Finally OS X 10.4.11 on my ibook G4 1.33

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by macgrecia, Mar 2, 2010.

1. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

As promised, here's my mac after installing MAC OS X 10.4.6 at YNZAL. They said it's a logic board prob but I think they're wrong. It's more of a software issue instead. I'm glad I learned so many things about this machine, I've dismantled it using a small screw driver, pry it off with my guitar pick, and straightened bent speaker pins ;)

before (Jaguar OS):
    [​IMG]

now:
    [​IMG]

Big Thanks to everyone who helped me!!! GodSpeed!!! :)

It's quite an experience...

BTW If ever you need my help, feel free to send me a pm ;)

#1 macgrecia, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

is the airport detected and working?

3. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

yep bro it's working, bluetooth is also working as well

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

that's great...these little old machines still do kick ass, don't they? :D

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So, what did you have to do to get it to work? :)

6. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

It appears that only a 10.4.6 installer specific to ibook G4 1.33 will do the trick. The slot loading dvd is already choosy so it maybe part of the problem too. After the installation, it freezes when I try to browse using Safari 2 which is expected because it's already outdated but after updating to 10.4.11 which has the Safari 3 it's running smoothly. I'm only having prob with Safari 4. I also took advantage of checking the board/connections while it was dismantled where I also found the bent speaker pins. My only concern right now is the bottom shield where I found 2 screw holes with copper rings which probably have a purpose. Thus, it could also be the reason why it still freezes sometimes when it wakes up from sleep mode. This is a second hand unit and some screws are already missing. I'll find screws to fill these holes.

indeed mate :)

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

That iBook has more problems than you care to admit.

8. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

Maybe you're right sir but maybe I'm right too that's why I took the challenge...
    Actually i'm using it right now and it's perfectly working, I managed to replace the track pad and fill out the holes with their missing screws and it's not freezing... it's so amazing...
    [​IMG]

I'm not expecting everybody to believe me... just like Henry Ford, nobody believed, they laugh instead, and even thought he was crazy... same with the others who keep on believing that it could be possible while almost everyone were giggling...

Peace to everyone and a blessed wonderful day... cheers!

@mark_17
    Thanks for the screws/parts, track pad is working perfectly, i'm using it now with Safary 4 and still no sign of freezing...

p.s.
    one minor concern, anyone who has a spare rubber stand (the one that covers the screw at the back cover)? TIA

#8 macgrecia, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. JohannChua

JohannChua Active Member

Congratulations! I'm also a current iBook G4 OS X 10.4 user. Do you have the Macworld Total Tiger special? Lots of good tips and a DVD-ROM with plenty of apps too try out. Don't need it anymore so you can have it if you like.

10. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

Thanks!

Macworld Total Tiger special would be great sir, how can I get it? BTW I'm here in Makati. Thanks!

#10 macgrecia, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. JohannChua

JohannChua Active Member

I can meet with you in Glorietta or Ayala Station. PM me for my cellphone number so we can set the schedule.

12. carlodude

carlodude Member

Congratulations for making it work.

I would have done the same if I were in your shoes.

Enjoy your iBook.

13. macgrecia

macgrecia New Member

Thanks and GodSpeed sir!