getting travel insurance

Discussion in 'Travel' started by penmanila, Jun 10, 2012.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i'm leaving for 5 days in malaysia this week, and forgot to get travel insurance from my agent, so i went online and found, to my relief, that you can buy affordable travel insurance online (for as long as you'e not traveling yet!). got mine from bluecross: http://www.bluecross.com.ph/

it only cost me P762 for P1 million hospitalization coverage--not too bad, i think, for some peace of mind (besides, the trip's free--it's a press junket--so i can't complain ;) )

if you have other good/bad experiences with travel insurance, post them here. (there was an earlier thread on travel insurance, but it's been archived.)

2. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

sir, for my last trip, i just walked into a travel agency. but it cost more than what you paid (around 2k if i remember right). was desperate and needed it asap or no visa hehe

3. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

Bluecross is the way to go. For Europe, I only got mine for less than 3k when other agencies quoted 150 dollars.

4. astra22

astra22 Member

Everytime we travel we get our travel insurance from Chartis. Reasonable rates as well.

5. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

When I travel I am automatically get covered by my Blue Cross and just go online with them too for my family when we travel.

6. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Good find, sir Butch! Will try that out next time I travel. Usually, if its just me, I don't bother. But on our family trip to the US last year, I made sure we got coverage. I think I paid almost 2k for each family member!

7. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I got travel insurance for my SG trip next week when I bought my ticket from PAL online. It was only $12 additional (it's an optional purchase) so I thought "Hey, why not?"

PAL offers Chartis, FYI.

8. Kimis_Mistress

Kimis_Mistress New Member

I also get Bluecross for travel insurance. Price is very affordable. My rule of thumb usually is if I'm just in the ASEAN, i get the peso one. When I'm travelling a bit far, I get the dollar coverage. Only sent $50 for 2 weeks coverage in Africa. Not bad!

9. essay

essay Active Member

I've always used blue cross for all my travels. I always book it thru an agent. I didn't know it can be done online. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Dreik

Dreik Member

Chartis is a good! i use it whenever i travel...

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

I don't travel with insurance. The only times I've had insurance was when I was required by visa applications.

12. rowinms

rowinms Member

I normally apply this in the atm by hsbc. Not bad, also since there are too much cancellation, delays, and lay overs in the PH, it helps a bit when needed.

13. knight_vincent

Next time when we travel overseas will try to have the bluecross insurance, really not bad for the price. I got mine before from Malayan an RCBC company it cost me around Php1,500 for 4 days in Singapore.

14. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Since some of travels involved me running Its just prudent to have Travel and Medical insurance.
    Likewise I have DAN to cover me during my dives .

15. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

without my knowledge, my wife got me travel insurance for my trip to the US. she got it from blue cross. Hope I dont get to use it though :)

16. REDcrazy

REDcrazy Active Member

Reviving this old thread. Any new suggetions for choosing travel insurance? Going on a 14-day trip to the UK.

17. Daylightstalker

Try Blue Cross Insurance. I alway get the dollar travel safe plan whenever I travel outside of the Philippines. You can check their website for other options. Hope this helps. :)

18. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

I get PAL travel insurance if I fly PAL, for other blue cross is the way to go.

19. zero.

zero. Active Member

Everytime I travel I sign up for Bupa's travel insurance. It's a bit pricey, like for example 120euros for my most recent 10 day trip to Amsterdam, but there's no limit to the medical coverage. Even med evac and repatriation via air ambulance is part of the premium. Non-medical coverage are also included in the package (baggage delay, lost or damaged baggage, missed flights etc). You can check it out at Travel insurance with premium coverage - Bupa Global

Their customer support is fantastic. Though I haven't been in an accident or got hospitalized while abroad (I hope I never will, 3x knock on wood), I feel confident with Bupa.

20. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I would suggest Blue Cross for medical emergency outside the country.