For people who want to buy Skype credits in the Philippines...

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mikaelrules, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

Skype.com does not accept local credit cards and most people had to find someone with an American card to use.

I just discovered this site which allows you to buy Skype credits with local credit cards.

It's http://skype.hgcbroadband.com/en/index.htm

2. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Ooh good find! Have you already successfully made a transaction on this site?

I'm currently using Gizmo Project (www.gizmoproject.com) for VoIP but I still have to rely on my business partners in the US to top up my account balance with their credit cards ... like Skype, it does not accept my local cards.

3. rogue

rogue Member

wonderful... thanks for the info! i'm one of those who had to use my bro's american credit card... :)

4. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

It works! Woot!

[​IMG]

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Great find indeed!

6. abbadon

abbadon Member

Tried it earlier. Works like a charm. Thanks for the heads up!

7. bon

bon Active Member

Eh? What do you mean Skype.com doesn't accept local credit cards? I used my BPI card to buy US$10.00 worth of credit several months ago - the transaction was completed without a hitch, and within a few minutes I had my SkypeOut credits.

8. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

I dunno, right now when you try to enter the Philippines as your billing address it refuses the payment.

9. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

Has anyone experiend the auto-forwarding to Voicemail for Skype-IN, even if the called party is available?

10. abbadon

abbadon Member

Yeah, you're right. Just checked and it does allow you to pay in credit cards. But when I tried a few months ago, it only had paypal, and money transfers as options. Maybe because I have exsisting credits already? hmmm...

EDIT: Tried it. Ufortunately, it still didn't allow it. Better stick with the HGC-Skype.

#10 abbadon, Apr 25, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  11. bon

bon Active Member

Weird. Perhaps not all local credit cards are blocked? I just used mine a few months ago. Anyway, thanks for providing an alternate payment route (in case Skype decides to block my card in the future). :)

12. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

I just noticed that after buying credits from HGC Skype for some time, I can now buy skype credits using a local credit card through the skype.com website. :)

13. elbert

elbert Active Member

I finally bought myself some SkypeOut.

I couldn't get my credit cards to go through at Skype.com (rejected my BPI Mastercard and my HSBC Visa). I went to HGC Skype, which rejected my HSBC but approved my BPI.

Immediately after, I placed a call to the U.S. with no hitches. I just love the dial with Skype feature that's in the Address Book.app.

Thanks for the tip, Mikael.

#13 elbert, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  14. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I've been using my Bankard Mastercard to buy SkypeOut credits w/o problem.

15. webmikey

webmikey Member

This thread gave me a reason to re-visit Skype to buy Credits.

For some strange reason, it allowed me to buy credits using my BPI Mastercard.

The only difference I see is that the first time I attempted it, I entered my billing address prior to the Credit Card check. This time (since I saved my previous details from my previous session), I used the "saved" address in their system.

Dunno if manual entry has Country validation and using a saved entry doesn't. All I know is it worked as I described above.

As for HGC broadband, I'm not really familiar with the company so I'm kinda hesitant to enter my credit card information into what could potentially be a "phishing" site.

#15 webmikey, Aug 17, 2006
  16. elbert

elbert Active Member

The H in HGC stands for Hutchison. I think you can trust one of the world's largest conglomerates.

Hutchison Global Communications Holdings Limited is a publicly traded company in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

#16 elbert, Aug 17, 2006