Genset

Discussion in 'General OT' started by catng, Jul 16, 2010.

1. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

We got our 20KVA Diesel type Denyo from Kilton around 14 years ago and it's still running very smoothly. Before Basyang, the last time it ran was about 8 months ago and it started right up when we turned it on last week. i guess it helps when we regularly have it serviced at least once a year.

We used to have a problem with the thing overheating because we housed it in a little shack, but that was quickly solved b putting in a coupe of exhaust fans for improved airflow inside the shack.

extra tip: We also jury rigged a bell that sounds when the normal power comes on so that we know when we can switch it right back.

2. catng

catng Member

Thanks Porketrocket!
    I saw their company in the yellow pages re Denyo gensets.
    Will call them soon.

3. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Generator set for electric power

Hi guys, because of the looming power outage in the country, now Im planning on purchasing a cost efficient generator set for long term use. Any recommendation/reviews please? I prefer diesel powered, 3,000 to 5,000 watts, for home use. For 2 refs (small and medium inverter), one 1HP AirCon, 3 medium sized electric fans, a water pump, 1-2TVs with Cignal subscription (led and crt), led lights ranging from 2-15 watts.

Thank you for your advise, insights and recommendations. :redface:

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^re-opened an archived genset thread and merged it with ^this^ new inquiry.

whether you buy a genset or not, do not end your text message, email or letter with "more power". :D

5. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Thank you sir! I agree, dapat ata "more power plants to come!" :D

[​IMG]

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Generator set for electric power

mmm....offhand, a 6 kva. is hopelessly inadequate for the appliances you listed. Look at 15 to 20 kva units (can range from 350k to a million depending on brand or whether it is brandnew or pre-used). List down all electrical devices/appliances that you need to run during power outages and list down the wattage and/or HP (horsepower of the electric motor) of each. Give it to the vendor to calculate the load and the recommended genset. For a 20 kva diesel, full load, 10 to 12 hours will roughly cost you Php1500 to 2000 to operate.

#26 raypin, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  7. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

a little off topic but i think if Mark Cojuangco wins his bid as Governor of Pangasinan in 2016 a nuclear power plant in either Alaminos or Sual is almost a certainty.

i am in no way affiliated with Mark Cojuangco just to be clear. This is a big debate here in our province. On one side residents fear the danger that a Nuclear Power Plant brings (MUTOs not included :p) but on the other side the benefits of more work and lesser cost of electricity that might also attract more investors to come here is being considered by others.

Personally, i have a reservation of having a Nuclear Power Plant here because a strong earthquake might spell the end for our province. The San Roque dam is enough to worry about we don't need another potential ticking time bomb.

8. R-T

R-T Active Member

To owners, how many days a year do you actually use your gensets? I'm trying to do the math first before even considering to get a 15kv set.

9. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

^@R-T

It depends on why will you use it. Basic reason is of course, to supply your household an ample amount of electricty to provide energy and also comfort for the kids. Another reason is you can make money out of it, you can lend it for other purposes. For example, in our area where it is still traditional, Prusisyon is always around the calendar 4x-5x a year. So you can post an ad online, in front of your gate, or talk to some locals and ask about it.

10. R-T

R-T Active Member

for the simple reason of having power when there are brownouts, with no plans of renting it out.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

In the past 5+ years that I've had my genset, I've used mine maybe 3-5 days a year. Worthwhile? Depends on how you value your time.

The math is simple for me: 5 years is potentially 15-25 days of productivity lost. 15 days of my time is worth more than the cost of a modest genset.

A small genset, enough to power a ref, Internet and fans, isn't that expensive—not much more expensive than a boys' night out. :D

12. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Fear not, Jesse. I don't believe a governor has the authority to unilaterally build a nuclear PP in his province. IF the national government decides to have one, then future gov. Cojuangco CAN actively bid to have it installed in your province. Don't you want to glow in the dark, buddy?

13. kapitan88

kapitan88 Member

he cant do that, its written in our constitution no to nukes.

For a 3-5days use per year; i'd get a china brand for half the price of the branded sets. That is if you are knowledgeable of the maintenance and minor repairs.

mine is 1.5KW; runs 4 fans; some lights and a bunch of device chargers. 4liters run for 12hrs.

14. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

hahaha! no thanks sir chito. :p but i'm quite sure if he wins his bid he will install one in our province. these frequent power outages can only strengthen the clamor for one.

i'm not really totally against it, i only have reservations. if it can be proven that it is safe (does not lie in a fault line or near one and so on) and the benefits really far exceed the cost including risks i am ok with it.

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....I'm totally anti-nuke (with the Fukushima disaster in mind). There are solid alternatives: the Malampaya gas field already produce enough natural gas to generate 60% of Luzon's electricity requirement. What needs to be done is to hasten the exploration of more Malampayas, in Recto Bank to the West and the Benham Rise continental shelf (the size of Luzon and recently added to the national territory) off the eastern coast of Northern Luzon. No Nukes!

16. dilbert_8800

dilbert_8800 Member

nice read! anyway this thread got me interested - I just need to power 2 electric fans, and maybe 1-2 fluorescent lights/light bubs. How much should I budget to get a decent low noise genset, and where? are these available in True Value or Ace?

17. kapitan88

kapitan88 Member

bosco portable genset 1kw, low noise, portable. avail on handyman (less than 20K)

18. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

If nuke plants become prevalent, I'm sure Apple and the android manufacturers will create and install radio/Geiger sensors in mobile phones that sync with life bands/bracelets. Cool tech, cool wear. I'd like mine in danger-level orange!

Back on topic: I'd like a genset that will power a 17 cube ref, six LED lamps, two electric fans, a couple of outlets for charging devices and MBPs. What KVA should I be looking at?

I read that to reduce the noise somewhat, the genset should be securely mounted on rubber bushings on top of a concrete platform. Then probably a housing/cowl with noise-reducing insulation (like that lining under the hood of cars). Reduced vibration = reduced noise = less wear and tear on parts

19. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

The Constitution merely prohibits the use of nuclear weapons. Nuclear power plants are not prohibited.

20. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Yep this is right, and in fact, the Philippine government ratified Republic Act 1815 for Nuclear Energy