Getting An External Hard Drive to Work With 3 Different OSes

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by HardCharger, Dec 28, 2020.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

I got a 2TB external drive to safely back up my files from my current dying laptop, a legacy unit MBP (office issued), and I would like to format it so that I can use it with windows, MacOS, and Ubuntu. I have to occasionally use windows and MacOS for work but since new MBPs are expensive, thinking of going back to the Linux route again until I can pony up the moolah for a new MBP but I will still be sharing the data in the new external hard drive with the two aforementioned OSes.

I would like to use a format that can also work with big files as the current format in one of my current external drives (1TB) cannot work with files larger that 4GB!

All advice and assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

use EXFAT. It’s readable by most OSs I know.

HardCharger and jologs like this.
  3. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks, Shinahashirome! I'll give it a go. My MBP is hinting that it may not last for long now.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If all devices are on a network, consider a NAS. You get two main benefits.

It is client OS agnostic and should work with any OS that can access shared folders over a network. More importantly, you have the option (recommended, in fact) to do disk redundancy like RAID.

A NAS, if setup right, can also be accessed from anywhere where there’s internet, but only if you want to.

Still another option is to use cloud storage like Office365/OneDrive or Google Drive for your work files.

USB drives can still be used to make local system backups.

5. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi oj88, the data on my MBP is not accessible by other computers in the office network. Our office network is kinda half baked in the sense that we can see each other but cannot actually share files for some reason. The only ones who seem to be able to work together, ironically, are the windows PCs.

In any case, I'm just looking to save the data currently stored in my MBP before it decides to go to the big service center in the cloud :)

6. MAVO_Xeron

MAVO_Xeron New Member

Hello,

What's the best External drive for Mac? I'm currently thinking of buying a NAS or Samsungs' T7 or the sandisk.

7. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

My external drives are: 1TB LaCie for Time Machine back ups (now dying as well, cannot write to it anymore but can still read from it), 1TB LaCie Rugged Portable drive with the finger print security feature (will be reformatting this soon to ExFAT), my newest one is a 2TB Seagate Slim portable.

Sandisk seems to be OK, haven't tried them yet but have been meaning to.

MAVO_Xeron likes this.
  8. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

MAVO_Xeron likes this.
  9. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im new to NAs system. im thinking what to get. im not really a media type of guys. i have many tv shows but i delete them after i watch them. So its more on for the "cloud" for my iphone,ipads and laptops and even my siblings maybe.... What would be the best NAs system? Thanks

10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Im still torn if i would purchase a wd mycloudhome or a nas... honestly im not really familiar with nas system, but what is exactly the difference between a nas and cloud storage..

basically i will mostly used it personaly...
    I will store my photos and videos..
    I want to free up some space on my iphone and just transfer it to the cloud...
    I want it from time to time to view the photos using my phone

so whats the best storage do you recommend?