FCP X: the new Final Cut Pro (2011)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by essay, Apr 13, 2011.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

After having read so many reviews and gripes, I still don't see how Apple is turning its back on the pro market with FCP X.

2. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

By the way, what will happen to Final Cut Server?

3. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Sir Elbert let me give scenarios on how the pro market uses FCP for TV Commercials

Digital Cinema Cameras like RED, has plugins to allow it to mount, log, and transfer into the FCP timeline. With this, we are able to edit 4K (using proxy), and convert it to a Broadcast Tape Format like Betacam SP. Now before it becomes a tape master the project being made would go thru After Effects, Photoshop, Maya, 3D Max, Da Vinci Resolve, Smoke, etc. etc.. And then there are also the 100s of plugins that work together with FCP as well. After this, there is also the approval process, and the various versions that are needed for every approval.

Then you also have an Editor's Cut, Director's Cut, Agency's Cut,

Then you repeat this process again for the Audio Layer. Then if you plan to create a 3D version or you want to create a Tele Cine copy for Movie Theater release you add a new set of layers prior to the final output.

This gets more exciting once you put into consideration all the various formats that video need to be on. Mobile Phones, Handeld devices, Apple line of consumer devices, Web, Digtial Projection, TV with NTSC and PAL Standards, and now, the various flavors of HD.
    Now this scenarios completely changes the ballgame.

This complicated output is done right everytime because of the multitude of tools that allow you to work better. From Professional Monitors, Color Grading Panels, Stereoscopic Editing, Audio monitoring, Broadcast Grade Monitors and SAN/NAS Integration.

So this "ecosystem" of the pro market was actually really revolving around the Final Cut Studio and its slew of Hardware partners that create the necessary "connections" so video can go from point A to point B.

So yes, there is tremendous outpouring of opinions, when these connections stop being compatible. Which people are foreseeing with the FCP X being the lone application while the Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Server are dropped.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Vut are those plugins and connections dropped for good or is it a matter of those companies keeping up and releasing updated plugins?

And why shift to FCP X if the previous version still works?

I'm not an editor, obviously, but I'm trying to understand the scenario.

5. dvsadvocate

It will depend on the third party developers of these plugins if they will update it or not. Even if it does, its another purchase altogether for those new set of upgrades which means more cost for the Production companies.

Speaking of cost, all those hardware mentioned by dexterandrada costs thousands of dollars and if they dont work well with the new software, they could just might as well be paperweight.

I guess, editors and production companies always want to have the latest and greatest of equipment without breaking the bank and disrupting much of the workflow. FCPX is way ahead of its time I guess in terms of it features and compatibilities thats why a lot of pros are complaining.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^As soon as Apple releases the FCP X API, many of these compatibilities--hardware, plugins, export, etc.--will be resolved in time.

I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on FCP X. Am only deferring my purchase so as not to distract me from all the pre-production planning that must be accomplished first. We all know the detrimental effects of new toys! :)

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to summarize the situation, it's like Apple froze development of Final Cut Pro at version 7 (and dropped Final Cut Express as well), then replaced it with a brand new FCP called version X. Because of the 64-bit architecture of the new application, many plugins and peripherals, and most especially old FCP projects, are not compatible.

Which means, current and old projects will have to remain at FCP 7, and new ones can start with FCP X. Right?

I'm thinking, that once a project is done, it no longer needs Final Cut. If it needs to be edited again in the future, then FCP 7 can be used.

Any new projects from here on in can start with FCP X right? If an editor has a problem with that, he/she can continue using FCP 7, right?

Even further, to get back at Apple, users can just ditch Apple and go with Adobe Premiere Pro, which is not only cheaper, but is being offered for half the price if switching from FCP.

8. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

mismo. nobody's forcing anyone to migrate to FCP X. Ever since it was released, most of my editing projects here in the office has been edited with X. My old FCP 7 projects can still be opened with FCP 7 if I need them.

