Globe eSIM Available End of 2018

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by neilrg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup exactly. There’s a reason they partly subsidized their iphones since they can lock them. There are instances when the secondary sim slot is not locked i think my note 8 had its secondary sim as openline and that one came from globe but at the end of the day its really up to globe and if they do lock up their phones, cant really blame it on them, you buy a globe-issued phone, unless they stated “buy our iphones promise the second sim slot will be openline” then you cant really fault them.

Aargh and potpot2 like this.
  2. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

Yes po, tama po kayo. Ang ibig kong sabihin na weird itong ginagawa ng Globe na both simcard slot ng iPhone Xs ay naka locked sa Globe network, usually sa mga ibang unit na dual sim like Samsung etc, sim 1 usually ang naka locked pero ang sim 2 ay openline. Kung itong iPhone Xs ay nakalocked parehas sa Globe, ibig sabihin dalawang globe number lang ang pwede mong gamitin.

3. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

Si Globe lang kasi ang medyo greedy eh, galing ako ng ibang bansa, yung iPhone Xs nila openline yung isa, yung isa lang ang naka locked. Tulad ng sinabi niyo po, naka Note 8 din ako sa globe at openline din yung sim 2.

4. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

But still, being a subsidized unit, you have no right at all to complain if Globe decided to locked both sim slots to their network. It is their prerogative.

5. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

But still greedy pa rin sila, 18 years na akong subscriber ng Globe wala naman akong reklamo sa kanila, ngayon lang first time mag offer ng Apple ng dual-sim iPhones at isang reason rin naman ng Globe na ini-encourage nila ang mga subscribers na mag upgrade sa Xs dahil nga sa dual-sim capability ng unit, wala naman silang sinabi nung una pa lang na naka-locked pala parehas ang 2 sim slots, siguro kung malinaw na sinabi nila noon na ganyan pala malamang hindi na ako mag upgrade at isa pa hindi naman nila ikakalugi kung open yung isang sim kasi dati naman nilang ginagawa sa ibang brand ng cellphone units nila.

6. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, that’s Samsung. Things work different with Apple. As stated on their support page:

“To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier.”

You can’t really blame Globe for locking both slots because that’s how it works on iPhones. It’s either they lock both slots or they leave it unlocked, which would not make any business sense for them to do so. They also did not say that contract-issued iPhones are unlocked, either.

Let’s not kid ourselves. We should not expect to get unlocked phones when we get them with a postpaid plan. (Unless the pending mobile unlocking law comes into effect, which it has not yet)

potpot2 and Aargh like this.
  7. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Globe iPhones are Subsidized with your plan. what did you guys expect, of course they will lock it down. Here's me hoping Apple Watch S4 will be supported soon!

potpot2, shootertwist and Aargh like this.
  8. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

It’s not subsidized. It comes out more expensive to buy it with a Globe plan than to buy it from our local apple stores.

The only benefit is the credit they give you and the term payments for those who cannot afford or do not want to get it from an authorized reseller.

Once you sign the contract, you have the obligation to pay Globe the amounts due but ownership transfers to you.

If they lock it, it’s probably cause of something you signed to get the phone from them. Don’t believe the logic of subsidy banning me from utilizing something I own.

It’s like saying Toyota can tell me I can’t use shell or petron fuel because my car is financed by Toyota finance and not a bank. They can’t do that, I own the car, subject to the obligation to pay.

Ok that’s too much thinking while jet lagged and I won’t be able to enjoy the snow.

Point is don’t let anyone tell you what your rights are unless you’ve read the fine print.

Not my fight anyway since I always get from my suki Charlie.

9. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

Happy New Year Everyone!!! Subsidized ka man o hindi. Hahaha charot.

10. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

Subsidized New Year everyone! Greetings from Globe :')

prof_er likes this.
  11. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

May point ka sir...

12. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Just an update for globe platinum account holders who are planning to get esim. I got an esim yesterday and prior to me getting an esim I asked if my carrier signal name will be PLATINUM or GLOBE . The CSR said it will be GLobe for the time being and will be changed to Platinum either today or the Latest January 2, 2019. So I said OK. I got a call from the CSR who helped me get the esim today and said Globe is still working on how to switch the carrier name from GLOBE to PLATINUM. So my carrier name won’t be changed to PLATINUM for the time being. I asked what if I need to show my signal to avail of some benefits being a platinum account holder and he said just mention it and it will be ok.
    Anyways if you feel it’s important that you have the PLATINUM carrier signal on your phone then I suggest holding of getting an esim.

13. leon88

leon88 Member

What if you decided to use a new phone without esim. How are you going to use your existing postpaid number? Request for a new physical sim?

14. Marc Heinakai

Marc Heinakai New Member

Magre request po ng panibagong simcard.

leon88 likes this.
  15. arubeto

arubeto Member

It is still subsidized since you are not paying the full price of the phone. It is more expensive if you pre-terminate. From your analogy, you are getting a car from the manufacturer and not from Shell or Petron hence the so called freedom to use any fuel. If you buy from Apple, are they obliging you to just use one carrier? Going with your analogy again, if let’s say Shell offers Toyota cars and can give it to you at 75% of the cost as cashout even though the total price is 125% if you pre-terminate, yet you can gas up worth of 3799 at Shell only, will you be outraged and claim it is perfectly unfair?

jayparalejas, potpot2 and Aargh like this.
  16. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Apple Watch support. It will come when Globe's number-sync system is up. As it stands now, even if you manage to activate a Globe eSIM on the Apple Watch, you'll lose access to your number on your phone as they cannot activate one number on two sim cards yet.

[​IMG]

#216 neilrg, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  17. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I’m guessing Globe will also charge a fee for the Apple Watch support just like in other countries. Hopefully it’s just minimal.

18. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually it doesn’t matter from whom you buy it from. A sale is a sale under Philippine law. Now if it’s subsidized or not is just a matter of arithmetic.

I’ve not calculated for the xs max for globe but all previous iPhones from globe have come out more expensive considering theirs a participation and a monthly amortization of the phone. That’s why I’ve always bought from my suki.

19. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

The phone coming out more expensive is a known fact right from the start, and if you still decide to acquire it from them, then you are subject to all the limitations that comes with it. So , what gives you the right to complain?

jayparalejas likes this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^English please, or Tag-lish, as a courtesy to our international forum members and guests...

I don’t actually have a problem having two Globe numbers, tho’ I would have to know from them if they allow two postpaid numbers for the XS, one eSim and one physical Sim...?

potpot2 likes this.