First impressions of iPhoto 6

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Adel, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Am doing a review of the new Apple software for our magazines and I find myself liking the new iPhoto plenty big. Just starting to use it, and I'm already pleasantly surprised. It's way faster then Version 5, for one. Like the previous major upgrade to it, the photo library has to be updated to work with v.6, and if you have a large set, it might take a while.

Also, after installing, Repair Disk Permissions shows an alarming number of corrections (somewhat like after the previous upgrade, come to think of it.) Like I said, am just starting to explore the software. More later.

2. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Adel where & for how much did you grab your copy of iLife '06? Does Apple Center stock them already?

3. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Just an NFR review copy. No stock in Apple Center yet, AFAIK. According to sources, it'll retail between P5k-6k, maybe in two weeks time. Penmanila in SanFo had a hard time buying his copy, I heard. Patience, padawan.

4. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Thanks! Keep us posted with your reviews.

(Hmmm. Where was that pic of you taken?)

5. mnx

mnx Active Member

yeah. there's a speed gain but not much. i thought the compare button allows for side-by-side comparison of original and edited photos. turns out it's just side-by-side of 2 different images. not enough changes to put cash down if this is all you're looking for.

[​IMG]

6. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

That was high up a tiny island in this beautiful cove across from Coron in Palawan. De Caprio's 'The Beach' has nothing on that place. When we slid into the cove over what seemed like smooth green glass, my jaw literally dropped - I was awestruck. That's why its great that iPhoto 6 has all these great new features, and I can improve the pictures! (Galing ba mag-bring back on-topic?) :)

EDIT: By the way, that shot of me was taken by my dear friend, the late Philmugger Mike Llorin. You may have read about what happened to him elsewhere on the forum. Sniff.

#6 Adel, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  7. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Nothing compares to those lagoons/coves all over Palawan! Perfect location to tinker the new iPhoto 6 with. (Hehe ;) ) I'm sorry about Mike Llorin. Very sad. Senseless. He lives on through his wonderful work/pics.

Give us a buzz when iLife and iWork become available locally.

8. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

@ mnx

You can try Photos -> Duplicate Photo.
    Highlight both identical images in thumbnail view then hit the Fullscreen button. Both images will be displayed side-by-side and you can edit either one as you will.

I don't know if it's just me, but the thumbnails appear sharper now than in iPhoto5.

[​IMG]

#8 booblanco, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  9. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

am using ilife06, and i have to say that iphoto is now a lot faster for me than it used to be--used to take loooong to load the pix, now they're up in a few secs.

10. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

hmmm... scrolls like butter?

im quite disappointed that apple did not release upgrade kits for existing 05 users, then again @ 79 moolahs, and cheaper than some software upgrades, who can complain?

11. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Is iLife 6 already ready for mac intel and PPC apple computers?

12. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member