FCP X: the new Final Cut Pro (2011)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by essay, Apr 13, 2011.

1. essay

essay Active Member

Now called FCP X (not FCP 8), as it is rebuilt from the ground up. Skipped 8 and 9 altogether!

Macrumor coverage ongoing right now.

And photography bay live blog.

downloadable at App Store, starting June, for $299!

(Insane pricing! It used to be $999!)

#1 essay, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. samsnch

samsnch Member

"After a lot of hype, Apple did release a new version of Final Cut Pro, Version ‘X’, tonight at Supermeet at NAB in Las Vegas. IT will be priced at an astounding $299 and be available in June in the Mac App Store.

“Something as revolutionary as the first version of FCP when introduced in 1999.” It is rebuilt from the ground up, 64-bit, and will fully utilize all cores of all processors.

“Fully color-managed Final Cut based on colorsync.” “Resolution-independent playback system” Up to 4K formats. To be able to deliver that, “we’re leveraging Grand Central Dispath.” You can use all 8-cores. Background rendering built into application." (Source)

Some notes about the new FCP X.

• FCP X is rebuilt from scratch. Obviously done for an app that was last updated four years ago.
    • Finally! FCP X is now a 64-bit app that leverages Grand Central Dispatch for background rendering. Uses every available CPU/GPU cycle for faster processing.
    • Support for Cocoa, Core Animation, Open CL and Grand Central Dispatch.
    • NO INTERRUPTION for rendering. NO TRANSCODING. Drag-and-drop editing with the ability to edit media even before it is ingested in the project. Will silently switch from AVC to media drive once clip has finished ingestion.
    • Fully color-managed FCP based on ColorSync
    • Resolution-independent playback and timeline. Will play clips natively up to 4K.
    • Lots of automations. Auto audio cleanup, auto collections (Smart Collections), people detection, scene/shot detection,
    • Highly scalable. Will work even on a MacBook.
    • Non-destructive color correction. Will auto-correct clips during ingestion.
    • Magnetic timeline
    • Compound clips
    • Inline editor (Precision Editor)
    • Easier and faster auditioning of clips.
    • Range-based keywording
    (source) (source) (source)

Some screenshots of the new FCP X (source):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On an added note, Peter Steinauer, the Architect of Final Cut Pro, promised that the "all-familiar render bar will be history," to the cheers and applause of everyone inside. :D

3. charls17

charls17 Member

it really looks nice! quite imovie-ish but definitely refreshing/comfortable in the eyes!

4. samsnch

samsnch Member

Yep, I definitely agree. Working with a dark background tends our eyes to focus on the bright ones (in this case, the timeline and the output window), so the GUI refresh is both an answer to the aesthetic and functional needs of editors around the world. ;)

5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i sure hope it isn't imovie-ish. heck, even the ipad implementation of imovie is easier to use than the imovie for macs.

i am not a video editor, but for $299, imove from imovie. ;)

6. essay

essay Active Member

hahaha! you really have a funny mastery of words, rbenzon! :)

I like the pricing. Cheap yet pro!

But the questions left unanswered:

What happens to the other video apps in FCP studio--Color, Motion, etc? It was not mentioned in the keynote. Does the $299 include them or these are separate purchase?

7. samsnch

samsnch Member

The NAB 2011 FCP keynote did not included the whole FCS suite apps (Color, Motion, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro). And the $299 price only includes FCP X.

Perhaps Apple will release a proper pricing implementation soon, maybe June or July.

8. abcerase

abcerase Member

How about the formats it will support? Will be able to just drag and drop the movie files to the timeline from Nikon cameras, for example?

9. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Wow! I bought FCP in 2001 at an astounding price of around $2 k at B & H in Manhattan.

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i love that when it is released, it will be available to all of us on the mac app store. no more waiting; no customs hassles, not to mention DHL's earth-unfriendly plastic packaging the size of a whale's condom. ;)

11. samsnch

samsnch Member

As far as I know FCP X supports native non-destructive editing, so perhaps the answer is yes. After all, they announced earlier that FCP X will support 5DMkII H.264 files.

Epic. And yes, thank God for the Mac App Store. :D

No more whale condom! :D:D

12. abcerase

abcerase Member

Thanks for the info! I really hope the answer is yes :)

Honestly, I am thinking otherwise since Canon will be supporting Thunderbolt at first...

13. dexterandrada

dexterandrada Member

Is it wise to move to an i-movie inspired video editing platform that is being used by docus, tvcs, avp, etc...
    I know there are the long sought after improvements (64bit, multi threaded, etc..)

but an imovie skin? kinda confused there

14. samsnch

samsnch Member

FCP X is not entirely iMovie on steroids. Technically they use the same system (Quartz Composer) but the move to an iMovie-like theme is perhaps for standardization purposes.

And the demo version was actually the same as with the version demoed during the February reveal for selected users. Since then FCP X may have gone a long way...

And speaking of long way...

...it's great for FCP X to have elements from Color, Soundtrack Pro and Motion natively integrated into its system.

But again, what we saw was a February app. But hey, we only need two months to wait! :eek:

15. reytomanila

reytomanila Member

after seeing the new GUI now that's a wtf moment for me. the current fcp studio is okay for me so far. iMovie still confuses me, actually i deleted the app already to regain the disk space. i just hope this new X to the app does not mess up the keyboard shortcuts i'm accustomed to. adobe messed up cs4 to cs5 with misplaced and missing effects and shortcuts.

16. tedmosuela

tedmosuela Member

I honestly dont like the new interface of FCP X... they had removed the viewer, and replaced it with an integrated browser and canvas. They have removed the toolset and the tracks / layer functions found on the left of the timeline. I just hope they havent removed the timecode windows which i dont see right now on the demo pictures. Though background rendering, 64 bit processing and multi core support kicks ass, The new GUI just seems so complicated and unprofessional.

17. ryanfelipe

ryanfelipe Member

same here. i find the imovie more confusing than the current fcp. the only reason why it's still here is because my little sister find it more easier to use. lol.

18. abcerase

abcerase Member

Hopefully it will "somehow" change by June :)

19. winn_316

winn_316 Member

FCP X ... the interface seems totally ...

I hope media management has been improved ...