9. dvsadvocate

Thats correct Elbert, but in the latter part of your statements, thats more in line with the workflow of editors that just edit with Final Cut Pro and not maximize its other capabilities such as using it with output hardware, plugins etc. =)

10. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Sir Athan, the projects that you do where do you show it? And what equipment do you have in your office as well? The reason i am saying this is if your happy with FCP X, i want to get an idea of the crowd that is happy with FCPX.
    Are you affected by your plugins not working in FCPX? Or you can view on a broadcast monitor your edits?

thanks

11. infinity_gamer

I'm playing with FCP X now.... Want to revert lol... But I can use this for those quick cut to cut projects... but for my other serious media projects, the old ver still stands.

lol so funny FCP X was spoofed at Conan... Can't stop laughing.

Here

12. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

Our output projects are shown in filipino channels in the U.S. and Canada via Dish Network. Most of the stuff that we do are just filler pieces in between the pinoy shows we acquire.

eg. http://vimeo.com/24274418

And our equipment, hackintosh for FCS 3 and FCP X on my MBP. Regarding plugins, so far, I'm just waiting for Plural eyes to be supported, not entirely happy with the built in clip synchronizing feature on FCP X.

To give you a better idea why FCP X seems to be very beneficial to our workflow here in the office (we only have 2 video editors), ever since the advent of DSLR film making, that's what we've been using to shoot most of our programming. FCP X finally being able to work with DSLR file formats natively is heaven sent. No more transcoding.

Also, while we here at the office ain't exactly using the big machines or complicated workflows of other production outfits, we won't call ourselves amateur either, so the "Pro" in the Final Cut Pro X is still appropriate for us. :)

13. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

How do you send out your files to the Dish Network? And when you render it out do you use Compressor? In what format, codec, compression. Is this in SD format or HD? Kasi sa August pa magiging Digital HD ang Canada. Sa US you might be sending out HD.

Or better yet is DISH Network strict with the compliance of the submitted videos?

How long have you guys been running this project? Kasi i am sure you are flooded with a lot of files. How do you manage this with FCPX?

Interesting vid on Hijo.... :)

14. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

We shoot in HD but output SD files, our channels are SD pa lang kasi. Don't know when we'll start airing HD programming since everything we get is still SD (eg. News from NBN). For our original programming, I export to DVD or mini-dv and hand it over to our encoding team, then they convert it to mpeg2 that is compliant with whatever servers they're using (i have no idea what that is. Hehe).

Dish is strict, but I notice, mostly with audio.

15. reytomanila

reytomanila Member

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

As long as FCP 7 runs on our current and future it won't be a problem for us. I'll probably adopt X for serious work once it matures.

17. dvsadvocate

Give FCPX some time and it will be a powerhouse editing suite in the future.

18. chizbol

chizbol Member

What output hardware? FCPX was designed to be a file based suite. Output hardware will be your computer and output would be a file. The current pro hardware, aja, kona decklink and the likes are already available with fcs3 and nothing new.

Plugins? Effects and transitions? Thats for imovie users. Been using fcp For the past 10 years since version one and was apple certified since ver. 4. We do not put effects on the fcp timeline, compositing, sound design etc was always done outside fcp. It's used for initial cutting and assembly of final material. One of the most crucial, edl, is not supported in fcpx. It may help to know that we, pro editors were blindsided because when we tested fcpx before it came out, it was a totally different beast. Interface was the same as fcpx, but tools were all there, import from 7 was there. Edl was there, multicam was there. That is why there were no clamors from the testers.

19. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Another take on the FCPX

Fascinating... i hope it doesn't get pulled out. This is how FCP 7 feels with got EOL'd

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXepNCs_iZo&hd=1[/m]

20. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

More tidbits on what Apple will do next via MacRumors.

Considering FCPX is just $300, I guess Apple is tried to put something affordable for users to use and at the same time let old FCP users get used to a paradigm shift in workflow. Then they'll offer the missing features through plug-ins/modules. I'd like to think of it as Apple trying to give different video professionals the choices of plugins that will suit their workflow because everyone have different levels of video needs. But that's just my guess.