First Time MacBook Pro User would appreciate advice, tips, things to do first etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bogtsie, Jun 3, 2014.

1. red

red Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

Enjoy your new MBP.

2. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Re: First Time MacBook Pro User would apreciate advise, tips, things to do first etc.

You can either get the small 2.5inch portable usb backup drives but they currently max out at around 1TB size. If you don't plan to bring it along everywhere you go, then you can get the bigger 3.5inch ones that need an external power adapter that connects to USB and they range anywhere up to 3TB as of this writing. By the way, get the USB3.0 ones at least. These can do the job a lot faster than those USB2.0 drives. The bigger the drive, the more backups it can keep so you can still get back the file of a document or whatever you need all the way back to a month ago depending on your drive capacity. Mine is already almost full so most of the time when time machine does a backup, it cleans or deletes the oldest backup copy to make space for the new backups of those files modified. :D

Although there are thunderbolt backup drives available already with select brands, the thunderbolt is fast but you'd have a problem using the drive on non Mac units or even desktops since the PC doesn't sport the thunderbolt port. Best is to go USB3.0 for now since that's the fastest and most compatible across all devices including Smart TVs and Android TV boxes.

3. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Alright. I might just get the portable 1tb even though I intend to always leave it at home just so it wouldn't take up too much space on my work desk.

Now, can you guys recommend a store with the cheapest HDs?

Thanks for the tip guys!

4. red

red Member

Abacus at V-Mall sells WD drives. A lot of Muggers including myself buy HDDs, SD cards, and RAM there.

5. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

Dropped by from Abacus yesterday, surprised how cheap HDDs have gotten, a 3TB My Book with USB3 goes for 6k, the 4TB for 8300. Internal 9.5 mm thick 2.5 drives were priced at 2,200 for 500gb and 3,300 for the 1TB.

6. Time

Time Member

Always make sure you have backups.

Every now and then verify/repair permissions.

7. david1215

david1215 Member

Buy a nice, tight sleeve and a keyboard cover and you're good to go! :)

8. mariolouis

mariolouis Member

I've heard about external HDD hybrids with Thunderbolt and usb 3.0. Not sure where I've read it? But I'm pretty sure it costs an arm and a leg.

9. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

What's the repair permissions for?

10. 1-PZIN01

1-PZIN01 Member

Hello,

Just got my Macbook Pro from BTB/DH. Shoutout to Danica and the rest for the assistance.

This is the first time I'm using a Mac, just have some things to clarify:
    - Do I just get apps through the App Store (similar to an iPhone) ? I'm trying to get VLC player, Ms Office etc.
    - I have an external HD which I used previously in my Windows laptop, do I need an app to access the files there? (I think this has somehow been discussed in the previous page but I'd like to ask for a little latitude.)

Thanks guys!

PS. This retina display is blowing my mind, so awesome! =)

11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

It's like using CCleaner on Windoze. (not exactly like that but very close to that - hope you're getting the picture :))

12. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Congrats not only for your new toy, but for making a great decision on switching! and Welcome to PhilMUG.

- most of the apps are on the App Store, but there are some which are not (although they're free) - you can get them from their own websites like that of VLC and MS Office.

- if that drive was used for Windoze - it must be in NTFS format (or FAT32/ExFAT if you're old school) --- if that's the case, you will be needing an app like Tuxera NTFS for you to be able to access (read/write) the files there in either OS (Win/Mac).

13. dyulyadolletoff

dyulyadolletoff New Member

which is better an 11" or 13" macbook air? I need some advice. thanks

14. dyulyadolletoff

I also want to buy my first macbook air, but I'm looking for a great deal, would you happen to know where I can get some discounts?
    Thanks in advance.

15. maaarz

maaarz Member

honestly, it all boils down to your needs.

personally, i got an 11" mba over the 13" one because i needed something really light (i bring it to school quite often) and was small enough to fit the really cramped tables in our classroom. also, i figured i could do away with the SD card slot since i don't own a digital camera anyway and wouldn't have much use for it. oh, and i don't really mind the smaller screen.

but if you find the screen and trackpad too small on the 11", or if you want an SD card slot, i say go for the 13" model. it's really your choice :)

16. mokmoki

i read here MacBook Pro with Retina display: Do not use palm rest or keycap covers that keyboard covers aren't recommended for the retina models. anybody here using covers on their rMBP's? i don't want my keys to get shiny, but i don't want to damage / scratch my screen either. but i really want to get a keyboard protector because these keys are bound to get shiny sooner or later. :-/

17. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

mokmoki, I'm using a palm rest (JCPAL) and have no issues with it. As with the keyboard cover, I remove it before closing the lid (but I had no problems too during the times that I forgot to remove the keyboard protector.)

18. benchbob

benchbob Member

Thanks for sharing this, I usually close the lid of my rMBP without removing the keyboard protector..it seems wala naman problem..pero I'll remove it na from now on, better be safe than sorry. :)

19. dyulyadolletoff

thank you for your reply @maaarz, appreciate it. yeah I am also thinking that I could just put in my bag and go, I will use it for my work. when and where you purchase your mba?

20. mokmoki

i bought a moshi keyboard protector anyway (despite the apple advisory) because i can't stand the thought of having shiny keys after a few months of use.

i'll try leaving it on the keyboard even when the lid is closed, and try to see if it will leave marks on the screen. if it does, it means that the keyboard cover is being pressed down by the lid, and probably remove it after use (which is such a pain when i think about it).