Frustrating trouble with charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by firesenshi, Nov 1, 2009.

1. firesenshi

firesenshi Member

My first charger had the cord connecting to the brick burned. As it turns out, a lot of people experienced the same problem from their chargers: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA538LL/B

Because it cannot be fixed, I replaced it. And barely over a year, my charger now won't charge. I have religiously done everything so that it will not have the same fate as Charger #1 based on what I read from forums, Mac tips, etc. I made sure there was not much stress in the cord so I carefully twisted it and kept it so that it will not be very bent. I had it plugged to a voltage regulator and not straight to a outlet knowing that our 220V might be too strong.

When I was getting charger #2, my friend went to buy with me because she experienced the very same problem as I did!

Seeing the reviews on even the Apple sites just validates that this is not an isolated case.

I'm seriously getting frustrated. :( Apple DOESN'T repair the charger so I have to buy a new one -- charger #3 -- which is more than the price of an iPod shuffle! :mad:

I know that machinery is subject to wear and tear, but this is a charger! It is something that is built as a heavy duty accessory not a disposable one!

I am seriously thinking of going back to PC just because this is frustrating!!! :slanted:

2. Clarice

Clarice Member

I have been using Macs for almost 8 years now and I have never had a charger break down on me so far. In fact, my iBook G3's original power adaptor is still alive.

Sorry to hear (or read) about your misfortunes. I hope you'll get more out of charger #3.

3. pinoydl

pinoydl Member

Maybe Apple can provide exception have you tried calling them?

4. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

Maybe it's also the battery?

I ask because sometimes when I plug in my charger, the green light doesn't turn on. It's connected, running on AC power, but it DOESN'T CHARGE, and there's NO LIGHT.

Sometimes I pop it out, pop it back in, and it works.

Other times, I plug it in, no light, after awhile (like 20 mins), the light will go on and start charging. Other times, (3 hours later), still not charging. So weird.

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

5. firesenshi

firesenshi Member

This is what happened to my charger for a few weeks before it started to break down.

@pinoyDL
    I emailed Apple and told them of the reviews the charger received. :(

6. RC

RC Active Member

@firesenshi
    Was also going to suggest an AVR but seems that wasn't the concern...

Have you been buying your chargers from the same place? what was the place that you've bought them? might also be that, the particular store received a batch of defective chargers...

Have you tried taking the charger to a different store?

If so, they themselves should have made some sort of initiative now that you're going to be on your 3rd charger...

Also, wasn't aware that Apple doesn't have any sort of warranty for chargers nowadays?
    (Is this only in countries without Apple Stores? Can anyone verify this?)

Anyway, it's a good thing that you've already e-mailed Apple about your story...hope they give something worth your while.

7. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

Ohhhh crraaaaaap. I wonder if my charger is still under warranty...