Fitness Trackers (UP by Jawbone, Nike+ FuelBand, FitBit Flex, etc)

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by riderandy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. wem272

wem272 Active Member

I’ve used up24, charge 1,2 and my current watch is charge hr 3 for more than a year. Charge hr 3 is my favorite but it’s not perfect. The pros are 5 to 7 day battery life, step tracking, hr esp if your an exercise nut and sleep tracking. The sleep tracking was recently upgraded with oxygen count or something that sounds like that. The feature tracks variances in your breathing while asleep. I found the data quite interesting for example a full meal late at night increases my resting heart rate, no air conditioning also raises heart rate. This ties with my own analysis that my having optimal sleep is tied to a cool environment. That I think is the best feature: when you can try to tie in your own individual life decisions and patterns to how your body reacts to it. I have not tried any of the versa or higher end Fitbit. Hopefully, this year Apple comes out with something better for its own Apple Watch like better battery so sleep tracking can be enabled, only then will I fall to the temptation of getting an Apple Watch.

gaol and shaft like this.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

The Series 4 and 5 have great battery life already. You can use them to track sleep. It does not take that long to charge -- put it on the charger when you take a bath before you sleep, and that charge should be enough to last you for 8 hours (in theatre mode - hopefully a new sleep mode in the near future)

3. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

After a year on the charge 2 and another w/the fitbit charge3 i switched to the AW5. Its been just about 2mos now. At first i was disappointed w/not finding an app to replace the sleep tracking app of fitbit, but now im using autosleep(ios) and love the details. Much better. The one thing that stands out is HRV tracking. After trying different workout apps as well, i seem to be just ending up with the default workout apps in the AW which is great too. The Fitbit Charge 3 is a no nonsense tracker that really does its job well however, the AW is that as well and with many other options.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm also waiting for the Apple Watch to have a much longer battery life and as a result have sleep tracking built-in (not via 3rd party); hopefully AW6 is the one that would make me switch back to the iPhone and AW.

In the meantime, I recently switched from the Fitbit Charge 2 (in combo with the Galaxy Watch) to the Versa 2 and I like it very much, especially now that it has the Always On Device feature (with good options for watch faces) like the Samsung Galaxy Watch before. Fitbit's sleep tracking has always been topnotch as well as its other fitness tracking features, including weight (with the Fitbit Aria scale). Plus the notifications I get are fine, not too little but also not too intrusive.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

While it’s “fun” to know how you fare when you sleep, any sleep tracker won’t surely say what dream, or nightmare, I’ve been through. So far, the AW5 just says how much I’ve slept, which is too much, and how many times that sleep was interrupted, which isn’t much. Other than that, the bedside table clock actually makes me sleepy.

shaft likes this.
  6. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

7. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

8. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

The reasons why I shifted from Samsung Gear 2 to Withings HR model

1)I hate charging the watch almost every day .... With Withings, I take me about 21 days before I charge since it downs to 10 % This includes me working out almost 6 days a week for almost an hour including swimming or cycling on weekends Plus takes only less than an hour to fully charge up
    2) I need to read the time quickly, I know about the wake-up screen upon turn up your with but nothing beats a physical watch hand, plus I sneak looks at my watch easier. because i can do it at an angle :
    3)The much slimmer profile makes it more comfortable to wear while I sleep.
    3) It looks closer to the dress watch and I usually wear suits, plus I am a wanna be a horologist . Been mistaken once to be a swiss made branded watch :D
    4)Testing out the brand is it is reliable Since the model I am looking forward to is the Scanwatch model which will detect your heart rate for abnormality, ask you to take an ECG test with your watch and send the result to your cardio doctor if you need further assessment. It can also detect sleep apnea.

Cons
    Watch hand is not luminous, So I have to press a button at night to see a digital readout.
    Hope for a sapphire glass :D

#228 dasaint, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    kyubi and gaol like this.
  9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

New devices from Fitbit

Fitbit’s new Sense smartwatch can take your skin’s temperature to help you manage stress | The Verge

ronjet likes this.
  10. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

ronjet likes this.
  11. ice

12. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I'm using a Garmin 45S. It's the entry level version of the Garmin fitness watches. Like the Fitbits, it tracks movements and sleep. The one thing I like about it is it has a "Body Battery" measure. It's been quite accurate, based on my experience so far. The watch's battery lasts 4-5 days, depending on how often and I guess, how long you run. I only do 40 minutes to 1 hour, 2-3x a week, hence the long-ish battery life.

roinuj88 likes this.
  13. ice

14. ice