Globe Airboost

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by onyx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ron27

ron27 Member

How do you get one of these? I was under the impression that you could request for one only if you were a Platinum subscriber. Do they have new policies that allow non-Platinum subscribers to avail of this?

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You should either be a Platinum subscriber or have been with Globe for at least 10 years (with a certain minimum plan amount I can't recall) and needless to say, your account should be in good standing. But I think that those are just the preliminary requirements. If they run into a technical issue specific to your location (ie. channel saturation, your home is outside of the permitted service area, and the like), or if your account's been red flagged for whatever reason, that could affect your chances of receiving a unit.

I've been in good standing with Globe since around 1998. Nobody at home has a Platinum account and Globe never really asked who else was going to use the Airboost.

potpot2 likes this.
  3. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Mine naman was offered by my RM since I mentioned that I have poor signal once.she has insisted to have it checked.i declined the first time since house will be renovated this year. After about a week she brought it up again and explained that no physical permanent structure will be built so I agreed. Tech visited the house and found out that signal was good although the network is congested in the area. They still installed the unit though. And yes I maintain two platinum lines and another regular consumer line. Took them about 5 days to complete the process. From the initial request to installation.

potpot2 likes this.
  4. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

i got mine thru SME account. less hassle.

5. airhootie

airhootie Active Member

6. oj88

Those are illegal here. Any cellular transceiver, booster, amplifier, or repeaters other than what our local telco officially supplies, should never be used, else, you risk getting fined or worse... prison.

7. unknowngreats

unknowngreats Member

Update: After a few more conversations with Globe and their engineers with field testing done, my request was reconsidered [subscriber since 1999] and approved. The unit has now been successfully deployed to our house. Signal improved dramatically from "No Network" to maximum.

Thank you, Globe.

Gentle words soften a heart. (y)

8. jetan

Their LTE version of airboost is still under testing my RM just told me yesterday. How I wish this came out already as I’m getting a deadspot inside my house.

9. oj88

Is there really a need for it to be LTE if you just use it for voice calls?

If it's your own home, your mobile devices ought to just use your local WiFi for all data traffic. Needless to say, AirBoost is just piggy-backing off your home internet connection anyway, and using it for mobile data to access the internet will just be slower through AirBoost. Worse, it also counts against your monthly Globe plan data allocation.

10. jetan

im on PLATINUM all month surf. its a waste if not used.

11. oj88

Again, try to understand the logic.

The Globe AIrBoost is piggy-backed to your home broadband. Any data traffic from your phone going through the AirBoost will also be flowing through your home network then to your broadband internet. Your internet connection won't be faster than what your ISP gives you. And data through the AIrBoost won't be faster than your home broadband... 3G, 4G, or 5G... it won't matter. In fact, it will be absolutely slower than just connecting to your own WiFi.

12. jetan

I get what you’re trying to tell me. What I mean is I’m only using this for calls only and turn it off afterwards so that I can connect to their signal and use data.

13. oj88

Thank you for clearing that up.

But that kinda brings us back to my original rhetoric.... it's moot to have an LTE-capable AirBoost. Might as well get the 3G model now. Unless, there are new features available in the upcoming model (other than it being 4G) that might actually be useful.

14. AVG

AVG Active Member

Hey guys how can I avail an airboost or increase my chance of getting approved?

15. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

I hope Globe will roll out WiFi calling/texting instead of this airboost.

16. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Too bad for us, they seem to have stopped their trial of WiFi Calling.

17. jetan

[​IMG]

my airboost suddenly won't work anymore so i called Globe to check and it needs to be replaced. Now it's sim-less already.

18. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

^^ probably its using eSIM?

19. jetan

no.. IMEI

20. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sim-less makes sense as it acts like a cell tower and not a cellphone.

jetan likes this.