Gaming Rig Specifications

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Mocha.Frap, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Heya guys! I'm not sure where I should put this thread, but because it is related to gaming, I'd place it here.

I currently want to build my own gaming pc (due to the tons of new games coming out). I researched for the whole afternoon and these are the parts I researched:

Intel i7-920 Processor
    EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard
    Corsair 4gb Ram
    WD Caviar 2TB HDD
    Palit GTX 295 2gb Video Card
    Corsair 850HX PSU
    Silver Stone RV01 Raven Casing

All of which would amount to around...75-80k ish Php.
    Can anyone comment on these parts, and if the specs are good enough to run the latest (and upcoming) games (e.g. MW2, Dragon Age, etc.)

Cheers. TIA. :D

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....looks like you're bulding a high-end gaming rig. Are you sure you want to stick with nVidia? You might want to consider ATI 5970 (and a compatible crossfire-ready Mobo) to future proof your graphics investment with DirectX 11. If not, go with at least 1 kilowatt SLI-grade PSU, just in case you want to go for SLI mode (say a year from now). Otherwise, this planned system build looks superb.

#2 raypin, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

while you're at it, what monitor, speaker set and game controllers were you planning on getting?

4. uramaru

uramaru Member

+1 on the ATI 5970. off topic: I heard Nvidia will release its next gen GPU called FERMI 1st QTR of 2010.

5. raypin

...just to add...looking at the board layout, the eVGA looks great. Just make sure that the PCIe (16X) and there are four of them can be used alternately, not consecutively. Heat will be a big, big issue once you're in SLI (mine regularly tops out at 95 c with max settings). Slot 1 and 3 looks like the ideal placement for the sli cards - and the 3 sli bridges that comes with the eVga mobo allows for it.

#5 raypin, Dec 11, 2009
  6. joemoso

joemoso Active Member

+2 on the ATI 5970. MSI has a 10k dx11-ready motherboard, forgot if its SLI/Crossfire ready. haha! Suggested keyboard by my PC gaming addict friend, is Razer, Steel Series, Logitech G19 keyboard, Logitech G35 7.1 headset. True gaming experience.

Forgot the specs of his gaming rig, except for one thing. haha! His cooling system, he uses a cooler master V8(really looks like a car's engine). Also uses a cooler master full tower, 10kg ata, the weight. my friend's as addicted to gaming rigs as he is to cars. He's been trying to influence me into buying my own. Waiting to get a job so I can get my own. waiting for the I9-processor :D

played with his before: COD 4 online. Smooth. he said, "walang frame drop" hehe didn't get what it meant. played on my PC at home. :| puro "frame drop ata" 'cause I always got kileld before even getting to shoot. :| And iba talaga ang effect ng Razer mouse for gaming, compared to our standard logitech mouse.

#6 joemoso, Dec 11, 2009
  7. anon852

anon852 Member

ditto on using the more affordable ATI graphic cards. I bought a ATI 4850 and it still works well for games with everything at either high or very high settings

8. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Gamespot.com recently reviewed a videocard, I think it was that 5970 mentioned. Look it up, according to Gamespot, it took 3 monitors hooked up to the pc to show even the slightest slow down.

9. bulyot

bulyot Member

+1 ATI 59** series..still 58** series will do fine

10. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

SIDE NOTE: I am quite new to this BYO gaming rig thing (as I went to a shop which helped me build my previous pc)

Yes I am thinking of building of a medium-high end gaming rig. Well, I had a good experience with nVidia in the past which is why I'm thinking of getting the GTX 295. But I had a bad experience with ATI.

But let's talk about your side of the story, how is ATI better than nVdia? (so I would know the pros and cons of each). :D Also, what do you mean by "future proofing my graphics using ATI?"

I'm still thinking which brand of monitor, but I think it isn't much of a problem (compared to the internals of the pc) Anyway, I'm thinking of getting at least a 30" monitor with HDMI capability.

On the speaker set, I haven't finalized it.

I'm eyeing on the Logitech G15 keyboard and a razer deathadder for the mouse.

