Fixing macOS Mail SMTP Sending Issues 2021

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by lamski, Jul 22, 2021.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

For several days, I could not send email from Apple Mail using the iCloud SMTP server.
    I have done the following:
    • Signed out from Apple ID - from System Preferences/Apple ID/Overview, there is a sign out button.
    • This will sign you out from all apps using your apple ID e.g. Mail, App Store, iTunes, TV, etc.
    • Rebooted the mac, signed back to Apple ID.
    • In the iCloud section, check the services I want to enable e.g. Mail.
    • Mail would re-add your iCloud IMAP and SMTP settings.
    Unfortunately, email sending would still not work. An error dialog would pop up with an error message: <unknown[xxx.xx.xxx.xxx]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Using Mail's connection doctor showed that everything was connected, even the iCloud SMTP server.
    I removed the iCloud SMTP server and tried to recreate it. When I used my iCloud password, the SMTP went offline. Connection doctor says it could not log in to the SMTP server.

After several days of Googling, I found this Apple support article: Using app-specific passwords
    Following the directions, I inspected my Apple ID account page and found that I had 1 generated password for this mac, specifically for the SMTP server. I deleted that and generated a new password. I used the new generated password for the SMTP password and it went online.

I could now send email from my iCloud accounts again.