C01.jpeg Got my esim installed in less than 30 minutes. Although my signal should be platinum it’s back to GLOBE. CSR at the business center said change to carrier signal should take effect by January 2. If it still hasn’t change then I should contact my RM. I have an open line unit by the way. And no they didn’t ask if my phone was globe issued or not. Went in and came out with an esim enabled phone.
    Trying to figure out how to send messeges using 2nd line any info how to do this?

15. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Ah, there you go. They use the same method as AT&T where each QR is unique and stamped with its own ICCID.

16. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I don't care about the esim on my iphone. Still waiting for the esim support for apple watch.

joethemobile01 and iDarwin like this.
  17. mllim

mllim New Member

which Globe store did you go to?

18. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Ayala 30th

19. shootertwist

Got mine at greenbelt 4, hassle free naman in and out in 15mins... dual sim iphone finally haha! Almost bit the bullet on those HK units with two physical nano sims hehe good thing i waited. Having a smart sim in there would surely come handy on those areas where globe signals are spotty...

iamtonypet likes this.
  20. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

If I avail of the e-SIM, can I use it on th Apple Watch?