format to snow leopard and restore

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by imacron, Jan 19, 2010.

1. imacron

imacron Member

currently, the OS is leopard and backed up in the time machine.

can i format with SL and restore all files with time machine. will it restore all files from the other user accounts plus the windows partition ( and files ) ? or do i need to back them up separately ?

tnx

2. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You should be able to erase the disk using SL then restore from your TM backup. Of course, when you restore, your system will be Leopard. By default, TM will backup all the user accounts.

TM will not backup your Windows Boot Camp partition. To back that up, use Winclone. Have used Winclone several times, it's great. It's donationware.

3. pdy2zon

pdy2zon Member

@ PatrickGaerlan - im currently using tiger on mbp late 2008. i recently got my mac box set but i am still having second thoughts on upgrading to snow leopard because of the known bugs with apps i use (adobe cs3, microsoft office 08, etc.). is it worth the upgrade or it will just cause more problems for me?

also, i backed up all of my files already. if i erase the disk and install SL, will i have any problems restoring my files from a tiger back-up disk?

4. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

@pdy
    If you have all your backups, no worries upgrading your current OS X to SL, if you got some issues, just update to the latest OS X SL update.

5. pdy2zon

pdy2zon Member

thanks j6l

6. pdy2zon

pdy2zon Member

sorry, another stu-p question...i can't find my installer disk for microsoft 08...i copied all the contents of the apps in my back-up disk...can i do the same process of copying it from the backup disk after installing SL or do i need the installer pa?

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I personally backup with Time Machine and clone my partitions. I also manually backup my native Apple Apps. When I moved machines, I encountered an error with Time Machine. My Mail data wasn't restored. Good thing I had manual backup which I used to restore.

Some 3rd party apps need to be reinstalled or reactivated with installer keys. It's best to have the cds ready just in case.

8. triballistic

triballistic Member

I'm planning to upgrade to SL from Leopard so I cloned my hard drive with CCC. If I install SL and choose to migrate stuff from "Other Mac" will it revert back to Leopard?

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If you use a migrating tool it shouldn't. If you clone back, well, you know what will happen.