Gadget for home schooling

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Tray, May 22, 2020.

1. Tray

Tray Member

A lot of us will have kids who will stay home and attend school through video. What do you think is the best gadget to get them. Desktop, laptop, tablet? I'm leaning towards a gaming laptop for a dual purpose. Ha ha Is there also a device that you can use the TV and hook up a camera and mic?

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If you can get them a desktop or laptop (PC or Mac), especially if they also need to do reports, presentations, or otherwise, author or create content, that will be most ideal. They can easily be hooked up to an external monitor or TV and enable multi-display so it's much easier to multitask.

I think the goal here is to make their remote learning more conducive. That also means, you will have to give them a space for their own that insulates them from distractions. That said, I personally wouldn't get them a gaming laptop.

Tablets and smartphones on the other hand are good for data consumption, not quite on creation.

3. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

i'm seeing a lot of atom-type laptops being sold. well that would be enough for data encoding/processing and connecting online. not sure if Zoom or other software needed would satisfy apps' system requirements nowadays.

4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Our school requires Apple :) Will have to double check if these are really "discounted" :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0961.JPG

5. cHad

cHad Member

What was the reason why they decided to use apple related products for learning when they are so fragile.

I can understand iOS devices because most android tablets have poor built and support. But laptops have a keyboard that can be damaged with a spill of liquid.

btw; are the students learning about programming robotics like this https://sphero.com/products/sphero-bolt .

6. docjbr

Well, I wouldn't say they require Apple, but this was what they "suggested"?

I'm just happy that they chose that, because everything in our home is Apple, from our phones, tablets, laptops, and desktop. I wouldn't even know how to shut down a PC nowadays nor do a search.

I know there's a robotics program, but my daughter is an incoming Grade 3 student, so we're still not yet in that subject.

7. cHad

cHad Member

I see. noted thanks; having one ecosystem at home and other locations such as office and school simplifies things. apple hw when taken cared off do last for a long time; plus they are more intuitive for most people especially non techies to use.

8. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

My vote goes for desktop setup. - could be more ergonomic, more eye-friendly, and minimizes slacking. :)

Juice and Theus like this.
  9. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

A couple of days ago, I got a pretty good deal on 3 units of Dell Latitudes with i7-6820HQ,16GB RAM and 256GB SSD @16k each.

Personally I am a desktop person but for the kids, I suggest you get a laptop. Mobility around the house just in case the kids need to ask a question from you while you're doing something. An external monitor can be added in case they need a multi-display setup.

Pre-owned is fine but if you have the budget, brand new is always good. Built-in webcam and mic already instead of sourcing those separately (it's hard to get the good webcam models right now).

cybersniper and Theus like this.
  10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, laptops for the kids for mobility, and especially if you need to optimize available space. But they have to be reasonably tough to take a bit of abuse. The Dell Latitudes, even used, are practically indestructible. Though, it still helps to lay down house rules like, no food or drinks within a couple of feet of the laptop and maybe teach them to go easy when opening and closing the display and to avoid mashing their fingers on the keys.

My eldest is using an Asus i7 laptop while my youngest is using a Dell Latitude i5. Both were hand-me-downs and after I've swapped the HDDs out for SSDs and installed Windows 10 and Office 2019, they're faster now and more usable than they were, brand new.

ronjet, Theus and pepspeps like this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Posted this already, but maybe you could reconsider the best gadget around for home schooling...the Mother! (what?? not the pamalo arayku!) :LOL:
    6746AC21-528F-43A6-AF95-AD48F550AF2F.jpeg

eag, ronjet, kristianne and 3 others like this.
  12. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

My incoming Gr.10 son will likely continue to use the 2012 MBP13 that used to be my wife's. I upgraded the hard drive to SSD and replaced the battery a few years ago, and save for the frayed power cable that needs replacement and now-weak speakers (he uses earphones), he says it's still good to go.

His junior high school started to use use Google Classroom a few years ago, although it remained largely under-utilized. With the upcoming schoolyear, Google Classroom, Meet, etc., will now be a daily staple during "school hours" at home.

raypin and Theus like this.
  13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

As a parent of a son who went home-schooled for 5 years, this is not something new. My son had learning difficulties then that a regular school could not correct even if it were special education. Then there’s the teacher interactions and constant bullying from classmates because of his condition. So it was home schooling or bust for us.

Actually, it’s much better designed nowadays and everything is either digitized or on the web compared to our time. We had no computers, or if we did, most lessons were still in printed form, so there was no use for a PC. Teacher-parent-student interactions were usually monthly meetings at home, not yet on the web. It’s usually the time the teacher would give the parent an entire box of materials for the student to accomplish within a given grading period. It wasn’t just stressful for my son but me included. I use to see it as an extended home assignment.

My son has graduated college and is now working. Obviously home schooling has worked in his favor.

eag, Juice, Qin Zhi and 1 other person like this.
  14. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

I'm also scouting a laptop for my son (incoming grade 5), and table and chair suited for his height. We also might rearrange things in his room to avoid anything that might cause distraction. We already explained to our son about this distance learning but you could still see his confusion and some uneasiness too.

With this set-up parents will need to support their children more and it'd be more of a challenge if both parents would also need to do their work at home. Good luck to us!

15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

our kids are still using these from (almost) 2 years back:

Acer Nitro 5 Thanos - GTX-1050 4GB, 16g RAM, 128gig SSD, 1TB HDD, 15.6in FHD IPS
    Dell Inspiron 7567 - GTX-1050 4GB, 16g RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6in FHD anti-glare

late 2019, we got them these as we didn't want them lugging to school, over 2.5kgs gaming laptops when all they needed was an HDMI port to project / share their homework. I haven't seen them use these for online classes but I think these would do (got them for PhP12,500). Just don't turn them off as getting them back on takes forever :)

raypin likes this.
  16. Gallilea Calpe

Gallilea Calpe New Member

Can you hook me up also? Lol. I’m trying to find a Macbook Air 2020 for my daughter also, I’m torn between 2019 or 2020

17. docjbr

Someone just informed me that apparently, prices are still cheaper if you use the education discount :ROFLMAO: