Globe eSIM Available End of 2018

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by neilrg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Globe just announced that they will be supporting eSIM before 2018 ends. Here's a snippet from Globe's press release (via Manila Bulletin).

"Globe is currently running tests of the eSIM technology with select eSIM-enabled devices such as iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR; Apple Watch and Huawei Watch. Globe Postpaid ThePLAN customers can avail of iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR this month, while Apple Watch and Huawei Watch will be available soon. Before the year ends, Globe customers with eSIM-enabled devices can get QR cards at Globe Stores and scan it using their phone to activate their eSIM."

Globe Telecom continues to be the leader in digital lifestyle by bringing the embedded Subscriber Identification Module (eSIM) to the Philippines. A breakthrough in mobile technology, eSIM is a virtual embedded SIM that cannot be removed and will be a viable alternative to the physical, plastic SIM card for many of the upcoming smartphones to be released.

“With the introduction of eSIM, Globe further strengthens its position as the country’s mobile innovation leader. This new technology enhances our customers’ experience and the way they live their digital lifestyle. The eSIM is also consistent with our initiative to reduce plastic use as part of our sustainability commitments,” says Issa Guevarra-Cabreira, Globe Senior Vice President and Head of Consumer Mobile Business.

eSIM is pre-installed in mobile and wearable devices, and is equipped with automatic activation without the need for a physical SIM. Its digital management capability and automatic syncing feature also enable customers to use and manage multiple devices.

As it eliminates the need for a physical SIM, the eSIM therefore removes the use of plastics in SIM activation and contributes greatly to environmental sustainability efforts. Transitioning to eSIM, which removes the need for extra plastic and paper packaging, strengthens the commitment of Globe to support a circular economy by reducing solid waste and avoiding single use plastics getting into landfills.

Globe is currently running tests of the eSIM technology with select eSIM-enabled devices such as iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR; Apple Watch and Huawei Watch. Globe Postpaid ThePLAN customers can avail of iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR this month, while Apple Watch and Huawei Watch will be available soon. Before the year ends, Globe customers with eSIM-enabled devices can get QR cards at Globe Stores and scan it using their phone to activate their eSIM.

At present, eSIM is only available in 10 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Singapore. Globe is working towards the full digitalization of the eSIM technology as the industry foresees the arrival of more eSIM-enabled devices in the near future.

witch_md, mauwrr, iamtonypet and 3 others like this.
  2. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow!
    This will be great news indeed. (y)

3. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

This is good news! Smart will surely follow, or else they'll get left behind.

Edit: I forgot about the Apple watch use for this. Nice!

4. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

Is the Globe issued iPhone XS are open line? Globe for eSim and the physical sim for other network?

5. Roman

Roman Moderator
    Staff Member

Chatting with Thea of Globe Platinum now. She says that "The physical nano SIM slot and the eSIM of your new iPhone will work exclusively with the Globe network."

WTF.

raypin and bhoyetjumpay like this.
  6. bhoyetjumpay

can’t understand, we can’t use the purpose of dual sim.

i guess we just wait two years to unlock our iphones

7. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

That sucks for the consumers, but on the business point of view it's expected.

Lucky for those who bought unlocked units!

8. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

parang yung S7 Edge ko na dual sim nga pero both locked to Globe hehe

9. bhoyetjumpay

Question, will Globe supports eSIM for unlocked units?

10. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Good news. So I can use my Cellular AW later this year .....

11. lennytan

lennytan Active Member

So does this mean that they will be releasing the apple watch stainless steel version here? :)

12. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Or buy an unlocked phone from Powermac and Beyond the box

13. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

No idea, but why not? I don't see why they wouldn't accept a postpaid applicant because the phone is not purchased with them. I'm no business expert but I think their business model revolves around their mobile services. They don't earn much with selling the unit. Selling the unit attracts the customer to use their services that's why it has to be locked to them. This is also why you see posts often that they prioritize new customers since this will bring additional revenue to them.

I could be wrong though. Just my 2 cents. I have an unlocked XS Max, and I'm planning to have a postpaid (corporate) line for Smart and a prepaid line for Globe. Both Globe and Smart takes a share of my usage consumption. :)

14. AVG

AVG Active Member

I can’t wait!!!!

15. iamtonypet

iamtonypet Member

Awesome!!!! ‘Can’t wait!! I’d be able to use my 11-year old Globe prepaid number simultaneously with my Globe postpaid (assuming that the postpaid one gets the QR code and the physical nano SIM would be for my prepaid number). However that’s implemented, it’s exciting to know this possibility. Let’s all wait for Globe’s update on this.

#15 iamtonypet, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  16. Emon Posadas

Emon Posadas New Member

17. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

I was planning of getting the new AW soon. Looks like I’ll have to delay this to wait for the LTE models.

18. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

From what I understand, it would still depend on where you purchased your AW, i.e. whether the watch itself supports the LTE band used by Globe/Smart.

19. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

20. Emon Posadas

Emon Posadas New Member