Flash Plug-in a CPU hog?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by kili-kili power, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kili-kili power

Hey Muggers,

I just got my Unibody "7-hour battery" MBPRO replacement (the one i got from the US was a lemon.... long story) about 3 weeks ago and i've noticed with Safari on, it only gives me about less than 3 hours of battery life...

does the Safari Plug-in "Flash Player" really eat that much CPU usage? as you can see in my screen shot of the activity moniter.... it takes up 50%???

[​IMG]

I was really wondering why when Safari is open with about say 10 windows and 20 tabs, my battery only lasts less than 3 hours on a full charge... but if i run other apps with Safari closed, it can pass 4 hours naman. Is it a Snow Leopard thing kaya with Flash?

Lemme know what you guys think

2. Venet

Venet Member

Exact same thing here. People at PMC said they will consult Apple about it. No word from them yet though.

3. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

From my experience, I've noticed that flash heavy websites tax the cpu a lot. Video streaming included.

4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

flash has always been a problem for macbooks for as long as I can remember. some of the fan issues/overheating of the MB/MBPs are also directly related to Flash use in Safari.

5. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

Yup, i noticed it too when playing flash based games (farmville, restaurant city). Also notice that your computer heats up and the fans spins like crazy, around 6200 rpm, primarily the reason your getting less hours from your battery.

6. berniej

berniej Active Member

@KKP: I chanced upon this interesting article from Downloadsquad.

Short summary of the article: Your battery performance may be influenced by what browser you use.

Although the tests were made on Windows laptops, the results may also be valid for Macs