File sharing between Mac Leopard and Windows

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by emcue, Nov 7, 2007.

1. emcue

emcue Member

I am using a macbook (Leopard OSX) and a windows desktop

Right now I cannot find my computer (Mac) on my windows PC under network neighborhood. What settings should I change?

I can see shared folders of my windows PC from my Mac tho.. Can someone post a step by step process for sharing mac folders on a windows PC?
    Thanks

2. blacksocks

blacksocks Member

Enable File Sharing in your System Preferences and add the folders you want to share and the users you want to access those folders. Make sure SMB is selected under Options.

3. emcue

emcue Member

Already did, i even added the folders that i want to share, but when I accessed it on a windows computer, it only displayed the Public folder.

4. iNick

iNick Member

on your windows machine goto RUN and type in //IP.ADDRESS.OF.MAC

or

afp://ip.of.your.mac

is this a small home network?

5. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

reviving this thread:

i have the same problem as the TS. my mac is already visible to the other PCs in the network but the only folder that they can access is my Public Folder even though i've already shared several other folders. any solution to this? i have no problems accessing the shared folders of the other PCs in the network though.

6. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

Just a clarification. Do you mean that the other folders that you shared are visible but the PC/Windows users just cannot see their contents?

You may still need to modify the permissions on the each of the folders that you shared. Even if you allowed users to do everything (read, write, change, etc) on the shared folder but the permissions on the folder itself is restricted to you, they will not be able to do anything.

7. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

No. Other than the 'Public Folder' and its contents, nothing else is visible to the other users in the network. the shared folder itself is not visible. For example, i would like to share my 'Documents' folder. i've already ticked the shared folder box on it but the other users in the network still can't see it.

i'm sorry, but what do you mean 'permissions on the folder is restricted to me'?

here's a screenie of a folder i want to share (kindly tell me if something is wrong):

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/813/picture2csb.png

8. jayteecie

jayteecie Member

Try this:
    1) Go to your Network places
    2) On the left pane, click Add a network place
    3) In the window that will appear, click next > select Choose another network location then next
    4) In the empty box, type \\name of your mac\name of your shared folder
    Click next then give it time to show that folder

9. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

@suavegabe: I looked at your screenshot and everything seems to be in order. See what happens after you try jayteecie's suggestion.

BTW, what are the permissions on the Movies folder? If jayteecies steps still don't work for you, try adding 'Read only' access to everyone, if it's not been granted yet. Then try again.

#9 arelcee, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  10. berniej

berniej Active Member

If you have a reliable constant internet connection, just use Dropbox. That is how I share files among my home computers *and* it also helps on dual-boot systems that does not recognize the file system of each other.

11. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

@jayteecie
    i'll try that out later. though it's a bit of a hassle to do that on every time i want to share a folder. it would be nicer if the users in the workgroup could just see my mac, open it and view all the shared folders.

@reivi400
    permissions for 'Everyone' are already set to read only and still no go. :(

@berniej
    that's actually what i'm avoiding; i don't like moving files to the Dropbox/Public Folder just to share them and then move them back again to un-share.

12. c_fred_2

c_fred_2 Member

Once you share a folder on a network it doesn't always show up on other computers right away. There are even times that it would take up to 15 mins before the shared folder would show up on other machines. I guess it has to do something to the network not refreshing right away or something. Try this steps if it works:

1. On the PC go to Start > Run.
    2. Type in "\\MacName\SharedFolderName" then hit enter
    (MacName should be what you named your mac, SharedFolderName is the folder name which you shared on the network)
    3. Should then prompt you for credentials. Enter everyone as username and leave password blank. (assuming that you did not enter any password for the everyone account)
    4. If the folder is indeed shared properly the folder should open up on a new window.

If this still doesn't work restart both computer, restart your router or access point. Wait 5-15mins and try to access the folders again. Oh yeah one more thing, disable any firewalls on the pc, goes both for the windows firewall and any antivirus firewall.

Here's an overview of my home network, file and printer sharing works fine.
    1 macbook (leopard 10.57)
    2 laptops (Vista Basic, Vista Premium)
    2 desktops (XP, Vista Ultimate)

Tell us how it goes. Good luck bro.

13. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Im planning to share files between my mac on Leopard and my PC on XP. The first step I notice is to turn the windows file sharing, but I cannot find the option on that, only file sharing. are the two the same?

[​IMG]

Already added a public folder on PC and i see it na. already checked the file sharing in preference pane. question is, how do i see the folders on my PC? I can see the public folder that has a "drop box" file folder in it.

#13 ijingo, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  14. c_fred_2

c_fred_2 Member

ijingo yes, the 2 are just the same. You just add new folders you want to share on the right pane under the shared folders column by clicking the plus button underneath it, and don't forget to assign at least a 'Read only' access to the user.

[​IMG]

15. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Thanks Fred, its the reason why I cant see my mac on my PC. will update in a while if it works.

16. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

I use Dropbox - a perfect alternative to Mobile Me

my cousin recommended this cloud-storage service, FREE account comes with a 2gb storage

iPhone / iPod Touch app available here

17. seabournlegend

maybe OT,

before, in windows xp, my shared folder in my xp laptop was always visible in the sidebars, now in windows 7, i must manually connect using Go>Connect to Server function...

is there a way wherein the shared folder is automatically available at the sidebar?

thanks!

18. hiromi_777a

hiromi_777a Member

Mine is the other way around. I can share files and folders from my mac but my mac cannot access files from my pc. My pc should appear in the finder sidebar right? But it seems my mac cannot detect my pc or something.

I have no idea how will I be able to access my pc files.:( Can anyone help? Thanks!

19. giuli

giuli Guest

Hi I have the same problem about my mac not being able to access the shared folders on our home PC, but I think I've found the culprit.

If you're running Norton AntiVirus on your PC, it blocks your mac's access of your PC's shared folders because of a perceived intrusion: http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/attacksignatures/detail.jsp?asid=21802

now I want to try to uncheck this "SMB Server Transaction Name BO" under Signature Exclusions, (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/mac-os-1058-october-22nd-updates-blocking-smb-traffic) but I'm not so sure if the PC would be safe.