First Time MacBook Pro User would appreciate advice, tips, things to do first etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bogtsie, Jun 3, 2014.

1. drachx

drachx New Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

I did found out 256ssd for 6K , can I add this later on and will not void the warranty? so 128+256 na sya..
    Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6Gbps mSATA Internal SSD - is this plug and play ?

2. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

are you talking about the retina macbook pro models? because if so, then all components (CPU, SSD, RAM) are no longer upgradeable after your purchase.

the only remaining upgradeable macbook pro is the 13-inch non-retina model.

3. drachx

drachx New Member

thanks mokmoki so my option now is the older model.. i just found yesterday 2nd hand mbp 2012, 4gb , 500gb, no apple extended warranty for 33k.
    My question is sulit na ba yan and how about upgrading the osx to yosemite is there an issue to be consider like apple serial etc..
    and what are the things to consider when buying 2nd hand mbp..
    TIA

4. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

@drachx
    The 2012 MBP uses the older cpu chip Ivy bridge. And it is still not retina.
    That is also my concern when upgrading a month ago.
    I was still leaning more on the upgradable models since... the present retina models have a very low ssd storage max of 256 for my budget as compared to the upgradable 500gig hd models.Which of course you can change later to ssd.

Got the MBP2012 model but with warranty.
    If the unit you are considering seem ok and no issues, then that would be ok. But always remember there is still the risk since it is already out of warranty.

5. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

You should take note that with higher capacity drives, you need to sacrifice weight and performance.

6. mokmoki

i think it's really up to his budget and how far he can stretch it.

7. wantiphone

wantiphone Member

Keyboard protectors are great but dont leave it there while closed it might damage ur screen. Also, calibrate ur battery once a month.

8. 1-PZIN01

1-PZIN01 Member

Do you guys use torrent download apps on your Mac? Are these safe? Coz when I was using windows there are times that I would have virus alerts from the downloads. I know this probably has been discussed before. First time Mac user problems.

9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ unless I'm mistaken, discussions on torrent downloads aren't allowed in Philmug. :).

10. mokmoki

there are legitimate uses for torrents though, just not sure if the "not allowed" part is just for the piracy side of things, or torrents altogether in general. :)

11. aris_garcia_09

Can someone help me aa my mba doesnt have anything on it except pictures but the "others" are eating all my memory space

12. Sven

Sven Active Member

Try using OmniDiskSweeper, you'll be able to see which specific folder is eating your space.

mauwrr likes this.
  13. drachx

drachx New Member

thanks guys, finally got my mbp13 non retina yesterday @ btbvmall 12months-0%, they also gave me 1000 discount for crumpler.

14. mokmoki

it's been more than 2 months since i got my macbook pro retina. i bought a keyboard protector for it within the first week (moshi clearguard) and the funny thing is, my keys are still showing signs of starting to become "shiny" even with the keyboard protector on, haha! i couldn't wipe it off with the microfiber cloth so i'm assuming that the matte finish still started to wear out even with a kb protector.

the keyboard protector is also starting to change color from a nice translucent white to an off-white / yellowish color. i've cleaned the protector around 3-4 times already due to accumulated oil/dead skin.

i know the "shiny" keys would have been worse if i didn't have a keyboard protector on - but it kind of defeats the purpose if the keys will still eventually get shiny over time (albeit at a slower rate). oh well, it was bound to happen one way or another. it's just interesting to note that using keyboard protectors doesn't guarantee 100% protection from shiny keys. :p

15. wena73

wena73 Member

thanks for sharing, I've been wanting to try the paragon ntfs so i can use my portable ntfs drive.

16. wena73

wena73 Member

How do you calibrate the battery? TIA :)

17. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

first time mac user here too - and i must say that the learning curve hasn't been as bad as i thought it might be. :) will be going thru the threads to try to get as much info before asking my own questions.

18. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

19. mokmoki

with all these stories of dropped MBP's, i'm starting to worry that it might happen to me too. i've been using my MBP semi-naked (only a keyboard protector) for 2 months now, i can't picture my face when i accidentally drop this thing.

common sense tells me i should get a hardshell case for it but i really don't like the look of macbooks inside cases. aside from the looks, my main reservation from using hardshell cases is that most probably will affect heat dissipation. plastics are insulators so heat coming off the aluminum body will get trapped inside it, which might result to the fans working a little harder than normal because it needs to dissipate that extra heat.

20. muchos

muchos Member

Apologies in advance if some if some of the questions were answered already but here are my questions as my laptop crashed and will be switching into a Mac in a day or two:

1. Is it easy to setup exchange email in the native outlook application?

2. For my MS Office files to work I need to purchase the MS Office for Mac?

3. Can I still transfer/open my pst files in a Mac?

Thanks in advance.