Fitness Trackers (UP by Jawbone, Nike+ FuelBand, FitBit Flex, etc)

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by riderandy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

I'm planning to get one for my dad. His MiBand broke and I'm torn between Fitbit Flex, Jawbone UP3, and Garmin Vivofit. Any experiences with them? His primary concern is the sleep tracker so I don't know which one among the 3 should I get. Reviews I'm reading say that they're all at par.

Edited: nevermind. I just won an eBay bid for the Alta at a price way less than the Flex :D

#201 tiffitotz, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm slowly getting back into outdoor running & biking after a few years' hiatus due to knee problems. I'd like to get this group's views on the pros/cons of using a dedicated GPS/fitness watch vs fitness apps on a mobile phone.

I was using a Wahoo Fitness app on my iP4 before I stopped. Now that I'm starting up again, running/fitness watches have become more affordable & functional.

My needs are as follows:

1. Must map my route.
    2. Must record my distance, time & heart rate. Auto-pause is also a must.
    3. Must be able to play downloaded music / podcasts.
    4. Nice to have are all the other metrics (cadence, speed, etc.) during the run & at the end of the run.

I do have an Ant+ cadence/speed sensor on my bike which I was using before I stopped. I also have a Ant+ chest HRM.

3. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

looks like Mi Band 2 is best in value, cheap as it can be, about 2k pesos locally, and its almost half the price if in HK or China,
    anyone tried it?

4. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

If it's of better quality than the first one, maybe it should be okay. My dad's Mi Band didn't even last half a year.

5. cunninglinguist

It's pretty accurate in counting steps only. The caloric burn count is off compared to my fitbit charge HR. Battery life though is wonderful. Some sellers price it at 1800.

6. ivin

ivin Active Member

the new pebble 2 HR looks great for the price.

7. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Please spare a moment of silence for my fallen fitness trackers that have helped me through the years to lose weight and be more active :(. Listed below in order of ownership from left to right (and cause of death).

all.jpg

1. Fitbit One
    (I forgot to take it off the pants I was wearing the day before so it drowned in the washing machine)
    2. Misfit Shine (died when I took it swimming. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be waterproof and one of it's selling points is you can take it swimming. Sigh....)
    3. Misfit Shine #2 (the tracker popped out when I was playing basketball and someone stepped on it)
    4. Jawbone UP24 (it just suddenly died in less than 6months of use)

Among the trackers I've tried, I have used Fitbit the longest w/c means I have lost the most weight while that was on me. Misfit has the least inspiring and least motivational app. I liked the Misfit's discreteness, simplicity, and 6-month battery life though so I gave it a 2nd try. Jawbone probably has the best app among the 3 because of Smart Coach. Smart Coach is errrrr... smart. It gives you highly personalized feedback, instructions, and slight nudges to keep you on track.

Even though my UP24 lasted the shortest, I liked the UP app so much that I immediately bought another UP24 (shown below) and have ordered the UP3 in Amazon and am now waiting for my relatives to bring them home. One thing I learned is that these things break and I have become highly dependent on them so I'll make it a point now to always have a backup tracker on hand just in case the current one I'm using suddenly breaks. Using my phone as a tracker just doesn't cut it and thus, there will always be a market for wearable tech. I have high hopes for the UP to finally get me to my target weight of 155lbs.

jb.jpg

#207 extremeshot, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Ghibli and docjbr like this.
  8. supahdende

supahdende Well-Known Member

I got a free fitbit charge 2 from citibank. Anyone knows where to buy good bands especially the leather one? The ones sold by fitbit is too expensive.

9. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Check out my review of the Xiaomi Mi Band 2

10. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Presently using the Fitbit Alta HR (after my Fitbit Charge HR). My con so far - it rounds off the number of steps (i.e. it says 5.4K, instead of 5,445). Pros- bracelet can be replaced; there's a battery indicator; and it gives more timely reminders, via Fitibit app, that unit needs to be charged.

docjbr likes this.
  11. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Still using a Garmin, i use the Fenix 5x for activities i.e. Indoor rowing, climbing and trail running. Anyone else in Garmin Connect? Let's connect! :)

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone here using a Fitbit Flex 2?

Looking for something discreet for my wife...

Or is the Misfit Ray a better tracker?

13. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone with recommendations on a tracker they've liked lately? My Fitbit Charge (the one where you can't change the strap), well, it gave up on my, the strap just peeled off the tracker. It's currently holding on (with Mighty Bond :ROFLMAO:), since the tracker still works, but the strap just won't hold. Any new things to look out for, and where to get them at a good price? I've gotten a lot of advice to get Garmin, but the band type, since I will pair this with a regular watch.

iSk8er likes this.
  14. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Guys need advice on what to get. FitBit ionic or garmin 645. TIA

15. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Fitbit Charge 3, is it worth upgrading from the Charge 2?

16. ice

Time to replace my wife'e Fitbit.

Anyone here who uses the Fitbit Versa Lite with an iPhone?

17. ice

18. ice

19. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Well-Known Member

What fitness bands do you currently use?

Can't decide what to get. Fitbit and Honor Band 5 look good.

20. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Upgrade my Garmin Fenix 5x to the Garmin 6x Pro Solar. The 6x has been more comfortable than the 5x, also has a longer battery life. (y)