firewalls and anti-virus

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by lalachoa, Aug 24, 2005.

1. lalachoa

lalachoa Guest

Do I need anti-spyware, firewalls and anti-virus programs for the new mac I am planning to buy? I have an old PC and I really want to switch to ibook. But I am not sure about the above programs. So far I can only find Norton and not other brands for macs. Any comments/suggestions?

2. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Mac OS X already has a nice firewall built-in. Just turn it on in the system preferrences -> network sharing menu.

3. Smitty

Smitty Guest

The new macs on Tiger seem to live fine without antivirus but there are always other options. Norton works fine with my PB but when I upgraded to Tiger, I lost my antivirus. There are several threads here on anti-virus. Just go with whichever you're comfortable with.

I'm currently using a Power Book and have started to get a lot of "virus emails". My mail keeps sending me "undeliverable mail" or "mail deliver failure". At the end of each mail, I'm informed that there's a virus. It's always a windows virus so it doesn't affect my system but it does get annoying. I just used my wife's powerbook to scan my computer as I set it to target drive. Seems fine right now.

Bottom line, it's always good to have anti-virus!

Hope this helps...somehow...

4. Smitty

Smitty Guest

The new macs on Tiger seem to live fine without antivirus but there are always other options. Norton works fine with my PB but when I upgraded to Tiger, I lost my antivirus. There are several threads here on anti-virus. Just go with whichever you're comfortable with.

I'm currently using a Power Book and have started to get a lot of "virus emails". My mail keeps sending me "undeliverable mail" or "mail deliver failure". At the end of each mail, I'm informed that there's a virus. It's always a windows virus so it doesn't affect my system but it does get annoying. I just used my wife's powerbook to scan my computer as I set it to target drive. Seems fine right now.

Bottom line, it's always good to have anti-virus!

Hope this helps...somehow...

5. lalachoa

lalachoa Guest

Thanks for the advice. Am currently looking into Norton since that is the most familiar anti-virus.

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

For now, my suggestion is save your money and don't bother with anti-virus/anti-spyware for the Mac, there's no need for it.