Farewell FW400

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Elx200001, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

With the announcement of the new Macs today, Apple has stopped making macs with firewire 400 ports in it. I wouldn't really mind but was shown its importance last week.

I'd like to ask if it's something Mac users have use for on a regular basis.

2. itchan

itchan Member

I only use it when grabbing videos from my old DV tape camcorder (because it's the only available interface for my cam).

I'm no industry expert but it's a widely accepted fact that the consumer electronics industry is pointing towards USB. And now that USB 3.0 employs duplex communication, I think you're right, bye bye firewire.

3. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

I previously found out that the WD Passport Studio was able to share one drive with two computers. I just plugged the drive to an MBP's FW port and used a cable from the other FW port to another MBP and it automatically shared it. So sad that we now only get one FW port for the new models.

4. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

all my ext drives have fw400.. buti na lang pwede pa fw800..

5. sonn15

sonn15 Member

I bought WD Passport Studio to make use of FW400. I'll worry about its (FW400) absence when I upgrade to a newer Mac in about 2 years or longer. :)

6. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

haha same here. i have 2 EHD's on FW400 plus one EHD on FW800.

7. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

I really didn't have an issue not having fw400 until last week. Hehehe. I'm surprised that there aren't many places that sell fw400 - fw800 adapters.

8. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

I just bought a FW400 to FW800 cable so that i'll be able to use external drives even without FW400 ports

9. raygun

raygun Member

i tried daisy-chaining a 2.5" to mbp usb port then the mini drive to maxtor HD in fw400, vice versa. i thought it will work but it didnt. so i bought a sonnet firewire 400 - 800 adaptor in DG hk,

10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I only use FW400 with my old JVC MiniDV camera. All of my other peripherals/gadgets are either USB or FW800.

My wife had a FW issue when she bought the new MacBook Pro. Her external HD, where she keeps all her backups, was FW400. Since the new MBP only has FW800 and since she couldn't find her external HD's USB cable, she had to buy the FW400 to FW800 cable. Good thing Power Mac in Greenbelt 3 had stocks.

11. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

can you still use the target disk mode with firewire 800?

12. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

@h.chua

Yes, you still can.

13. ckyboy

ckyboy Member

yep same here!