Gadgets you regret buying.

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by leninmac, Aug 5, 2014.

1. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

Western digital mycloud. This thing is really slow. I bought this cause i thought it would be useful for a photographer like me to have access to all my shots anywhere i go. It is just soooooo slow. It also doesn't have preview/thumbnail for your files so browsing on your photo library is a pain if you don't remember the exact filename for the picture that you want to view.

Streaming HD movies also is a pain. It stutters midway. It probably can't accommodate the bandwidth of a 1080p or 720p mkv file.

2. seahaven

seahaven Member

i bought a nexus 4 and nexus 7 last year to try out android after getting bored with my iPhone 4 then, but the nexus 4 was always low bat and immediately jumped to Note 3 late last year. Now my note 3 restarts a few times in a day and its gotten annoying at times too. I can't afford yet an iPhone 6 as i promised myself that there will be no gadget purchases for this year and next year. sigh

3. jam23

jam23 New Member

The 1st Samsung Tab - sold it after a month

4. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Having learned that you can now have your Globe locked iPhone unlocked when the contract expires made me regret buying an iPhone 5s from a reseller. Bought a brand new iPhone 5s from a reseller means that I can't have this unlocked after it's contract expires since 1. The account holder should be the one who needs to contact globe to have "her phone" unlocked and 2. The seller could not provide me the phone number that this iPhone isn linked to and he said that he does not have any contact with the original owner.

Lesson learned, either save and buy a factory unlocked iPhone or apply for your own contract.

5. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

Is it really possible to have it unlocked once your contract expires? :) Has this been verified already?

6. mafioso

mafioso Well-Known Member

Yes, it's being done at Globe.

7. Marianne

Marianne Member

Yes. I just had my 4s from globe unlocked recently. I just called the hotline to request for the unlocking of the phone :)

8. 4p0se

4p0se Well-Known Member

Good info.

9. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

they dont charge for this? do they also this in smart?

10. Marianne

Marianne Member

It's free. Not sure if smart does this already.

11. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

I've yet to use it that much too (and I should have learned from experience with the Playstation Eye (PS3 camera)) but I still decided to buy it just so I know I'd have it already when a game that needs it would be released. I do get to use it from time to time when broadcasting my gameplay (mic only lol ). I'm still hoping that Dance Central would eventually find its way to the PS4 :p

(Nope, not a fan of Just Dance) lol

12. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

The one and only gadget I ever regret buying was the very first Acer Aspire One netbook running on Linux sometime I think 2008. I was coming from an Asus EEE PC and the main reason I bought the Aspire One was because it had twice the SSD storage than the EEE PC back then. When I got the Aspire One and installed Windows XP on it, it was next to useless. It took forever to boot up, open programs, and even shutting it down. The day after I installed Windows on it I sold it for half the price in TipidPC just to get rid of it as fast as possible

13. jns888

jns888 Member

BB 9320 which has very poor battery life and almost no resale value.

its now sitting on my table as a very expensive paper weight

14. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

blackberry pearl 8220 - wanted to shift to a another OS then (android not yet the IN thing back then). bogged down in less than a year. not too much tone customisation.

nikon d40 - bought one because all of a sudden everybody was buying and using DSLRs. wanted to learn photograph but didn't have the patience. DSLRs are a pain to carry around when traveling with kids, even if the D40 is small compared to most DSLRs.

MSI netbook - 6 years ago i think, hacked it and installed another OS, keyboard and screen just too small.

Gadget which I regret I only bought one unit: HP Vivienne Tam notebook: bought it years ago in Singapore during the great Singapore sale for around P17k, sold it locally P25k. After 6 months, I was still being asked if it was available (forgot to put down the website ads) :)

15. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Palm TX - I was a kid back then, and I had no real use for it except inputting birthdays of my friends and playing chess.

Cherry Titan - Was curious about cheaply priced phones. Was going to use it as a backup phone, sold it after a month because it was horrible.

iPhone 3g - The iPhone 3g was definitely okay, but coming from an iPhone 2g, there wasn't much of a difference.. And I missed the aluminum feel of the 2g.

16. zero.

zero. Active Member

Same sentiment here with my purchase of a Nikon D3000 several years ago. Joined the bandwagon and got myself that DSLR too. I learned the basics of photography with it, however I soon got tired of bringing it around, plus the fact that I instantly became an 'official photographer' during events (of which I was then seldomly part of the group pic! Lol!). I ended up using it just for long holiday breaks and overseas travel. In between, the camera stayed in storage.

And then I learned about micro-fourthirds cameras. I sold the Nikon and got myself an Olympus m4/3s system. I never looked back.

17. red

red Member

If you look at it differently, I think you wouldn't regret getting the D3000.

1) You learned how to properly use a camera by learning basic photography.
    2) You appreciate the m4/3rd system more because of prior use/experience of a DSLR. And not use your m4/3rd as a glorified point & shoot.
    3) You now know what camera you really need/want.

18. zero.

zero. Active Member

Very valid thought and I was thinking about it too. I regret it because it was an impulse purchase, and eventually didn't get the most out of it. It was a blessing in disguise, though, I admit.

19. oaba09

oaba09 Member

Ps vita...just not enough AAA games...

20. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Ps vita 3G and apple tv. Impulse buy for atv