Globe eSIM Available End of 2018

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by neilrg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

In the Philippine setting it makes it more difficult to sell a stolen iPhone as a whole. Selling the iPhone for spare parts is still a possibility.

Jmlara1 and scoflip like this.
  2. vhyc

vhyc Member

can i request for an esim in globe over the phone in their hotline?

3. cHad

cHad Active Member

Sooo besides the digital convinience, what benefits do you get in terms of free minutes, data or sms? Or something else?

4. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

More battery life because the phone no longer needs to power the SIM but maybe not so significant.

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I went to Globe (I'm a Platinum subscriber) to ask about th e-SIM option, because I travel quite often and am sick of bringing two phones all the time. I have an unlocked XS that I was planning to use for the dual-SIM (one e-SIM, one physical) setup. But they told me that both of my SIMS would still have to be Globe, plus, I would lose the Platinum signal (which I need for airport lounge access) if I used an e-SIM. Hay.... never mind. Will just sell the XS and get a dual-SIM iPhone 11 Pro in Macau or HK.

jetan likes this.
  6. l7224

l7224 Active Member

That is why I cancelled my application for the 11 Pro. I dont want to be tied to a network for 24 months because of a dual-SIM that are both under the same network.

7. yammie

yammie Active Member

that's odd. i did a back read on this thread and there are philmugers who were able to use e-sim for Globe and physical sim for Smart. baka di aware yung nakausap nyo sir.

penmanila likes this.
  8. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Hey, Butch. I've read on the Globe Platinum thread that there are Platinum subs with eSIMs that retained the PLATINUM operator logo. Tamad lang siguro yung nakausap mo. In fact, I'm going to get my eSIM this weekend. I'll let you know if the PLATINUM logo comes out on mine.

penmanila likes this.
  9. unknowngreats

unknowngreats Active Member

i can confirm this. had my esim changed twice and plat signal is retained. if the plat signal did not show up immediately, just let the RM know. ☕️

penmanila and Roman like this.
  10. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Just don't get a network-locked iPhone; all SIMs are locked to the carrier if you get one. Your unlocked XS can handle a Globe eSIM and a physical SIM from a different carrier. (Mine is Globe Platinum eSIM, Google Fi physical SIM.)

As for the Platinum signal, you won't have it when you initially get your new eSIM, but just let the rep or RM know, and they can do it instantly. After you receive the confirmation SMS, restart your phone and the Platinum signal will appear.

upload_2019-10-25_9-36-20.png

penmanila likes this.
  11. cHad

cHad Active Member

thanks thanks. it is indeed a bit insignificant.

12. speeds

speeds Active Member

got an e-sim last Saturday, unfortunately, I have an HK unit 11 Pro.:rolleyes:

13. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Got an unlocked iPhone 11 Pro during launch day and I’m still using a physical nano sim. Reading through pages 12-14 in the Globe iPhone 11 thread, I’m now having second thoughts using an esim from Globe. I have read the FAQs of US networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile, and it seems easier to request for an esim prepaid when traveling, and just keep my physical Globe nanosim. It might not be the same for other countries though.

To summarize the issue, Globe “locks” your esim to the original iPhone which you added the plan, and it’s not as easy to activate another phone when you upgrade. It takes some time for them to request another esim QR code, and may take days to weeks, depending on your recontracting date and billing cycle. It’s not as seamless as transferring sim cards.

I hope Globe fixes this issue. What if you lose your phone? It will take days for them to unlock your old esim and give you a new one?!

#393 docnico, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    loko__loko likes this.
  14. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I have an unlock Iphone Xs max, I have traveled alot and use Globe eSIM on it. The physical SIM slot I already used in various countries like Macau, Australia and US with no problem

15. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

just to clarify sir, changing e-sim or changing nano to e-sim or vice versa only takes 5minutes via globe store, the only problem we had like in my case is that my account is tagged as “pending due to recontracting” hence they cannot do any revisions to my account while my plan shifts to the new two year cycle... the problem with globe is not that they locked the e-sim to the device, i have an iphone xs max old fone factory unlocked bought from powermac, its that their recent “system upgrade” prevents stores or any globe rep from doing some revisions on ur account while there is a “pending order” on ur account... had they not done the “upgrade” it would have been as easy as visiting the globe store and being given a new qr code.. i actually have a new qr code already but was told to wait for the call when they activate it... but if ur account is normal its easy to request for one and transfer to a new one... its just a unique case and globe is already aware of it and they need a system override to help recontracting folks like me... my xs max unlocked with globe e-sim has been to various countries and wala naman prob i just insert a prepaid sim from the country i’m in in the second sim slot... na hassle lang due to recontracting woes since globe reps cannot issue a new e-sim or any sim for that matter bec of the “pending” tag on my account... even my shift to
    Platinum is not happening until the pending tag is removed which will happen once the new contract starts

16. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I finally got my Australia-bought iPhone 11 in green. After landing back, went to Globe the next day to transfer my number to the eSim. I was on an e-Sim with my XR as well.

I'm currently pairing it with a physical nano sim from SMART, so far so good.

FAQs:

1. Must be Globe-issued iPhone with eSim support to proceed with the request?
    • No, any iPhone with eSim support can and will scan the QR code card Globe will issue to you (unless it is network locked.
    • Once the initial handshake is done, the QR code can only be re-used with the phone it is registered to.
      • Request a new QR Card if you plan on changing phones (my case, XR->11)
      • but use the same QR card if you just wiped the same phone (reformat the same device).
    2. Globe-locked iPhones are double locked (nano sim + eSim)
    • If you have a Globe-issued iPhone, both sim are locked to Globe, you can use TM.
    • Free unlocks after contract period.
    3. PLATINUM SIGNAL
    • As evidenced above, you can see that Plat subs are able to get signal.
    4. Benefits of eSim
    • Battery life seeems awesome even with dual sim always active.
    • Physical sim slot can be used for travel destination local sim.
    • Switch between both sims for data.
    • Theft deterrent - Thieves cannot remove the physical sim, enabling you to use find my iPhone with a larger window of opportunity.
      • This also ensures 2FA logins are authenticated by the number on the phone.

quicksilver and yammie like this.
  17. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the explanation. It does not change anything. The system still sucks. My platinum plan expires on December 8. I opted to buy an unlocked iPhone from BTB, because Globe wouldn’t waive the preterm fee even if it is just a few weeks. I am planning to recontract on November 8 (they can waive the preterm by then) and get an iPhone 11 which goes to my wife. If I do that and change to esim now, the same thing will happen and my esim will be locked to my new phone until next billing which is December 8, because of the recontracting and “pending request”. For a period of 6 weeks, I cannot lose my phone, or transfer the number to another unit for whatever reason.

I am sticking to my original physical nano sim until my new 2 year lock in starts.

18. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Question regarding e esim, if i have a postpaid globe physical sim card, could i convert that to e-sim using the same mobile number?

i like the idea of rdy0329, using esim for local then when traveling abroad just getting a sim card to use on that specific country.

19. yammie

yammie Active Member

yes, you can convert your physical sim to e-sim using the same number. i just did that last weekend.

20. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

yes i use that when traveling abroad too... when in Manila i use the second sim slot for smart for areas where data is spotty