FCP X: the new Final Cut Pro (2011)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by essay, Apr 13, 2011.

1. macnoob

macnoob Member

actually, my real problem sir is the humongous file size of the fcpx output when i use share > export media. I bought the insanely expensive compressor 4 because i thought i can convert the fcpx output to mp4 or avi or reduce the file size pero i dont know how to do it or if it's possible hahaha help :(

btw i tried converting the fcpx .move file output using xilisoft video converter pero hindi siya gumagana hindi raw convertible yung file :(

hahahaaha i accidentally figured it out!! woohoo! what i did was to share > export media > changed the output settings to H.264 i dont know what the heck it means, pero the file output was in .mov and the size was 75% smaller and it plays on vlc and it can now be converted! wooohoo! thanks :)

2. iAlex

iAlex Member

im so excited using FCP. :( once ive got my macbook. ill definitely install this! :)

3. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I still prefer iMovie and its FREE! :) . Most of my productions came from iMovie, i just put simple line titles.

Brace yourselves, FCP X questions are coming. - Pirates of the Caribbean

*if you know what i mean*

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

of course! you probably tried to export prores versions :D instead of h.264, which is a compression standard used by many cameras, software and playback devices.

i tried editing my son's video project on imovie and gave up in half an hour. :eek: so yes, you get what you pay for. :slanted:

after FCP X, i am never going back to imovie! :p especially since i already paid for it. :D

5. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

I think its unfortunate (or fortunate?) that the ones who really, really like FCPx are those who are moving up from iMovie. In this situation, what you're getting in FCPx is a great software that does everything you want and more.

Its the pros who are moving DOWN from FCP7 that are pissed off. Pissed off enough to switch to Premiere Pro, with some even moving away from the Mac altogether (I may be one of these in the next few months - Hello again PC, viruses, configuration, etc).

BTW, Adobe has reported a 45% increase in sales of Premiere Pro in 2011. I think its all those FCP users jumping ship.

rgds/

6. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Actually what is interesting is the choices are now between Avid and Adobe in the studios internationally and locally.

Even if hardware companies like Blackmagic Design, AJA or Matrox, provide support for FCPx. Professional users are not bitting the bullet.

Its more of a wait and see attitude.

7. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

8. derk_so

derk_so Member

i just used the FCPx for my latest project, a 2min AVP. I must admit coming from FCP7 it's quite hard to re-learn everything but the additional effects and transitions made life easier not to rely on 3rd-party software. I'm still looking for good basic tutorials so that i could be more efficient on my next project.

9. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

Guys, need your help. I have a US iTunes account and a PH iTunes account. My US iTunes account only runs on gift cards for payments while my PH iTunes account is associated with my credit card. My question is will I be able to purchase FCP X via my PH iTunes account and gift it for my access on my US account? Anyone tried this already?

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^What I do is use my US account for iTunes purchases (iOS apps, music, movies, etc.), then use my PH credit card (different account) for the App Store for OS X purchases— FCP X, Motion, Logic Pro X, utility apps, etc.

11. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

Thanks for the reply. My US iTunes account is the default account in my Macbook pro. If i switch to the PH account to purchase FCP X, do i need to make the PH account on my mac the default one in order for me to use it. Or will it work if i switch temporarily to the PH account for purchase and then once it's installed in the MBP, switch back to the US account?

The primary reason why I want to switch back to the US account is because my main iMessage/Calendars/Contacts are registered through the US account.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^If I recall it correctly, you can switch accounts at will. It's just a hassle for me, which is why I keep all big purchases (OS X) on my PH credit card, and all small purchases (iOS) on my US debit/prepaid account.

13. essay

essay Active Member

Once you purchased FCPX thru your PH account, the app is available on your Mac, system wide. Meaning, whether you're in PH or US (or whatever) account, FCPX can be launched and used. Switching iTunes accounts matters only when purchasing and updating your app and not when using it. :)

I've purchased FCPX thru my PH account. I switched back to my US iTunes account as my default, and I'm enjoying the app with no hassle.