Getflix

Discussion in 'General OT' started by eag, May 17, 2019.

1. eag

eag Well-Known Member

I’m new to Getflix. Any tips on how to make the most of this on Apple iPhones and iPads?

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Make sure you download Netflix from the US App Store so you can unlock the entire library.

leninmac likes this.
  3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

As far as I know, it shouldn't matter where you get the app. Access to geo-locked content is based on where they think you're signing in from. You could use your PH account and still see US content for as long as you're connecting via VPN or using a smart DNS service.

4. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

It would be easier if you setup your router with the DNS they provide to save you time and effort of encoding the DNS on your devices one by one.

To make the most of Getflix, you should subscribe to other video on demand subscriptions like Hulu, Prime Video, Sling TV, HBO Now, ESPN+, etc.

5. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Initially that’s what I thought. I have a PH iTunes account. So my Netflix app is from the PH library. Whenever I access Netflix from my Mac, I see the complete US library (Office US, Supernatural, etc). But from my iPhone, it’s not there.

Also, Getflix has a guide that says you need to have the US versions of the streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc) to enjoy the US library. See the guide here.

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ that is for apps that are only available in the US App store like Hulu. For Netflix using your PH Account is fine. Netflix however has been spotty on Getflix as their servers have been tagged and streaming stops working when its VPN is turned on.

7. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Ok, here’s what I did. I created a US iTunes account and downloaded Netflix to my iPhone X. On my iPhone XS Max is the Netflix downloaded from the PH iTunes Store. See the difference when I search for “Office”.

From Netflix downloaded on US iTunes:
    65092108-E09F-4C13-B349-F26C9F40363F.jpeg

From Netflix downloaded from PH iTunes:
    51BC93CE-2A28-41E5-9B7C-BD0F055BD737.png

As per Getflix Support, if I see the Office US or Supernatural series in my library, that means I’m accessing Netflix US.

Theus likes this.
  8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^Well that seems how it works on yours. Mine regardless of which App Store Netflix is downloaded from when I turn on my VPN (expressVPN) it switches accordingly. Must be limitation from Getflix?

** I have been a Getflix user for years but the Netflix issue forced me to relegate it.

9. eag

eag Well-Known Member

After I configured the DNS on my phone, my Netflix app (which was always US iTunes Store)was still showing the local content.
    I deleted the app and re-installed it, and that did the trick. What’s good on US Netflix that’s not on the local Netflix?

10. oj88

Same here with an iPad. I am using StrongVPN.

11. eag

eag Well-Known Member

raypin likes this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...tip: when your streaming apps refuse to load, update your ip address via the Getflix app and wait for the DNS test to pass. It happens from time to time.

Theus likes this.
  13. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

also you get to have access to various vpn but netflix doesnt work for vpn. only the smart dns.

14. kinse_44

Here are some video on demand services that are free and are compatible with Getflix:
    • Pluto TV
    • Tubi
    • Crackle
    • Vudu (ad supported movies)
    • Comedy Central (selected titles)

eag likes this.
  15. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. If you're using a Apple TV you dont need to. You just need to set the location settings of the Apple TV to US. I have both local and US content. I use Getflix on my Apple TV to get US content while I use my TV'S in built Netflix App to get local content without Getlfix.

Roman likes this.
  16. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Try signing off your Netflix then back on again. You have to log out, not just close the app.

And of course make sure you;re already connected to your VPN when signing on otherwise you'll still get Netflix's PH content

17. eag

eag Well-Known Member

I should have tried the log off/log in route before reinstalling the app, but I’ve got the US content already.
    I removed the DNS setting from our router because my wife seems to be watching more Korean telenovelas which are available in the local Netflix and not the US.

Nice! Crackle has a pretty good library of old movies. The user interface isn’t as good as Netflix, but that’s ok.

18. a9828

a9828 Member

for those in PH. does it make sense to just get getflix instead at 49 lifetime vs pay monthly for netflix?

19. oj88

Whether you get Getflix or not, you're still going to have to subscribe to Netflix to have access to their shows.

You're only going to need Getflix (or other smart DNS or VPN service) to be able to watch US-only shows from Netflix.

20. kinse_44

They say the lifetime Getflix plan is slower compared to the monthly Getflix plan. I’m on the lifetime plan, and it’s slow. Like 1.5-3mbps slow when watching US Netflix using Getflix DNS, that’s why I turn off Getflix and watch local Netflix content instead. I use Getflix for Hulu and Prime and they stream perfectly.