Globe eSIM Available End of 2018

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by neilrg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. eli71724

eli71724 Active Member

Does this mean I can use my postpaid via eSIM then buy a prepaid globe sim for unli data?

iamtonypet likes this.
  2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

great news! good thing i got an unlocked iphone XS max and didnt settle for the Hong Kong variant, i figured the warranty is more important to me, but having an e-sim soon just makes it the best of both worlds :)

mikeyllorin likes this.
  3. iamtonypet

iamtonypet Member

That’ll be my set-up too! I think they’ll implement the eSIM for postpaid lines first so the physical nano SIM can be your prepaid number, especially if you’re maintaining one for years (in my case, an 11-year old 0915-prefix Globe prepaid number).

eli71724 likes this.
  4. snipes

snipes Active Member

Apple's purpose is to have 1 SIM slot unlocked.

5. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Threads merged.

6. eli71724

eli71724 Active Member

In my case mas important ang postpaid ko. Been using it since 2011 and birthday ko yung last 4 digits. My concern why I am planning to get a prepaid sim is for data promos. May unli kasi sa prepaid eh mas mura pa..

iamtonypet likes this.
  7. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

They are rolling out eSIM for postpaid first, so yes that set-up should work.

eli71724 likes this.
  8. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yahoo. Good job Globe. You get to stay primary on my max haha

9. jmrtlara

jmrtlara Member

Yay for Apple Watch LTE!

10. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

does the xs or xs max have dual sim features already?

11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Yes. The official model that we have have one physical sim and one esim. Those in China have two physical nano sim slots.

12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...eh di parang bale wala rin yung dual sim. I do not see the point of having dual sim (esim/nano sim) if you are stuck with one network for the next 24 months ( or whatever the duration is for ThePlan). :ROFLMAO:

Dipp and hitme64 like this.
  13. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Does the iPhone max allow multiple esims? Real question here.

Hoping I can just pop multiple sims from all over the world for my travels and just reload or activate online.

14. raypin

Mm...doesn’t matter for now. Here’s why:

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-t-mobile-and-verizon-reportedly-wont-support-esim-until-late-2018/

The problem is obvious: even in the US, they can’t agree on what to so with eSIM. The key advantage of eSIM is to be able to change carriers on a whim. It is also its greatest disadvantage. Carriers want to make it harder for you to leave them for obvious reasons.

Technically, it is not multiple eSIM because there’s only one eSIM per device. What you probably meant was multiple accounts or profiles for the eSIM. That is allowable once they resolve the technical issues mentioned in the article.

If it is true that Globe eSIM will be locked and the nano sim will be locked (presumably for Globe-supplied iPhones), eSIM activation here will render eSIM USELESS. Same with Smart (probably same locking b.s. for both eSIM and nano sim). That defeats the purpose and convenience of eSIM.

What would be interesting is what their policy will be for factory unlocked iPhones with eSIM.

Hoping for clarity once eSIM is launched here.

15. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Well carriers did subsidized the phone so locking it does make business sense. If you really want your phone to work on whatever carrier you want then buy an unlocked one. But ask yourself this: is that really worth the extra money, which depending on your plan could be as much as 50% of the srp of the phone??

16. raypin

Mmm....yes, lock the eSIM but to lock the nano sim as well??????? For smart, it is different for smart-subsidized. One sim slot is locked while the other sim slot is unlocked.

17. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

From experience Globe dual sim units have the other sim unlocked. However there have been reports that there are certain models in which both the sim slots are locked. On my end I wouldn’t blame them if they decided to locked both the nano and the esim, since they paid for half the cost of my phone. But let’s wait for some clarification directly from Globe. Those chat and voice support sometimes provide you with inaccurate info.

18. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Err, not really. On Apple's site, it states that this is entirely dependent on the carrier. Yes, it does not make sense for any carrier to lock BOTH SIM (eSIM and nanoSIM), but they could.

hitme64 likes this.
  19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Agrimente. That wouldn't seem to be the intention of Apple in its latest iPhone iterations.

But for factory unlocked iPhones, they could very well avail of two carrier plans, one for esim and one for physical sim...I see no purpose of the intention there to lock them to just one network because, really, why would you use two sims of the same network? And it's not about one being postpaid and the other prepaid either...it would seem egregious Apple would think that way...

raypin likes this.
  20. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Just get the unlocked version to be sure... and for those already stuck on globe-issued iphones, they do unlock their iphones once your contract is over so its really just a matter of time... the good news is esim is coming hehe to be honest i wasnt expecting local telcos to implement it in a couple of months, i dont really need a second sim, but in those ultra rare instance i need a different network, then it will come in handy, another +1 for the XS/Max line...