Fortnite vs Apple

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by ice, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. ice

3. ice

4. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

LOL, what a marketing joke. Weaponizing fanboys and gamers against other companies.

Ever since Mr. Sweeney and Epic got into bribing developers and publishers to force digital distribution exclusivity in the PC gaming space, I've lost all my respect for that company. They got what they deserve and they can take their free games and shove it.

raypin likes this.
  5. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I agree with you, and found this article agrees as well: https://www.imore.com/dont-let-epics-tragic-pr-stunt-distract-you-its-true-intentions

6. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

This is a better explanation on the case. If it will be cause cheaper apps for consumer then it is better.

7. ice

raypin likes this.
  8. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m guessing Epic planned this for awhile now. There’s no way they could have prepared the lawsuit that quickly, not to mention releasing a video so fast unless those have been planned at least a few weeks or months ago. Epic is no saint, they didn’t do this for their fans, they wanted to have more profit thinking lowering the prices of their products by removing the cut of Apple and Google would result to people buying more. The cut of Google and Apple is 30% and yet they offered 20% discount if you use their own payment system. So take a guess where will that 10% go.

gaol and raypin like this.
  9. ice

wingatu likes this.
  10. cHad

cHad Active Member

i don't play games but i see this as a benefit to the community if epic wins. Plus a PR awareness on how much apple/google is making off with very low expenses. You or I don't see it because what is 2 or 5 dollars to us; but if you combine all those and compute the 30%; that is huge. I think i read it that its the second cash cow to iPhone sales for apple.

Yea they created the app store and already reaped the rewards, but until when? isn't it time to reduce those cuts so that other companies can afford to pay their employees more rather than to apple's pockets.which just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Apple becoming bigger right now brings what to the market? they seem to be at a diminishing returns on right now; how more innovative can you get? new and smaller companies can't afford to compete with apple; and sadly if they show some real innovation; they would just be bought by the top 4.

I think they should implement something similar to patents where you can have sole rights to it for x years and then after it expires; its a free for all. Sure this has quality and security disadvantages but it can be worked out and streamlined.

wingatu and macjobber like this.
  11. Aargh

Apple justified their 30% cut by saying that before the app store. Game developers have to sell their games via brick and mortar stores which would actually get around a cut of around 50%-70%. And one can also argue that the App Store made it more accessible for small time developers to distribute their products to consumers. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t complain for cheaper apps and games granting it will have the same level of service and security, but I also agree that there is a value attach to having your apps available in the app store. The question is, if that value really is 30% of your potential income?

12. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Most of the time more expensive apps/games doesn't equate to more higher level of service and security. These apps and games were sandboxed already and the OS could already do something if it has security issues. 30% back then is justifiable for maintaining the app store but now it is too much that both Apple and Google earned billions from app store upkeep.

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...between Apple and Epic as gatekeepers, I d choose Apple as the sole gatekeeper. Proven model. Proven track record. Apple will never sell or monetize our data. Epic, once given the keys to the kingdom, can or may sell our data to make billions. It can set all sort of policies with no limits since what it demands is a separate app store, completely independent of Apple. Can we trust Epic? The 30% commision it saves does not necessarily translate to savings for app consumers. Epic can keep it for themselves.

But the biggest issue And most importsnt issue is sideloading, being able to install apps from app stores not controlled or guarded by Apple. It will open iOS users to malicious software and data-stealing apps. That cannot be allowed to happen because it damages the reputation of iOS as a secured platform for users. It undermines the security of all iOS users. Apple has been a tenacious gatekeeper of the walled garden that has kept us safe since the invention of the smartphone by Apple. Now, Epic wants to take down the walls and subject us to a much less secured app ecosystem. Is that worth risking that for a few dollars of savings, if any?

gaol, Shinahashirome and max_Moon like this.
  14. Aargh

15. cHad

cHad Active Member

this feels like the movie matrix; everyone is just happy and contented on what they have now and what is being spoon fed to them by a single provider. Sure; don't burst your bubbles and keep following. No harm done. It is the safest option. I understand. What is a couple of dollars to you. yea security, the creators, eco-system, the first, yada yada, just because one company created it doesn't make them the best company to keep innovating and providing top notch service. I thank apple for giving us the iphone and the app store as much as the wright brothers for inventing, building and flying the first motor-operated airplane; without them I wouldn't be enjoying them today.

16. ice

IMO, iOS is as secure as MacOS. The biggest difference between the 2, you can install MacOS apps from outside the App Store. Apple's sandbox will make things secure even if it was installed from the web.

As for "security and privacy," we all use Google and Facebook Apps and we all know how those services are free... How confident are you that our data from Grab (which includes credit card details), DJI and other Apps you have are secure? Garmin was just recently hit by a ransomware, will that make you stop using their trackers?

I'm on Apple's side on its war with Epic... iOS was built by Apple, if someone goes to your house, you would want them to follow by your rules.

Shinahashirome and gaol like this.
  17. alncl

alncl New Member

Sweeney's emails to Apple executives seemed very unprofessional to me.

18. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

The important thing about the App Store & Play Store is that it provides some level of security branding and protection for the user. In China Android does not have a single app store because of regulatory issues and there's always been issues of the app that you're downloading is certified and so forth.

Like right now the payment scheme is only through Apple/Google's facilities. If Epic and other app developers are allowed to use their own payment system then how can consumers verify if the payment system is legit or not?

If each app has their own payment method do we type our debit/credit card details for each app?

If your iOS or Mac device have 100+ unique apps each do you type your payment details each and every time?

That's as bad as how e-commerce is being done in the Philippines today. You need to retype your payment details each and everytime into PayMaya.

It's like on Amazon.com. I feel very safe to pay through them because it's Amazon.

Sweeney, because he's a techno geek, does not understand that the consumer market are not as sophisticated as he is. Getting viruses & malware is not a worry Sweeney and his ilk will suffer but for consumers & non-IT people it is a problem

#18 King, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  19. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, Epic just wants a bigger cut for themselves. Never mind the costs of operating a successful digital distribution storefront, data-centers, security, feature and services improvement, etc.

Like how it is with EGS' anti-consumer choice exclusivity agreements with the devs and publishers., it's not like the savings are passed on to the consumer.

raypin and King like this.
  20. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

If Sweeney wants FAANG money then he should create his own smartphone platform, his own app store, his own payment system and his own ecosystem from scratch.

Sweeney should stick to being a game developer and let the big boys take care of distribution.

raypin likes this.