getting travel insurance

Discussion in 'Travel' started by penmanila, Jun 10, 2012.

1. polemic

polemic Member

hitme64 likes this.
  2. dingjana

dingjana Member

We always use our AMEX gold card (Canada based card) when purchasing tickets so that we get automatic travel insurance. Coverage is pretty good as per the booklet but have never had to use it yet, thankfully. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  3. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

For the last trips I had I used World Nomads since they have a plan that covers evacuation above 3,000 MASL. But for general travel they are also quite ok for the price but I haven't made a claim yet.

Now I will try Global Rescue since I will be traveling to a place where exfiltration during civil unrest and that kinda of sort needs to be covered.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

what can we claim from travel insurance for a short trip? like my last to hk has delayed 4hrs, is there anything to claim with such short delay?

5. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Depends on your insurance but for World Nomands

"We
    will pay for documented, necessary and reasonable additional expenses for local transportation, meals and hotel accommodation (overnight stay) according to the List of Benefits where:

1. your pre-booked transportation is delayed for more than three hours past its scheduled departure; or
    2. your pre-booked transportation is cancelled or overbooked."

"Reasonable" is the word to watch out Maybe a meal or so will be reimbursed for a short delay but not an overnight stay.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

To each his own.

We used Blue Cross for our Europe, US and Singapore trips. The coverage is pretty standard.

We almost made a claim for a rather nasty food poisoning episode in Europe. Their hotline operators sound legitly concerned and helpful. But we moved on instead and charged the experience to a potty break.

7. patreng

patreng Active Member

my family uses pacific cross too. my sister got covered for missing/delayed baggage and delayed flight in the US.

8. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

pls share all your travel insurance claims, very interesting

9. lion0423

lion0423 Member

My wife & I always get travel insurance everytime we go on a European vacation, since it is a requirement to get a Schengen visa. We get ours from Philippine British Assurance (a Schengen accreditated insurance company).

During our last trip, my wife's wallet got stolen by pickpockets at a train station. It's good that "Loss of Money" was covered under the insurance. We claimed some amount from PhilBritish, though not enough to cover the entire amount we lost.

10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Bumping up this thread. What are your current recommendations for travel insurance.
    Does the medical insurance coverage work to pay the medical bills while you’re traveling? Or you can only claim for reimbursement when you get back?

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..I use Nomads. Read all the FAQs before deciding. And I have not filed any claims yet so the service is untested on my part.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-...MI0_zV9e2b3wIVC66WCh2_zAMGEAAYASAAEgJUBPD_BwE

12. eag

13. raypin

Mm..we got ours from Nomads last Feb. 2018 for our trip. Change of policy probably.

Try emailing them to confirm if they are still offering it for PH customers.

14. eag

No luck. Even the "contact us" function in their website requires the country of residence, which doesn't include the Philippines

raypin likes this.
  15. raypin

dasaint likes this.
  16. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

checked World Nomad today for travel insurance; they've partnered with the local AXA..., it seems

#36 pandecoco, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    raypin likes this.
  17. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

Sent a message yesterday to world nomads and they told me, no they do not have a partner in PH!!!strange the other day, i tried world nomads free quote, it sent me to AXA ph and i got a free quote! When I tried it again, it doesnt work anymore!!! Anyway WN directed me to try BUPA!!!
    Doing research on travel insurance, yes the online ones are so “convenient ” but you need to read their fine print first! If they are upright, it should be on their website! Foe example, Malayan look the cheapest, less than 2k, but In their fine print, there are more exclusions than inclusions?!?!
    Will probably get BPI MS-[Mitsui Sumitomo]

18. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

19. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I only get if I'm required. Or if my wife says to get one. In other words, I always get one.

hitme64 likes this.
  20. WMC

WMC New Member

I started getting travel insurance after learning my lesson from my US trip when I had a minor accident in SFO and followed by a swollen arm a week after in NYC which I thought were related. Thankfully, nothing serious. I had to shell out for the tests and meds though.