FCP X: the new Final Cut Pro (2011)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by essay, Apr 13, 2011.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^The majority of Apple's London announcement--support for plug-ins, export capabilities, etc.--were expected. The lack of backward compatibility with FCP7 projects is also not a surprise. Anyone who still expects or demands it has not figured out that one is a square peg, while the other a round hole.

The only thing that was a welcome surprise is the continuation of FCP7 sale to enterprise customers. That should keep edit shops from immediately switching to Avid or Adobe, although frankly, I don't see why anybody would switch all of a sudden. FCP7 has not been updated for over a year, yet people didn't switch during that time. It will continue to be productive for another two years, at least. By then, FCP X would've surged past puberty. ;)

2. hitman

hitman Member

3. kmtanmd

kmtanmd Member

Nice app... Great! It's like iMovie Pro... Hehehe. Anyway, OT:how can i start a new topic? I cant seem to make one with my tapatalk... Hehehe

4. reytomanila

reytomanila Member

5. poleng

poleng Member

damn! that's freakin expensive!!

im still sticking to my FCP studio 3 its working fine, it runs smooth all my plugins are supported and the big advantage for me is the XML import/export from FCP to premiere CS5 and vice versa. this is a BIG plus if i need to work on a project that was edited in premiere pro.

there's no need to upgrade, REALLY.

6. tedmosuela

tedmosuela Member

Autodesk Smoke is a finishing software and is so much different from FCP, Premiere and After Effects. The current SRP of the Smoke for Mac system is considered affordable compared to the Linux version which cost around the $100,000. mark.

Since the introduction of the Smoke for Mac, Most local post houses servicing the TVC industry has incorporated the Smoke to their online finishing workflow. Smoke for Mac somehow democratized the Finishing Suite market as the Smoke for Mac has been priced relatively affordable compared to other hi-end finishing systems like Flame, Quantel etc. While the usual workflow of mid sized posthouses is using FCP for offline and After Effects / FCP for online, It is now a viable solution to use for Smoke for Mac for online finishing. With using a true finishing system like the smoke, project turnaround will be much faster as tracking, cleanups, chroma keying and compositing is a breeze in smoke.

Local post houses who has the Smoke for Mac system includes undergroundlogic, welovepost, fluidpost and giantsponge. For the Linux version, Optima Digital has it together with the Autodesk Flame, Flare and inferno. These are expensive finishing systems the cost hundreds of thousands of dollars...

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

8. jquinto

jquinto Member

Yeah, I was kinda excited for this. XML is a huge thing for workflow in professional environments today but FCP X still needs a lot of MAJOR updates to "graduate" from its current hobbled state.

It's starting to look more functional, but still not a viable option for production environments.

For now.

9. Salaryman Ryan

I agree but its a step in the right direction. Those who have followed Apple for at least ten years knows that Apple tends to release very not so good 1.0 version products. A few examples would be

- OSX (Too heavy for the hardware of that time)
    - iPod (only Mac, only Firewire compatible)
    - iPhone (no apps no cut and paste?!!)
    - First Macbook Air (Slow, hot, hobbled CPU)
    - etc

But usually underneath these relatively substandard version 1.0 releases are very sound philosophies and solid frameworks that Apple eventually builds on release after release. OSX only really took off after Tiger. The iPhone built steam only a few revisions later then the SDK was released. The Macbook Air started as an overpriced slow toy into a slick, fast and most desired laptop among Apple's line if not in the industry.

I'm confident that Final Cut Pro X is no different and it will eventually mature into a very beautiful and slick pro editing app.

10. macbookproi5

macbookproi5 Member

is there a tutorial site on this one?

is final cut pro better than adobe premiere?

#150 macbookproi5, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  11. imabs

imabs Active Member

you know so much, Ted. ;) i don't know if RoadRunner has changed their editing systems? and most of the small post prod houses uses basically Mac systems with FCP, AE, Maya and Cinema 4D.

FCP is way better that Premiere in terms of work flow and the ability to parallel your editing style that makes you work efficiently without thinking too much on looking for the things that you need in editing.

12. essay

essay Active Member

Have been using fcp x the past couple of days for a short clip, just 3 minutes, no heavy lifting, just straightforward documentary/interview style, basic color matching, cross dissolve, lower third titles.

While I like how FCPX is intrusive and simple to use compared to previous version, I find it very slow on my Mac. It also makes my Mac sluggish in using other apps (mail, safari, word) when fcp is open.

I checked apple discussions and I found out I am not alone. There are long threads and rants about it.

Anyone experienced the same and found a solution?

I'm using an MBP 2011 by the way. i7 2ghz, 4gb ram.

13. Salaryman Ryan

It seems that FCPX is very RAM hungry. I was in the same situation as you and noticed that bumping up our RAM to 8GB helped a bit. We even tried it on our i5 iMac that has 16GB and it was even more responsive.

14. essay

essay Active Member

I meant, "While I like how FCPX is *intuitive and simple to use..."

I'm thinking of bumping up my RAM. It's a pity though that the performance is unacceptably sluggish for a basic MBP. It was not like this with the previous version (FCP 7).

Some comments in apple discussion suggest that it's a first version bug and that Apple has to fix it a bit to make it more responsive. Aperture 1.0 was RAM hungry and has improved in performance in its later iterations. I hope it's that way with FCPX.

15. winn_316

winn_316 Member

16. Salaryman Ryan

17. winn_316

winn_316 Member

18. macnoob

macnoob Member

hi gang,

I'm using FCP X, pero i can't seem to figure out how to convert the output movie from .mov to .avi.

I exported the movie via: Share > Export Media > Then ok.

The output is a the movie in .mov format. Obviously the file is very big, and It can only be played via Real Player. I can't play it via VLC. It shoots an error message

"VLC Video does not support "apcn", unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this"

I tried using video converters such as XILISOFT converter, pero ayaw gumana, nageeror.

What can i do to convert the FCP X output from .mov to any formats para lumiit and maging compatible sa VLC?

Thanks!

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^do you need to convert your video only so it can play on VLC? why not just play the video using quicktime?

but if you insist, there are plenty of video converters on the mac app store. or download isquint or handbrake.

20. marklj

marklj Member

Hi guys. Just got myself a fcpx. And still learning the ropes. Im a newbie in the video editing world:)

My question is what is magic bullet looks and what is it for? I know it's for color correcting but can't fcpx do that? Sorry for the *toink* question. But can I use magic bullet looks as my primary video editing software? And not use fcpx anymore.

Also what does fcpx have over adobe premiere 5 and vice versa?

Thanks guys