Would a 3-way SLI be hotter compared to running crossfire? :D

*EDIT: I did some more research and I saw that the benchmark for the 5970 is above that of the GTX 295. However, a review shows that the 5970 does not have HDMI output while the GTX 295 has one. Is this correct? Also, I'd like to ask what is the difference between the brands of 5970 (example, XFX, HIS, Diamond, MSI, PowerColor?) Thanks :D

I would probably change my rig specs to the following:

MOBO: EVGA e760 Classified x58
    CPU: i7-920
    Ram: Corsair 4gb (this one would suffice atm)
    Video Card: XFX HD-597A Radeon 5970 2gb
    PSU: Corsair 1000HX
    Storage: WD Caviar 2TB
    Optical: LG CH08LS10 Blu-ray Reader DVD/CD Writer
    Case: SilverStone RV01 Raven

#10 Mocha.Frap, Dec 11, 2009
  11. mig

mig Active Member

How much are you looking to spend? Is this an unlimited budget thing? The 5970 is the fastest card out there now. It can't compare to the 295 simply because they're not from the same generation. If you want the latest and greatest (and have the cash for it) get the 5970. The next generation GeForce should be out in 2010 though.

12. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Well, I would like to first map out the "ideal" gaming specs (at the moment) and then i'll just tone down the hardware to the budget. I would prefer the rig to cost less than 90k. Ideally, around 70-80k Php if possible.

If the next generation GeForce would be out next year, would it be able to beat the 5970? :D

13. joemoso

joemoso Active Member

Yup! According to a friend of mine, they benchmarked the ATI 5970 with 1 24-inch lcd ata, then 3 24-inch lcds then 3 lcd tvs then 3 plasma, used only 1%, 3%, 10%, and 50% of the video card respectively. I'm don't exactly remember the stats he said, pero parang ganun daw.

14. Bem

Bem Member

Would you know where your friend got his Cooler Master tower? :D

I'm planning on building a new computer soon also... Although I probably won't spend as much as Mocha.Frap :( Aww. Hahaha.

15. mig

mig Active Member

You might wanna have a look at this btw: http://www.guru3d.com/article/pc-buyers-guide-winter-2009/3

Guru3D are generally reliable with their high end comp stuff.

Impossible to tell how the next gen GF would perform against the 5970 until its actually released. I'm pretty sure the differences (especially to single monitor users) won't be THAT big, unless you're interested in breaking benchmark records.

16. raypin

ahh....don't worry about building it yourself. Just have it assembled at one place. Gilmore is the place to go for the least hassle. But, if you want to get your hands "dirty", GO for it.

By future-proof, I mean DirectX 11 games (tessalation and other video graphics goodies) are just around the corner. With a DirectX 11 compatible card, you can play any game that will come our (gamer's) way this 2010, 2011 and 2012 (at the very least) with MAX settings. The ATI 5970 has been benchmarked at 61 frames per second on Crysis Warhead (the Holy Grail of PC games) with res set at 1900 x 1200 and anti-aliasing turned on!! That is smokin' fast. nVidia, on the other hand, has no vid card right now that is DX 11 compatible.

Forget tri-SLI. It is a waste of money. The performance/cost ratio just doesn't cut it. SLI or Crossfire are okay if you want that extra 10 to 15% improvement in frame rates. Also, keep in mind that not all games are crossfire/SLI optimized and there are still some game titles out there that are CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. AND YES, heat is going to be a major issue so better get some great cooling solutions.

For Core I7 cooling, I would recommend Megahalem. It keeps mine at 39 Celsius at full load.

As for nVidia vs. ATI? There's not much difference in quality. The important thing is it is under warranty.

Check out TipidPC. One lucky guy just got an HIS 5970 (brand new) at 25K only (retails around 30k).

#16 raypin, Dec 11, 2009
  17. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

18. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My very last PC set-up was housed in the Lian Li V1000 casing, a huge behemoth that had MacPro in its design DNA. The cooling strategy called for physically separating the HDDs from the motherboard with its own airflow route (told 'ya, very MacPro…). I hope your casing can live up to expectations because your chosen components can go crazy hot!

19. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

how much would the i7 processor, a decent motherboard (with lots of room for expandability) and the ati 5970 with a big enough tower cost each?

Just wondering because I'm building a rig for a friend and I want to give it some room just in case she wants to upgrade in the future.

I'm thinking I'll get a real good motherboard as a base with a semi-good quad core, but I want the tower to be big enough.

I can't find prices for those specific items online (most prices available are for the generic average components).

Thanks!

20. kenok

kenok Member

ATI's cons - since you're targeting a relatively fresh and new model, let it mature a bit. Keep checking on reviews as ATI is been known to have bad drivers. Plus, if your games are more PhysX based, you're out of luck... unless you go with hacks.