First Time MacBook Pro User would appreciate advice, tips, things to do first etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bogtsie, Jun 3, 2014.

1. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

hello folks - does anyone have working experience using exFAT for external HDDs to be used between Windows and OSX? it seems to be the most straightforward way to share files between both worlds, but there seems to be a fair amount of concern going around against it.

2. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

i'm new to the whole Mac experience myself, but if i may give it a try:

if my experience setting up Exchange email in iOS is any indication, setting it up in Mail should be just as straightforward.

you should be able to open/edit MS Office documents in iWork and export them back to MS Office, but they won't translate 100% all the time (e.g. changes to presentation slide formatting changes, spreadsheet formulas, font sizes, etc.).

according to these:
    Switch from Windows Outlook to Outlook 2011 for Mac - For Dummies
    Importing Windows Outlook messages into Apple's Mail | Macworld

you should be able to, regardless of the approach you ultimately decide to take.

3. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i still went ahead and formatted my external HDDs to exFAT just so life would be easier between my new macbook and my old windows desktop. the only thing i keep in mind is to always, ALWAYS unmount the drives before removing as i've read that exFAT is more sensitive with plug-pulling than NTFS.

i accidentally pulled one without unmounting (not while copying, that must be worse), and i think there had been some problems (can't remember what) that forced me to do a repair disk on the drive or something. i think the disk didn't mount itself automatically until i repaired the disk.

4. summeriscoming

summeriscoming New Member

Hi. I'm kinda confused with Apple's numbering system. Can anyone confirm if "MD101ZP/A" is the model number of mid 2014 Macbook Pro? Is it the latest 13-inch Non-Retina Macbook Pro?

5. mokmoki

this should answer your question: How to identify MacBook Pro models

short answer: yes that's the latest non-retina macbook pro, but there hasn't been a new non-retina MBP since mid-2012. :)

6. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

md101zp/a is not the model number, what you gave was an order number, the model number is a1278. anyways, the md101zp/a is the "latest" non retina macbook pro and was updated last june 2012.

7. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Hello. How do you guys maintain your macbooks cool when connected to an external display? Mine's located under a monitor stand and generates quite a lot of heat, I'm assume it's because it's monitor lid is closed.

Any other way to help it run cooler without me having to operate it with the LCD lid open ?

8. mokmoki

only way i can think of is have a cooling pad underneath, but that can only go so far hehe..

9. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Another option is installing hfs Explorer in your Windows computer. Basically what you do is format your external hd in Mac os format and use hfs Explorer in your Windows computer to read/copy files off it. It's not very straight forward though. Hfs program would have to extract files/folders that you would want to copy to your Windows computer. But overall it gets the job done.

10. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

thanks for that - at least i have one more option to use when working with files. i'm still sticking with exFAT for a more "seamless" experience, though from first-hand experience it is way more sensitive to improper OS ejects/removals.

11. mokmoki

I just cleaned my keyboard protector again, and it's color is really turning into this orange hue (and this was already after cleaning it with diswashing soap)..

[​IMG]

Then I cleaned my keyboard with a moist white cloth and it turns out that this orange residue is also left on the keys itself.

[​IMG]

#131 mokmoki, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  12. wgd05260

wgd05260 New Member

To calibrate your battery:
    1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your MacBook Pro battery until the light onthe power adapter plug changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu barindicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may useyour computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the MacBook Pro on and start running it from thebattery. You may use your computer during this time.
    When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
    4. Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work andclose all applications when the battery gets low and before the system goes to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully chargedagain.
    Important: Repeat the calibration process occasionally to keep your battery fullyfunctioning. If you use your MacBook Pro infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate thebattery at least once a month.

13. wgd05260

wgd05260 New Member

Essential apps for Beginners. -->>Lifehacker Pack for Mac: Our List of the Essential Mac Apps

14. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

@dyulyadolletoff @wgd05260 - i admit i was once part of the "dark side", but i'm slowly reforming. instead of the options you've thought about, i would highly recommend either using either Google Drive, iWork (it should come free with new devices), or use open source options like LibreOffice or OpenOffice.

if you really, REALLY need MS Office (e.g. say, for layout compatibilty), you could grab Office for Mac Home & Student 2011 instead.

15. linkk

linkk Active Member

this is why I got rid of my moshi keyboard protector, my friend refused to get rid of his until it left a permanent/ very hard to remove mark on his retina screen.

16. mokmoki

really? crap, should stop leaving this in the macbook when closed then.

17. linkk

linkk Active Member

Yes its true, and i advise him not to apply too much pressure when wiping it off or else it might result to other screen problems like scratches or the screen coating to wear off.

18. resisus

resisus Member

This is also my dilemma as I also need to use Visual Studio and SQL for some work. How did you guys install those softwares?
    I have heard of VMware, Boot Camp and VirtualBox, but how do I use those? I don't want to do dual boot becUse I know that it will consume a huge amount of space.

19. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

If your work is heavily dependent on Windows (e.g. .Net developers), BootCamp is recommended. It allows you to install Windows OS so you can do dual-boot. Of course, this will consume additional space since you will be installing additional software. Most Windows-based developers I know prefer BootCamp instead of using Virtual Machine software.

20. resisus

resisus Member

With BootCamp, how much space will it consume? I only intend to buy the 128Gb, and will use my HDD.