Fast Charge: How do you know if its really doing fast charge

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by neilc, Dec 31, 2019.

1. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

The new iPhones now have the ability to fast charge. How do we know if its really fast charging, of course aside from monitoring and comparing the charging time.

Samsung and other phones show it while charging (there's a notification saying "fast charging")

Hoping the iPhones can have that feature too.

2. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I don't think they have one yet. All we can do is check the battery percentage

3. snipes

snipes Active Member

You know it is fast charging if your charger is USB-C or if your USB charger is 12W output.

4. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree. Hope the next iOS could have a feature showing us how the phone is charging (fast or slow)

I bought a volt/ampere meter just to see of my USB-C to Lightning cable is capable of fast charge...

6. snipes

snipes Active Member

In my case I searched for 0-100% fast charging times of my devices and used that as basis whether the gadgets were fast charging or not.

Example

11" iPad Pro charge speeds to 100%
    • 12W charger 5 hours & 33 mins but at 7.5W as it doesnt support 12W
    • 18W charger 2 hour & 54 mins
    • 61W charger 2 hours & 36 mins but at 27-30W
    iPhone 11 Pro charge speeds to 100%
    • 5W charger 3 hours & 38 mins
    • 18W charger 2 hour & 10 mins
    • 30W charger 2 hours & 8 mins

7. ice

I can imagine scenarios where a small line in the home screen saying "charging rapidly" is handy.

Imagine borrowing a charger from a colleague. Upon plugging, phone says "charging slowly" (presently available on my Pixel), I can either continue charging... Or borrow another charger.

8. snipes

snipes Active Member

By default using usb-c to lighting cable is fast charging.

9. ice

I have a Baseus USB-C to Lightning... It does not fast charge

10. snipes

snipes Active Member

1. Is it cerified by Apple?
    2. Is it plugged into a USB PD charger of 18W or higher?

11. ice

1 - i don't think so
    2 - yes, only slow chargers I have are the ones supplied by Apple :)

Then again back to my earlier post... You borrow a charger and the only way you'll know it's not fast charging is after 2 hours...

12. snipes

snipes Active Member

Fast charging allows for 0-50% charging in under 30 mins.

By law all chargers of repute are required to print their wattage on the body shell of the charger.

If you are borrowing a charger without these legal requirements then you may have bigger concerns than waiting a few minutes longer.

Also, it does not make sense to use USB-C connectors for slow chargers or slow charging cables. That part is more expensive to use.

This is why $50 or $100 smartphones dont use USB-C but micro USB

raypin likes this.
  13. ice

I have started replacing my cables to USB-C ever since the Nexus 6P and MacBook came out.

C-C cables that are so old (and cheap) they can't charge my Macbook and Lenovo, they also won't fast charge anything.

So I was just looking at my office desk and charging corner at home with cables sticking out... There are always 2 USB-C cables available and 1 can fast charge.
    Anyone who goes to my desk can plug any device on that "fast charging cable" and it will get charged... If he/she uses the 2nd USB-C cable, it will charge at normal speed.

Thread started asking for an small iOS feature for the phone to tell the owner that the device is fast charging... Same like the one available for Samsung (and Pixel). For the phone to inform the user that the charger and cable are good. - remember when the iPhone informs the user that the lightning cable plugged was not certified?

Others will decide to read the numbers on the charging brick, check if the cable is MFi certified and check the battery level after 30 minutes

14. snipes

snipes Active Member

C-C cables are directly incompatible with iPhone. Devices that use these cables are off topic in this discussion

When I say "slow charger" & "slow cable" I am talking about those used in conjunction to the iPhone. These do not exceed 5W or even 12W.

You should always use cables & chargers certified by Apple or at the very least compliant with Apple's specs for the best experience.

My cousin died in Australia because of bargain bin USB cables and chargers.

Apple adding "Fast charging" is redundant if you use a certified USB-C to lighting cable & USB PD charger. If ja-fakes gamit mo then expect joke joke results.

Android need to show "Fast Charging" because Qualcomm's QuickCharge uses USB-A ports and non-standard QuickCharge USB-A cables. It was only later did they use USB-C connectors for fast charging.

Apple needs to inform end user that what they plug in is non-certified for liability and safety reasons. Last thing they want is for customers to claim warranty for damage resulting from non-certified accessories.

If Apple cannot be bothered to put a bandwidth meter or limiter for cellular data what more "Fast charging" notification.

15. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

It should chime twice when you plugged it in. However, apparently there are times when you use a third party charger that it would only come once even though it’s fast charging.

16. ice

Calm down :)

The thread is a wish list :) no one from Apple will ever see it...

Just for discussion about something "that would be nice" - and I posted arguments on "why it would be nice"

Reminded me when I was arguing about that strange Apple decision to put iOS' back button on the upper left part of the screen :)

neilc likes this.
  17. ice

Hmmm... never heard that Chime before... There's an Anker shop that opened nearby, will play with their cables.

Planning to replace my charging adapters again with GaN so I can also use it to charge my Laptop (and MacBook)

18. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Even if they don't put "fast charging" text on the lockscreen, maybe at least display "Charging power (W)" somewhere in Settings (maybe in Battery or About), like what they do in macOS' System Report.

19. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

Ok so that explains the double chime. I learned something new today. I only hear the double chime when using the usb-c to lightning cable to charge my phone

20. jawo

jawo Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would only chime twice if you start charging when phone battery level is below 70%.