Firefox mis-directed? A strange page appears sometimes.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Bruce Hall, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

Using both Firefox 3 and Safari 3 (OS 10.4) when I go to a link that I know works -- sometimes even when I try to go to Google -- I get an odd page which looks like a generic search page.

Why? Is my browser somehow being redirected but only sometimes? Is there something on my computer that I can delete?

It seems to happen only when there is a brief interruption in the connection -- but only seems as I can't tell. But I also sometimes get the standard "cannot connect" message.

I have deleted cookies and cache to no effect.

2. berniej

berniej Active Member

Try changing your Mac's DNS Settings and point it to OpenDNS (primary: 208.67.222.222; secondary: 208.67.220.220). If your browser goes to the websites you intend it to go, then probably your' ISP's DNS server has been "compromised".

3. HooHaw

HooHaw Member

I've been experiencing that for the last few months. I'm using SmartBro in Davao.

Changing DNS server worked for a few days to a couple of weeks. It seems to happen whenever your DNS server 'hesitates' or bogs down or is slow to respond.

Someone I know says it might be the ISP trying to make a quick buck doing this.

It appears some Canadian and US ISPs are also doing the same thing.

4. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I have SmartBro too, in Iloilo. Maybe it is related to the ISP. But I have been using SmartBro for a year and I don't think that I have been having this problem for a year. Regardless, to whom do we complain at Smartbro?

I will try changing the DNS.

Thanks for all the posts.

5. jemt111

jemt111 Member

Strange, experienced this today. I use SmartBro as well

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

check your url. misspelled url will redirect you to the odd search engine.

7. lovely

lovely New Member

I'm having this problem as well! Screen shot when I tried to access the Apple website.

[​IMG]

I've tried resetting safari and reinstalling mac os x. Nothing works. I've only installed a few applications like Adium, Skype, Isquint, and Limewire. And I don't go to seemingly unsafe websites. Is this a virus or a trojan? By the way, I'm on SmartBro too.

8. mindless

mindless Member

It has nothing to do with safari or firefox, meridiantelekoms' dns cache has been poisoned hence sometimes urls reslove to this search page.

9. 8cats

8cats Member

i live here in the states and my firefox IS misdirected as well. it goes to another searchsite that's irritating. even when i'm clicking on my yahoo mails, there are times when i get to this weird site instead of opening up the mail that i clicked.

what to do?

thanks!

10. raypin

this might be a smartbro problem......I've been having difficulty today connecting to the internet and I use Smartbro. Tried to download some movies from iTunes through my 1. PC, 2. MBA, 3. ATV but I have not been able to do so. I keep getting downloaded error codes or could not connect to iTunes messages. Tried all sorts of hardware fix (resetting my wifi, direct connect, etc.) but the same problems persist. Called up *888 and they told me that they have no network problem of any sort. Also, I've been getting "could not locate remote server" when I access different websites.

11. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

My firefox tends to open an error page (like it can't find the site) but when I click refresh, it opens up. Sometimes it doesn't though which is annoying lol

12. raypin

I hope this is not a repeat of the backbone problems we had a couple of months ago when an earthquake in Taiwan severed several precious submarine cables. Took weeks to repair and it wreaked havoc on internet trafic to and from Asia.

13. xkg

xkg Member

hey, i'm also on meridiantelekom AND smartbro and this has also happened to me today. aside from a search engine appearing, there's also a "tag cloud" with some seemingly random key words.

what does this mean that the "server has been compromised"? is it some kind of hacking incident?

tia.

14. dr0le

dr0le New Member

A DNS vulnerability was reported a month ago by Dan Kaminsky and believed that about 11 Million servers are vulnerable. So try to ask your ISP if their DNS server are patched or use OpenDNS. Kaminsky's blog has a checker to find out if your DNS server is vulnerable.

#14 dr0le, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

I thought I'm the only one who experience this issue, until now at the very moment it happens to my browser as well.

16. raypin

I was also thinking along those lines.....maybe a denial of service attack. To this very hour, I am still experiencing the same access problems specially websites that are in the U.S. But there's been a noticeable improvement (without me doing anything re: smarbro). My ATV is now downloading some movies I've rented from itunes U.S. It is slow but at least there is some progress, instead of that infernal -3051 download error code that I have been receiving all day long. I couldn't even get a straight answer from googling that strange itunes error code.

Funny thing is the kaminsky blog link above yields "could not locate remote server."

17. raypin

now it works. By changing the DNS to 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, I've been able to access U.S. websites. Open DNS seems to be the solution. Thanks to enshong.

#17 raypin, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  18. mindless

mindless Member

Only the ISP can fix this and I don't think they're even aware that their dns has been compromised.

19. djwoblely

djwoblely Member

I have the same problem, I'm using smart bro in Malate. It's a DNS poison i think and smartbro is not really doing much to fix it. I am not suprised being that they have never gave me good service. My internet has been down for 4 days and now it is still doing this same redirecting thing. I believe my browser has been doing this for about 2 weeks but now its worse not even letting me go to the site. Before it would redirect but after a couple retypes or refreshes it would get me to the page. SmartBro needs to step their service up. This is a security breach. I will be looking for a new isp.

OT: Anyone willing to start a petition or at least a shirt to boycot or protest smartbro? hahah
    SmartBro really sucks!

20. djwoblely

djwoblely Member

I have called them plenty times by the way. They said that they are trying to fix this but sometimes the tech representatives did not know what a DNS poison was.